Amimal Kingdom tours

We are looking at booking either the caring for giants (elephants) or the rhino one. Would love to hear what these are like and if you would recommend one over the other. Thanks

I did the caring for giants tour about a year ago and it was a great value for the money. We ended up being the only ones on a 12:30 tour so we got to interact with the guides more and ask all the questions we wanted to. If you enjoy elephants and want to spend some more time learning about them and watching them it would be well worth your time. I am thinking of doing the Rhino one on the next trip, I've heard good things about that one as well.

We've done the Caring for Giants as well and loved it. I have the Rhino Tour booked for my trip in a week. A heads up on the Rhino tour, it books quickly.

My wife and I did the Caring for Giants tour about a year and a half ago. It was great. I can't say enough good things about the cast members. It was just us and one other couple on the tour. I would do it again in a heartbeat. It is a great value. I am thinking about doing the Rhino tour when we go in January.

I have done both. Caring for Giants is a unique tour, because not only do you learn about the elephants in their care at AK, you also get to spend time with a cast member from a country in Africa where elephants live. You can take as many pictures as you like, because the area where you see the elephants is “on stage “. The rhino tour was also excellent, although did not have the same cultural component. You’ll meet with several of the keepers who take care of the rhinos and they’ll explain their care and how they work with behaviors. You may have an opportunity to pet a rhino. This was really thrilling! However, it is dependent on the animal, so if it does not come over to the right area, then you’ll just look at it from a distance. But, the keepers are reinforcing this behavior, so they give the rhinos of food they particularly like to eat, and I’m under the impression they’re likely to come over. As this tour takes place entirely in the backstage area, you are not allowed to take any pictures at all.

Both tours were excellent, and well worth the cost.

does anyone know how far in advance this can be booked please?

I don't know for sure, but I would say as soon as you know what day you'll be at AK, then go ahead and try to book it. They only offer the Rhino tour once a day at 11am so it books very quickly.

I have been able to get day of tours for Caring for Giants both times I did that tour.

Was in WDW 2 weeks ago and was lucky to do both of them! BOTH of them are the better bargains in WDW. The caring for giants was way easy to get and I did see plenty of walkups on the day we did our tour and is held various time throughout the day and I believe every day. You get to go and see the elephants from behind the exhibit on the safaris. You can see the truck on the safaris driving and the elephants from a different side and for quit awhile with a CM who is from Africa who also explains all about them. It is actually pretty nice to see, you never get close to them as you are a bit far away but plenty of pictures of the animals just nothing else. Also one cool keepsake was the name tags you get for this tour, it is made up of Elephant Dung........yea, crappy paper or as they call it poopoopaper....
You can go to https://www.poopoopaper.com/en/ for some of your very own if you will......

The Up close with Rinos was the funner of the the 2 and was a bit difficult to get as I had to call several times to get as it is only offered 2 times a week, Mon & Sat the week we were at WDW, YMMV so call as soon as you can as I dont think you can book it online yet......You get to go on the CM side of things, which is cool to see, then you are driven to the rino enclosure where the caretakers talk with you, explain how endangered the Rinos are and what they do try help, then the coolest part comes next, as soon as we walked back the Rinos knew we were on our way as you see them looking to see whos coming in! They could not wait to walk up to where we were. The caretakers backed her up and there she was, one HUGE animal in all of her calm self, then as a family we all walked over to her and got to pet her, rubeed her side you can feel her skin, all the hair such a cool thing. She stood there so each of us got the chance, again as the caretakers mentioned, it was up the Rinos if this happens, but I can tell the rinos enjoyed the contact as much as we did, such a cool thing a man I would have gladly bought a photo but again you were backstage and no photos were allowed......Disney missed this one!

Sorry about the sideways pic but I have no idea why this happens, the first pic is the CM talking about the elephants and taking us to the observation area....

The last two were the only pics we could take of the Rino experience, you got to hold a sign up with the Rino names as a small memento and finally my wife wanted her hand with the mud on it from petting them still on her hand, she so loved this one! If you can snag reservations for either got for it you will love it and Disney need programs like this!!!

Attachments

• 20190826_101810.jpg
    20190826_101810.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 10
  • 20190826_102114.jpg
    20190826_102114.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20190826_104046.jpg
    20190826_104046.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20190927_202127.jpg
    20190927_202127.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20190831_120250.jpg
    20190831_120250.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 14

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter