American Airlines Customer Service, I'm disgusted! long

Reading this thread brought back memories of our frustrating experience with AA last month when we flew down to Disney World.

We, too, had our flights changed WITHOUT any notice. When we used Northwest and Delta before, they notified us via E-Mail or by phone when there are changes to our scheduled flights; therefore, I naively expected AA to do the same. If we had not checked, we would have not shown up at the airport at the wrong time. Then, when we bought our tickets, I made sure they were altogether since we were traveling with three little kids (8, 6, and 3). When they changed the flights, AA split our seating arrangements out to 2 in row 11, 2 in row 16, and 1 in row 27. When I requested the seats to be closer together, I was told they couldn't change the seats because the flight was booked, and AA had no way of knowing these are little kids. If we bought our tickets together, why don't they put our seats near each other when they made the change? It would only makes sense that if we pay for five tickets at the same time with the same credit card that we're traveling together. We also tried to have the rep. at the gate to help, and she was even ruder than the agent at the ticket counter.

I told DH that we'll have to use a different airline next time!

OMG, I never imagined they would have changed our seats! I'll call now! What a pain! Linda

:wave:
Another unhappy AA customer here. :p They are terrible.
And FW/Dallas is the only airport we have learned from personal experience to avoid if at all possible!

One of the best parts of being a reasonably consistent reader of the USENET newsgroup rec.travel.air is to watch the carousel of complaints go 'round: "Don't fly American!" "Don't fly Northwest!" "Don't fly Southwest!" "Don't fly Delta!" "Don't fly US Air!" "Don't fly United!" and so on. The only airline that was immune from its ride on the carousel was Midwest Express, and that ended a year ago; now there are complaints about them in proportion to their patronage as well.

The American domestic airline industry is what we, the flying public, has made it.

Actually, I was pleased with our experience using AA. I particularly dislike flying, so I'm never going to be "happy" about it, but I really had no complaints. I much prefer AA over Southwest. They were considerably more expensive but then again I was actually able to get a flight out, unlike Southwest who advertises great prices but when you go to book always seem to be sold out on the cheap fares. AA planes are larger, cleaner and much more comfortable. The biggest difference is the ability to get an assigned seat. I won't use Southwest again just because of this one issue. You have to arrive early enough at the airport as it is. To have to be there even earlier, then stand in line for an hour before the flight takes off just to get to sit together is something I won't do. AA did make some minor time changes on our flight, but then again I booked months in advance. They did change our seating once, but that was because they changed the plane we were flying. I got quite upset over that, but was able to choose alternate seating so it wasn't a problem. I could have requested flight status notification online, but it was simple enough just to check occasionally and see if any changes had been made.

"One thing that people seem to always forget about Southwest Airlines is that they provide NO Rule 240 accommodations"

Could you tell me what that is?

Originally posted by peachgirl
"One thing that people seem to always forget about Southwest Airlines is that they provide NO Rule 240 accommodations"

Could you tell me what that is?
Basically what it is is an agreement among major air carriers that in case of interruption in passenger itineraries (i.e., flight cancellations, etc.) they'll accept each others' endorsed flight ticket coupons. In a nutshell, if you have a flight on Delta which is cancelled, Delta can make arrangements for, say, United to carry you to your destination instead, no additional charge to you. Many of the airlines that are part of the agreement guarantee that they will accommodate their passengers using this agreement when necessary and such alternative arrangements are available.

For example, your contract with American Airlines says, in part, "If the carrier causing such delay ... is unable to provide onward transportation acceptable to the passenger, any other carrier or combination of connecting carriers, at the request of the passenger will transport the passenger ... at no additional cost to the passenger..." Now there are lots of exclusions and conditions, but basically, that's the way it works.

At this time, at least the following airlines have signed onto that agreement: American, United, Delta, Continental, US Airways, and Northwest. I believe their affiliated subsidiaries are also part of the agreement. Southwest is not. If a Southwest flight is cancelled, you wait for the next Southwest flight.

Basically what it is is an agreement among major air carriers that in case of interruption in passenger itineraries (i.e., flight cancellations, etc.) they'll accept each others' endorsed flight ticket coupons

Thanks for the information. I knew airlines in some instances would "honor" competitor's tickets but never knew the details or that that Southwest didn't participate.

Basically what it is is an agreement among major air carriers that in case of interruption in passenger itineraries (i.e., flight cancellations, etc.) they'll accept each others' endorsed flight ticket coupons

Thanks for the information. I knew airlines in some instances would "honor" competitor's tickets but never knew the details or that that Southwest didn't participate.

Originally posted by bicker
One of the best parts of being a reasonably consistent reader of the USENET newsgroup rec.travel.air is to watch the carousel of complaints go 'round: "Don't fly American!" "Don't fly Northwest!" "Don't fly Southwest!" "Don't fly Delta!" "Don't fly US Air!" "Don't fly United!" and so on. The only airline that was immune from its ride on the carousel was Midwest Express, and that ended a year ago; now there are complaints about them in proportion to their patronage as well.

The American domestic airline industry is what we, the flying public, has made it.

Bicker, I read RTA frequently as well, but have rarely posted there. ;) I have noticed that as well. There always seem to be a rash of complaints from time to time saying this or that airline is the worst.. And then the others saying they are the best. What people in general seem to forget is you are buying passage on the airline from point A to point B. Flight schedules are always subject to change and when they do it is unfortunate, but part of the nature of the business. I think that when the times change by more than 3 hours, the customer has the right to cancel their tickets and get a full refund.. We will be seeing a lot more flight schedule changes in the future as airlines are constantly trying to adjust to become profitable again.

...the customer has the right to cancel their tickets and get a full refund.
And that's what happened to me with AA. But that didn't help me get from point A to point B by air. (For no reason given their flight was late and I wasn't allowed to board as they could not guarantee I would make my connecting flight.)
Knowing now what I didn't know then I would have been much more insistent for AA to get me on another airline, or get me as close to my destination as possible. They made very minimal attempt on anything, period and it was overly apparent they didn't care. (Two days before Thanksgiving 2000.)
Can't say that I have EVER had ANY issues on SW. Although I have not flown them for a few years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter