Am I understanding this Correctly?

domesticdiva

I'm a Disney addict :) .... and proud of it!!!
I was just looking throught the other posts and i want to make sure I am getting this right, if you are on the DDP and order your sit down meal a tip of 18% of your meals value is given to the wait staff on your behalf? Wow if thats true that is awesome!! I can't see having a problem with the wait staff then, they should be more than happy with a guaranteed tip of 18%, what an amazing deal for us as well to not have to tip. I am a great tipper and dh is always saying I give to much, he'll be happy that we have the choice to not leave anything at all and still know that they'll get 18% out of it!! What a great deal!! :teeth:

I totally agree with this. You would think that with a tip like that, you would get great service. But I have to say... a few years ago we were at the Brown Derby and our server was horrible. I have to say I don't know if they were getting 18% back then. But right from the start when he found out that we were on the dinning plan he had an attitude. The server didn't even bring out our food, someone else did. Didn't have enoug silverware and we had to ask for more drinks. And at the end of the meal the servers brought us our check without asking if we wanted anything else. He also proceeded to say that even though the tip was included, we were free to tip more. Needless to say, we did say something to the manager. He gave us his business card and said that the next time we come to disney to call and we would get our meal on the house. He was very embarassed about his wait staff and said that something will be done. We did call the next time we were there, and let me just say that they were amazing and very attentive to us.

I know you didn't post this for me to go on about the service. But I just wanted to add my 2 cents. Thanks!!! And I have to say that was the only bad service we have ever had.

Again, thanks for letting we tell my story!!!!! I'm really looking forward to using the plan again now that DVC members can use it also.

Yes, I worry sometimes if the wait staff know they have a guaranteed tip they won't really try that hard. But I'm hopping that at disney they will strive harded in hopes that we will tip even more. It a win win situation for everyone.

I was talking to a friend yesterday who just got back from the World and was on the DDP. She was saying that they (her family...2 kids and 2 adults) had a really bad experience at Artist Point. She said as soon as their waiter learned they were on the dining plan, he "just quit waiting on them"....He became rude and snippy, was never around...they had empty drink glasses for the whole end of the meal, etc....

She said, maybe he was just having a bad day, but she wonders if it was because they were on the DDP.

At the more upscale restaurants, maybe the waitstaff feel that they are worth more then the 18%...just a thought

You would think that they would be happier but most arent. The reason seems to be that before the "guaranteed" 18% that they would not have to claim all of their taxes BUT since the change (and mainly more since its documented) then they have to claim all of their tips.

Kind of ticks me off a bit because the last thing that I want to deal with when I go to disney is a ticky, pissy, college student who reflects that frustration on me and my family all because he/she had to claim all of their taxes.

You think that they would be happy because I know that all people do not tip 18 and some not even the standard 15%.

Oh well...its still a vacation with free food...but if they do get snippy with me I have no problem on pointing it out to them (politley) and ask them why? :confused3

Last year, the first year of free dining there was a lot of talk about the tipping; because, the plan includes it. Somehow, Disney does something with DP tips and the staff actually nets about 10% in reality according to those reports from last years' posts. I think it's added to their paychecks; so, many taxes are applied to this this tip like Social Security tax, Federal, etc.

Unfortunalely, many waiters don't accurately report their tip money as income. Normally, it's not controlled by the employer like in this case with the DP; so, most wait staff can fudge their tip monies to a degree and therefore pay less on taxes. With the way Disney gives the staff their tip money, they can't fudge it. I'm not taking any moral ground, here; I'm just trying to explain why some staff are not thrilled about how they are paid their tips on the DP.

There may be more to it, but bottom line is the wait staff in reality is not getting the full 18%. I may not be explaining all of this properly, but we usually will give at least 5% more of the bill to compensate for this issue. Most people are probably not tipping extra; so, the staff is probably annoyed by DP patrons, now. More and more people are using the dining plan; so, it's hurting their pocket more and more.

Last year the tip was 15%. At least last year some of the non-Disney owned restaurants tip the server on the approximately $20-$25 Disney is paying the restaurant and not on the dollar amount of the food that we order.

I doubt it's hurting the Disney waiters. I suspect MYW Dining guests order more appetizers and desserts than cash guests and I doubt the average tip left by cash guests, particularly for buffet restaurants, is 18%. One complaint is on the timing of the compensation. Servers get cash tips immediately and I think they have to wait for their next pay check to get tips from dining customers. Not our problem but I can see a cash flow problem during the transition.

I haven't found any difference in service but I guess some servers, if the restaurant was overcrowded/understaffed, might give cash tables with a discretionary tip, more attention.

katebeth said:
I was talking to a friend yesterday who just got back from the World and was on the DDP. She was saying that they (her family...2 kids and 2 adults) had a really bad experience at Artist Point. She said as soon as their waiter learned they were on the dining plan, he "just quit waiting on them"....He became rude and snippy, was never around...they had empty drink glasses for the whole end of the meal, etc....

I think my waiter from Brown Derby switched to Artist Point. I have eaten at Artist Point a few times before and never had a problem. That really surprises me. But eveyone does have a bad day once in a while. :crazy:

We used the dining plan last Oct. and the tip was indeed 18%. I've also heard they split that amongst the servers and others. We only had one server who treated us differently when they found out we were on the dining plan and that was at Boma. She found out we were on the dining plan and literally did not return for an hour and a half after dropping off our drinks. I know this because there was always someone at our table...my huband and I took turns going to the buffett b/c we had small children w/us. We had to ask someone random to refill our drinks and go find her for us to get her back that early.
On a separate note, I understand the tax thing, but here's the the deal, if you're on the dining plan, you're far more likely to order appetizers, entrees and desserts...if you do that their tip if far greater than if you just order an entree. Yes, they do a little more work, but it seems to me they'd end up making more tip in the long run. And I agree with the other poster. When we had extraordinary service we tipped extra and this happened on many occasions. Thankfully our terrible waitress at Boma was the exception and not the rule. :thumbsup2

I definately noticed not nearly as good of service as we had received in the past before the DDP. This was at several places unfortunately and not a one time incident. I am sure they are less then happy with their real tips being reported, I personally like it. I pay taxes on all my income, so should others.

Lewisc said:
I doubt it's hurting the Disney waiters. I suspect MYW Dining guests order more appetizers and desserts than cash guests and I doubt the average tip left by cash guests, particularly for buffet restaurants, is 18%. One complaint is on the timing of the compensation. Servers get cash tips immediately and I think they have to wait for their next pay check to get tips from dining customers.

With with tips that are put on the credit card bill do the waiters get the money immediately or do they have to wait until the next paycheck. I would think that those tips would be documented.

The way I look at it there really isn't a difference between the 18% tip that they get on the dinning plan vs. a non dinning plan 18% tip other than waiting until the next paycheck to get the money. If they are supposed to split tips with other staff members they would have to do it in either case unless they don't accurately represent the cash tips and keep more than they are supposed to. As for taxes they are supposed to declare the cash tips so the only change is that the dinning plan forces them to declare the tips. So the only downside I see for the wait staff on the dinning plan is delay in getting paid until the next pay check, inability to cheat on income taxes and if they are so inclined an inability to reduce the amount of tips they are supposed to share. It is hard for me to feel they are getting a bad deal with a guaranteed 18% with the only condition being they have to follow the rules like everyone else.

Yes.... and at a couple restaurants where we got superior service (Boma, Ohana and Coral Reef) we left extra. Those servers rocked.

Bete said:
Last year, the first year of free dining there was a lot of talk about the tipping; because, the plan includes it. Somehow, Disney does something with DP tips and the staff actually nets about 10% in reality according to those reports from last years' posts. <snip> There may be more to it, but bottom line is the wait staff in reality is not getting the full 18%.
Ah, but they still earn 18% of the check in tips; that formerly the Disney servers (and currently most other servers nationwide) opt not to report all their tip income despite that being required by the IRS, well, that still doesn't excuse poor service - especially when it can be directly connected to being on the Dining Plan, as with an above poster's friend. So, anyway, they're getting the full 18% - at least in Disney-owned restaurants - of the check, now they're just being required to pay taxes, social security and medicare on those earnings (just like the rest of us :))

Lewisc said:
One complaint is on the timing of the compensation. Servers get cash tips immediately and I think they have to wait for their next pay check to get tips from dining customers. Not our problem but I can see a cash flow problem during the transition.
Okay, I can see that maybe being an issue in the first two weeks of the Dining Plan, or the first two weeks of a new server's employment, but not any longer than that. Plus, I'd think all servers also get parties not on the Dining Plan, so do earn some tip money on the spot.

Pedler said:
With with tips that are put on the credit card bill do the waiters get the money immediately or do they have to wait until the next paycheck. I would think that those tips would be documented.
I'm reasonably certain they'd need to wait and get paid those tips in their regular pay - which is why when I do pay for my restaurant meals, I tip cash no matter how I pay for the food :)

Curious about the "when she found out we were on DDP" comment, is this something you must disclose, like a coupon, when you sit down to eat? :confused3

poohluvrs said:
Curious about the "when she found out we were on DDP" comment, is this something you must disclose, like a coupon, when you sit down to eat? :confused3

No, it isn't. We never told them until it was time to pay.

kbmoo said:
Yes, I worry sometimes if the wait staff know they have a guaranteed tip they won't really try that hard. But I'm hopping that at disney they will strive harded in hopes that we will tip even more. It a win win situation for everyone.

In December everyone was great except at Le Cellier. Pretty much the same experience as the previous poster (except the extra tip hint) Our waiter brought everything out and constantly checked on the table next to us, someone else brought our stuff. If you've ever been to Le Cellier you know the tables are practically together so that seemed to make it extra rude - especially since his butt was literally in my face as he was serving the other couple that paid cash. I kept having to lean in the opposite direction.

Keep in mind that if you don't reveal you're on the Dining Plan until the end of your meal, your server cannot advise you if you order something which isn't on the plan.

poohluvrs said:

The isntructions tell you to inform your server when your're seated and servers generally ask. It gives the server a chance to tell you in advance what's included. It also saves time, if you wait until you get your check the bill has to be re-done.

bicker said:
Keep in mind that if you don't reveal you're on the Dining Plan until the end of your meal, your server cannot advise you if you order something which isn't on the plan.

We didn't have a problem while there - we knew what the meal plan included and ordered accordingly. But of course we ate at 5 buffets where what it included is obvious. The 2 non-buffet meals we had were pretty easy to figure out for us. However, it would be a good idea to ask them at the beginning if you're not sure. I was not told that I was to tell them when we were seated, however. I was only asked when I made my ADR's, not when I was seated or greeted!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter