And the Winner...

meeko_33785

<font color=teal>Surrounded by characters<br><font
I can't believe Shreck beat Monsters Inc. for the first best animated picture. Walt Disney would be turning in his grave "if he wasn't frozen solid".

:mad: :( :mad: :( :mad: :( :mad: :( :mad: :( :mad: :( :mad: :( :mad: :(

This category was long overdue, but its a shame that this had to be the first year it was given out. Disney would have been dominating this category for decades had the academy acknowledged animation before now. I cant help but wish that there was a better representative for a first time winner than Shrek. There are so many Disney films that have deserved this honor, and its sad that the company who paved the way in animation couldnt have won the first award.

Fiver

Shrek deserved the Oscar. It's story was fresh and original for the animated genre. Monster's Inc. was nice, but pretty generic. The animation for both was about the same quality.

Keep in mind also, Monster's Inc. was created by Pixar. Disney only distributed it.

Face it, Disney no longer rules in the genre Walt created. The playing field has definitely been leveled.

The real shame is the Animated Film category itself. There was simply no need for it.

Randy Neuman FINALLY got an Oscar!!! I think it was around 16 nominations, and he's gone home empty handed every time. Congrats to Randy Neuman! :bounce:

I cant help but wish that there was a better representative for a first time winner than Shrek.
Like what...maybe your call for movie of the summer...Atlantis? Shrek has the higher box-office total, set records for DVD sales and took home the Oscar for animated films. Shrek is undisputably the better animated film of 2001.

Johare-
We all know that you love Shrek. You have been taking this sort of personally for a while on this board, so with that in mind, congratulations, I guess.

To me, this points out why I don't like the oscars in the first place. I think that the reason that shrek won was "buzz" - that hollywood term for something being on the radar screen. I think that people saw Shrek as "fresh" because it was "irreverent," meaning that it had the nerve to make fun of fairy tales. To me this is nothing new - having read things like "the stinky cheese man" years ago. But to many people, this approach, coupled with making fun of Disney with things like the castle parking lot and the "its a small world" reference. Actually, I thought the story itself was pretty lame - I didn't see a lot of freshness in the "beuty is inside" theme, and didn't you see the princess is an ogre thing coming from a long, long way?

Anyway, I think that there was never an animated category before because it would have went to Disney with no one else in contention. That is why they have never had it. I think there was a sort of anti-disney sentiment to it, that someone besides Disney had to win it to make it a "legitimate" category, and not just the "award that we give to Disney every year." Although there has been a category of animated short for years, this was the first year to include an animated feature category because it was the first time that there was a contender to Disney viewed as "legitimate."

Whatever - this isn't the first time that it has been clear to me that my opinion of what is a better film isn't the basis of an academy awards decision - or of dvd sales for that matter.

Anyway, I know that you love Shrek, Johare. I figure that Shrek is a flash in the pan that will be about as relevant as the smurfs in a couple of years, but hopefully Shrek 2 will prove me wrong about that.

DR

I thought it was pretty funny when Nathan Lane handed the Oscar over with Mickey Mouse Gloves on!!!

Anyway, I know that you love Shrek, Johare. I figure that Shrek is a flash in the pan that will be about as relevant as the smurfs in a couple of years, but hopefully Shrek 2 will prove me wrong about that.
Actually I like Monsters Inc almost as much as Shrek (kids like watching both about equally), but feel that Shrek really was the better movie. I also wanted Shrek to win because hopefully that will help Disney wake up and return to doing what they do (or should be doing) best. Besides, with all the Disney supporters around here, someone has to take Shrek's side! :D

When was the last blockbuster that Disney created? I'm really struggling.

• Pixar - We all know of the successes...but I don't count them as Disney since they're basically lottery tickets Ei$ner is cashing in on.
  • Dreamworks / PKI - Shrek did boffo business and Spirit reminds me a LOT of Lion King. Seemed to get a great reception at the Theaters when it was shown before ET.
  • Fox - Ice Age is following in Shrek's footprints. Great movie which looks like it could make a killing as well as recieve some consideration for the awards...

Which leads us to Disney. Last year was a total flop, this year is a success in so far as Return to Neverland is making a profit, but it only hit around 50 mill....Ice Age did close to that in it's first weekend....Lilo & Stich looks like it's going to be a good movie, but I wonder if it's going to get crushed with all of the summer movies. Spirit will probably linger much like Shrek did, Ice age will be on it's last legs theatrically (If at all), Stuart Little 2 will be out, and all of the adult blockbusters will limit the number of theaters this movie can be shown on.

As cute as it looks, and the ads are definitly funny I'm not sure how it will do at the box office.

Hmm...my first post in months(just had a baby boy!), and once again Johare your response seems more like a personal attack. Yes I liked Atlantis but I certainly would not put it up with other Disney Greats like Lion King, etc.. It was a fun movie but not something deserving of an oscar. That said, just because I liked that movie does not mean your opinion is any better than mine. I'm impressed that you even remembered my comments from last summer which is about when I last posted. I just dont see your logic of attacking someone's personal opinions in order to get yours accross. Usually that logic only makes the other person even more likely to not see your side of the argument. We all know that you like...I mean LOVE Shrek. Now seeing that we are on a Disney Board, then surely you must know that some people on here LOVE Monsters, Inc., and that their opinion is going to be different from yours. Why must you be such an ogre? :D

Fiver

Shrek did a much better job of utilizing flatulence and outhouses, and I guess that's what the Academy feels is needed in an animated feature.

If only Jim Carrey had made Ace Ventura as an animated feature instead of live-action. The "talking rear" routine would be considered classic, because after all, kids loved it...

Hmm...my first post in months(just had a baby boy!), and once again Johare your response seems more like a personal attack. Yes I liked Atlantis but I certainly would not put it up with other Disney Greats like Lion King, etc.. It was a fun movie but not something deserving of an oscar. That said, just because I liked that movie does not mean your opinion is any better than mine
Sorry...I just don't care for it when people still say that Shrek didn't deserve the award. The movie was widely praised by critics, had a huge box office take, had record DVD sales AND won the Oscar. I'd say that Shrek does a great job representing animated films. As for Atlantis, I didn't enjoy it and neither did the general public or most of the critics, I guess that's why I still find your "movie of the summer...rush out and see it, then see it again" comment to be funny. <p> btw: Congratulations on the baby boy. We just had a baby boy back on Dec 8th...our 3rd.
We all know that you like...I mean LOVE Shrek. Now seeing that we are on a Disney Board, then surely you must know that some people on here LOVE Monsters, Inc., and that their opinion is going to be different from yours
Actually I like both movies, however I do feel that Shrek was the better of the two films, plus with all the 'Disney cheerleaders' around here I figured Shrek needs someone in his corner. Also, just in case your keeping track, unless Disney comes up with something better than Return to Neverland (which I hope they do), my pick for next years Oscar is Ice Age!
Why must you be such an ogre?
I'll take that as a compliment...at least you didn't call me a donkey!:)

I've been very,very disappointed in Disneys recent slew of movies. While I liked Atlantis, It was not the Disney quality I had expected. I'm also very upset with this slew of sequels to many of my favorite movies. I cringed when I first heard of Return to Neverland and Cinderella 2. I havent seen either of them, but have heard that they are awful. Cinderella was a childhood favorite of mine, and I fear that the sequel will be nothing but a major disappointment. I am looking forward to Lilo and Stitch. I have seen some previews and it looks pretty funny, and I'm hopeful that it will do well this summer. The company needs to get back on track, and I hope that Lilo and Stitch is the start of their return.

Fiver

Have you seen Ice Age yet? It was pretty funny and didn't really have any of that 'potty humor' which you don't seem to care for. Scratty the Saber Tooth Squirrel is hilareous. I'll have to see Lilo & Stitch when it comes out. I don't really have any expectations for that one, but hope it's good.

Hubby and I really want to see it, but the little one is keeping us busy. He is only 6wks old, and I'm recovering from a c-section. We were thinking of asking my folks to watch him sometime in the next couple of weeks so we can see a movie or two. We also want to see ET again so we can relive our childhood. Animal Planet was showing previews of Ice Age about a week ago, and it looks to be right up our alley. I'm also curious about the upcoming movie Spirit. I hadnt seen anything about it until today, but then I've been out of circulation for awhile. I'm just now getting back to the DIS.

Fiver

I was completely bummed that Monster's Inc. didn't win the Oscar ~ our entire family LOVED that movie. And no, we've never seen Shrek, I haven't seen the need to Pay to see that movie, now if someone wants to let me borrow it free, then maybe. I think the fact that MI was associated with Disney hurt it since people are going through an anti Disney thing. How could a movie that had Boo Sulley and Mike not win an Oscar ~ sigh. At least Randy Newman went home with one :-)))

As for not liking the fact that there is an animated category. Get a grip. If everything from Foreign shorts to the light people are going to get Oscars then the talented folks who give us movies like Monsters, Inc. should be awarded as well. Personally I think they should can all the award shows.

Potty humor, bawdy R rated jokes, dumb story, no morale to the story whatsoever. It was on par with Porky's...not Lion King. Eddie Murphy set civil rights back 20 years with his "Uncle Tom" donkey character. Yeah...a real masterpiece...my kids loved it. (NOT) I too was upset that the first year the Oscars had an award for animated film was the first year that Spielberg and company had their first animated hit. Hmmm....could it be a coincidence?? Hollywood is controlled by about 20 influential people. Anyone who thinks that this stuff is left to chance is being naive. I'm not one to be led around by my nose ring. Shrek was a B movie.

Roy

I must agree with johare on this one. :eek:

I LOVED Monsters Inc. and wouldn't have minded seeing it win at all. But I really thought that Shrek was a bit better. (And I saw no R-rated jokes in it :confused: ) This has nothing to do with any anti-Disney sentiment (even if I don't consider Monsters Inc. a true Disney film) but is just my opinion for this year and is worth little or nothing. Also, Lion King would have won along with Little Mermaid, B&B, Aladdin, etc... but unfortunately such a category didn't exist when Disney did their good stuff.

Besides, Disney will win next year. :D

I'm not trying to be anti-Shrek I swear, but I really did think that Monsters Inc was just a better film. Being that it was marketed to a younger audience - I thought Shrek was baudy and trashy where humor was concerned and the story was predictable. The potshots at Disney were offensive to some loyalists, but probably missed by most viewers.

Monsters Inc was a new and original story, and it was heart touching - if for nothing other than the final scene - Kitty!!

As far as animation is concerned I truly believe that Monsters was FAR superior - Shrek used some nice landscapes and colors, but Monsters was phenomenal!

Shrek was a commercial hit - there is no doubt, but did it change the animation world in anyway that deserved an award - not imho. Pixar is far superior and with or without Disney behind them they will continue to be I'm sure.

I enjoyed both Shrek and Monsters Inc, but if hard pressed I'd give the nod to MI. Eddie Murphy grated on my nerves like he did in Mulan. He was the low point of that otherwise great movie (Mulan).

How the heck did Jimmy Neutron get nominated??? Has anyone here seen Waking Life? I think it's a crying shame it wasn't at least nominated. I know it's not for everyone's taste, but if you have the opportunity to catch WL don't miss out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter