An open letter to Disney about mandatory room checks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough. The OP posed the question “Who wants to pay $40 for parking at the parks or pay to park at their resort?” The way that was phrased made it sound like people have no choice but to pay $40 to park at the parks (because they actually don’t have a choice as to whether or not they pay to park at the resorts).

There are, apparently, people who want to pay $40 to park at the parks...because they have the option to pay $22.
A few short years ago there wasn't a preferred parking though..there was no charge to park closer. I think the point was the amount. It's quite high for the 'privilege' to park closer when just a few years ago you didn't have to pay more for that privilege.

Regular parking has also gone up rapidly. It was $15 for a while then went to $17 in 2014 then went to $20 in 2015 and now $22 in 2018. Just because the end rate is a smallish amount doesn't mean the increases haven't been significant in terms of the amount.

It costs $60 to pay for parking at my local NFL stadium if you purchase parking passes the day of. If you do it in advance it's $35. They just started doing day of parking pass pricing differences in 2015. In 2015 it was $30 if you bought at the gate, in 2016 it was $40 and then for the 2017 season it was $60.

Do you have to pay that insane $60 (that may be even higher for the 2018 season)? Nope, if you pre-purchase it's less, significantly so. But the point is still it's high and an increase at a very rapid rate in a short time. And the pre-purchased amount is also hard to stomach-it was $30 for the 2016 season and $27 in 2015.

So, are these rapid increases because they are forecasting the need to pay more than anticipated for the new construction going on or because less number of people are being forecast not to visit Disney? Either way, it won’t be an easy pill to swallow. It’s a calculated risk for Disney, in my view, but our economy could be riding at a potential peak of a bubble.

I think Disney is putting more of a burden on themselves. Let's say someone does bring in a bunch of guns and kills people. Won't all of the lawyers be claiming that Disney should have seen that? After all they are going into everyone's rooms every day specifically to look for that. I would be more worried about missing something then saying "how could we have known".

It's possible, but I'm no lawyer. I would think Disney would point to the fact that they made a REASONABLE effort to look in every room, every day. They can't check every drawer and closet on Disney property, but they are looking in every occupied room. Who knows for sure though.

An internet thread went off topic? Say it ain't so! ;) Although this did give me an idea. I'm going to train service dogs to alert people when room service comes in unannounced. That would solve several problems at once.

I knew I had some entrepreneurial motivation somewhere....

Scubacat...I will team up with you. (I'm very familiar with police K-9 dogs) We can install locked/electronic dog doors on every hotel room.
Fit the trained dogs with Mickey band collars.
Let's keep cost down, eliminate the need for more CM's to do room checks. The dogs will be in & out with one sniff. :tongue:
(And yes a quiet door bell will ring 2 minutes before room check so your not "surprised".)

If a guest is allergic then you get a CM or ........... Barney Fife. :teeth: Please alert front desk to your preference

yes I know this is a serious matter, but it's getting hot in here:firefight

Then maybe they need to take the time to read what they are agreeing to when booking.
To me, there is a big difference between reserving the right to enter a room for various reasons, and having a policy to enter the room every day. I do not believe the policy is made explicit in the booking agreement, and it is common for a hotel to reserve the right to enter in case of a problem.

Ok.. the constitution on this subject covers law enforcement and government access.. cut and dry there .. Disney can do what they are doing but they will loose resort guests doing it incorrectly and frankly invasive and not worth their overpriced resorts .
There is no real argument for the particular subject. Can they do it ? Yes , will it out people off ? Obviously... and no I absolutely don’t think it’s helpful in any way to protect guests or the liability of the resort.

Also ... if they come in with any room occupied sign up or without knocking and there is a nude child or teen in the room I guarantee there would end up being a lawsuit they will not win and would settle before anyone even knew and possibly a arrest of some kind ..

Okay back to seriousness. This is exactly why I want to see firsthand how they are doing room checks. If they walk in on a minor alone (while the parent may be showering or using the toilet) this could become a big problem.

The more I think about it the more I feel that “security” isn’t the motivation for these daily checks. But that it is mainly to make sure that there are no extra guests staying in the room.

So, are these rapid increases because they are forecasting the need to pay more than anticipated for the new construction going on or because less number of people are being forecast not to visit Disney? Either way, it won’t be an easy pill to swallow. It’s a calculated risk for Disney, in my view, but our economy could be riding at a potential peak of a bubble.
Well it takes money to operate a parking lot but I think increases could be due to increase of expenses, ability to get more money out of less people, because they can, etc. I don't any one reason is responsible for what I at least perceive to be a rapid increase in a relatively short amount of time.

The large majority of guests don't decline housekeeping so their experience won't change.

Guests who go to the parks all day throughout their stay will likely remain unaware of any room checks. But guests may get a knock on the door if they choose to sleep late or come back in the early afternoon, even if they have not opted out of housekeeping.

I'm pretty confident the large majority of people checking in for their vacations have no clue about this policy.
I spoke with my regular travel agent(who talked to a number of her colleagues )...didn't have any idea about the change in this policy. So while those of us on the Disboards are aware, I'll go out on a limb and say the majority of Disney visitors have no idea. Like as has been said before..there's a huge difference between "reserve the right to enter" and "we will enter daily". While it was a blip on some news networks, it isn't made clear to those actually booking a vacation. If you read some of the other message boards you will see that many have a serious problem with losing the do not disturb option, so this isn't a small number of people. Personally, I will go offsite for the next visit for multiple reasons. Cost, decreasing customer service, Parking fees and privacy

Question for those who have gone to WDW for a while. Can you imagine ever worrying about all of these things back in the day? It boggles my mind.

I agree with those who say that many travelers won't be aware of these policies (and fees). The first time travelers who seem to be the important visitors lately won't know the difference.

Keep in mind that this is my opinion, one that others share and some do not. There is no need to argue my points or "correct" my beliefs if you disagree.

I tend do agree. But I don't like the tone that comes across in posting your thoughts and telling others not to comment on them.

I didn't mention or mean to exclude Commenting. I was hoping to avoid Arguing & Correcting.

~NM

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter