• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

An open letter to Disney about mandatory room checks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If nothing else you got your message, as a long term DVC owner, that you are not happy with this new policy and procedure. The louder message would be to sell and tell them why. I just wonder; does it state anywhere in your contract with them what their uninvited entry rules are, and are they in compliance. Is there anything you can do via your DVC ownership?

I had/have my next three trips booked offsite, letting them know why. That means not only my daily room rate, but the money I spend at the food court, now my parking money and more dining will happen offsite rather than on property. My last stay (Easter) at offsite hotel was with a legit DND sign, a paper in my suite telling me to use it and they won't come in ... and a much nicer stay than my last at Disney. (no Disney, it's not industry standard)

I will just say I don't think this has anything to do with Las Vegas (most Disney rooms offer nothing like that kind of vantage point) and rather to do with another situation that has Disney the focus of some investigations. Sadly I think rather than invest in a long term security procedure - we got ........... this. :sad2: So likely your solutions won't help.

The 4th amendment does not mean what you think it means. Just like a lot of people do not understand the 1st amendment these days. You “really” can’t say whatever you want when you want.

Wow. Could you cut that to less than 10,000 words please? I quickly gave up, your post is waaaay too long.

Oh, I went back and saw My lawyer blah blah blah. Sorry, but I would pit Disney's lawyers up against yours. And not only because they have the funds to wrap someone up in court until their kids were 90.

My last stay (Easter) at offsite hotel was with a legit DND sign, a paper in my suite telling me to use it and they won't come in ... and a much nicer stay than my last at Disney. (no Disney, it's not industry standard)

Very nice- and interesting about the letter saying your DND will be honored. It must be a question they have to field at offsite resorts. That resort had a good answer!

Give an opinion, get an opinion. That's the way it goes.

OP shouldn't be telling people what should or should not be important to them.

There's a way to express an opinion without crapping on someone else.
Intelligent adults can engage in a discussion without bringing other people down or being childish.

Everyone is tough on the internet though.

There's a way to express an opinion without crapping on someone else.
Intelligent adults can engage in a discussion without bringing other people down or being childish.

Everyone is tough on the internet though.

Well, I don't think anyone was really that bad on this thread. I've read and been the target of worse! :rotfl:

I just wonder; does it state anywhere in your contract with them what their uninvited entry rules are, and are they in compliance.

The following is from the Terms and Conditions we signed when we became DVC Members:

Under Housekeeping - End of Page 15

"3. Access to Units and Vacation Homes. The owners’ association at each DVC Resort, and its agents, including the management company for the DVC Resort, its employees and designees, have the right to enter and access each Unit and each Vacation Home whenever necessary, including to inspect, maintain, repair, protect, or operate the Unit or Vacation Home; to determine compliance with the governing documents for the DVC Resort; or for health, safety, security or any other purpose."

I assume they determine whether they are in compliance.

The following is from the Terms and Conditions we signed when we became DVC Members:

Under Housekeeping - End of Page 15

"3. Access to Units and Vacation Homes. The owners’ association at each DVC Resort, and its agents, including the management company for the DVC Resort, its employees and designees, have the right to enter and access each Unit and each Vacation Home whenever necessary, including to inspect, maintain, repair, protect, or operate the Unit or Vacation Home; to determine compliance with the governing documents for the DVC Resort; or for health, safety, security or any other purpose."

I assume they determine whether they are in compliance.

Sounds like it. That is some pretty broad terminology. I am sure that is why they have come up with "dumb" reasons to enter some rooms, they kept it within the descriptions there. One poster said they were coming in to check the freezer (except sounds like that unit didn't have one), a few reports of inspecting fire alarms .... and so on. So they will give the excuses that keeps them this side of the line. o_O

I would hate for somewhere like a Disney resort experience what Las Vegas had happen - there are so many guests and families there. Although it is upsetting for some to have the extra security checks, I would rather be safe than sorry. If you feel the need for some privacy for napping/showering or personal reasons, put the chain latch on the door (if they still exist) as well. This would hamper some easy direct entry by Disney security.
Except these safety checks are all theatre and accomplish nothing. They look in the room and leave. You could be hiding machine guns in your suitcase, in dresser, closet, what ever. Just looking in a room does nothing. Except anger guests trying to have a vacation. No napping, showering, or private time for you in the afternoon! Simply putting a chain on the door does nothing. They’ll stand there and knock till you get up and let them in. And so much for sleeping babies and young ones.
Sorry, these are just intrusive and do nothing for security.

Thanks everyone for your comments so far. I guess I should have gone to law school. The 4th amendment point was apparently not accurate based on the research I had done. No wonder Disney blew me off. But the other points I made I believe are good ones. But whether or not I was right or wrong on the 4th I still believe that Disney should not be intruding on our space. It just feels so darned violating. It feels the same when my home was robbed 20 years ago. Someone broke down my back door and stole our stuff. In the Disney case they are stealing my private time or walking into my space with impunity while on vacation. It feels awful and I really don’t think it is the right thing to do to their guests. So, cutting through the legal crap it simply comes down to that. I feel violated and there apparently is nothing I can do about it.

Sorry for the book I wrote before. Sometimes people have to hit ya over the head so you end up with a teaching point. I don’t regret, however, sharing this. Hopefully, you have a better understanding why I did it. Maybe others will feel empowered to share their feelings with Disney.

Cheers folks.

Thanks everyone for your comments so far. I guess I should have gone to law school. The 4th amendment point was apparently not accurate based on the research I had done. No wonder Disney blew me off. But the other points I made I believe are good ones. But whether or not I was right or wrong on the 4th I still believe that Disney should not be intruding on our space. It just feels so darned violating. It feels the same when my home was robbed 20 years ago. Someone broke down my back door and stole our stuff. In the Disney case they are stealing my private time or walking into my space with impunity while on vacation. It feels awful and I really don’t think it is the right thing to do to their guests. So, cutting through the legal crap it simply comes down to that. I feel violated and there apparently is nothing I can do about it.

Sorry for the book I wrote before. Sometimes people have to hit ya over the head so you end up with a teaching point. I don’t regret, however, sharing this. Hopefully, you have a better understanding why I did it. Maybe others will feel empowered to share their feelings with Disney.

Cheers folks.
Props to you for admitting you were wrong on the the 4th amendment. Not people would do that. I do respect your opinion. My opinion differs from yours though. This is not like your home. Your staying at someone else’s house. The key to the whole thing is this. You don’t have to go. No one is forcing you. The paperwork you sign to stay there or be a DVC member agrees to these terms and conditions. Vacation is not a right. It’s a luxury that myself and others here are blessed to get to do. Unfortunately there are many people in this world that do not have the finances to get to experience what we do. So with that said we all have an opinion, but I feel like mine is right, lol

You’re right DisneyArkie, I am staying at someone’s else home. But the last time I stayed stayed there I felt safe. Now when they say Welcome Home, I won’t feel that way. My friend prior to this didn’t force themselves into what I considered my space. I could come and go and feel my belongings were safe. Now, who knows who is going to be inside my space. A magnitude higher number of people have access to my belongings than before. I don’t know these people. How do you trust so many people with access to your stuff?

I tell you if you have ever been robbed you won’t ever trust strangers with your belongings the same way ever again. It’s one thing to have a relationship with a HouseKeeper who you feel comfortable with and therefore give a tip at the end of your stay. But it’s quite a different feeling you will know several additional people you have never seen before will be forced upon you and you are powerless to protect yourself or your belongings from an intrusion that may not be safe to yourself or your stuff.

In today’s world we need that feeling of safety. Ask a woman staying alone at Disney how safe she now feels. Ask how safe do you feel allowing your kids to now stay, even for a short time, alone while you go to get something to eat for the family.

It is this basic feeling of trust which this new policy has broken. I’m glad you still feel gleefully able to accept this new policy. The rest of us who still use locks on our doors don’t hand out keys to a significant number of people. Examine that and you might begin to understand my viewpoint.

You’re right DisneyArkie, I am staying at someone’s else home. But the last time I stayed stayed there I felt safe. Now when they say Welcome Home, I won’t feel that way. My friend prior to this didn’t force themselves into what I considered my space. I could come and go and feel my belongings were safe. Now, who knows who is going to be inside my space. A magnitude higher number of people have access to my belongings than before. I don’t know these people. How do you trust so many people with access to your stuff?

I tell you if you have ever been robbed you won’t ever trust strangers with your belongings the same way ever again. It’s one thing to have a relationship with a HouseKeeper who you feel comfortable with and therefore give a tip at the end of your stay. But it’s quite a different feeling you will know several additional people you have never seen before will be forced upon you and you are powerless to protect yourself or your belongings from an intrusion that may not be safe to yourself or your stuff.

In today’s world we need that feeling of safety. Ask a woman staying alone at Disney how safe she now feels. Ask how safe do you feel allowing your kids to now stay, even for a short time, alone while you go to get something to eat for the family.

It is this basic feeling of trust which this new policy has broken. I’m glad you still feel gleefully able to accept this new policy. The rest of us who still use locks on our doors don’t hand out keys to a significant number of people. Examine that and you might begin to understand my viewpoint.

For me, it is as simple as throwing the latch. I wouldn't leave kids alone in the room unless they were old enough to know how to do that, and to understand to not open the door. I wouldn't have left them alone before the room checks anyway.

I think you are also missing that your housekeeper is your room check. There is not an endless parade of people coming in, they are the check. It is only if you refuse housekeeping that someone else comes.

Cheers folks.

You DO have options. If you do not feel safe, if you will not enjoy your Disney vacation you can and should sell your DVC points. The resale market is very strong at this point.
Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter