Animals And Creatures Seen In Wdw

I just can't imagine someone having the thought of "Oh, there's a snake. I think I'll stop and take a picture of it." I'd be too busy running away. Last time we were at OKW, I noticed a group of people standing around in a circle and someone was saying "What kind of snake do you think that is?" That was enough to get me moving the other way.

Haha! There was no way I couldn't stop to gawk as it slithered across the path.

I think I would pass out if I saw a snake or a gator. And the person who saw a skunk wow, that could be dangerous in a very stinky way. I have only seen the birds, lizards, frogs, and bunnies. Maybe I got the blinders up, which is not such a bad thing. :scared: But I will say BUMP, I like this thread! :rolleyes1

Love the otter pic! Will be looking out for him (or her).

Frog at SSR:
DSC01693.jpg

Bunny
IMG_3389.jpg

Egrets settling down for the night at AK
IMG_3403.jpg

:rotfl2: I don't have a picture but I have a great story to share. When we were at the Haunted Mansion (2006) waiting to go in my daughter, son-in-law and two grandsons were looking around and saw a cat hunting in the woods right beside us. He was real still waiting for the right moment to strike. When a lady behind us said "look at that cat they made him look so real". Something must of spooked him because he ran off. Her whole party was laughing and so were we.

Do those giant roach things count? I know I know, they're not called roaches in the south, but people I'm from NYC. A roach is a roach called by any other name! EWWWW!
I see them all the time on the monorail platforms, but the worst was when one was on the headboard of my ASsports room and a dead one was in the lamp in the shower at WL once.....it was pretty nasty.

There are something like 30-35 different species of roach in FL (including wild hissing roaches like on Fear Factor). The ones everyone talks about though are the Palmetto bugs.

Let's see if I did this right! Huge turtle on the way to Downtown Disney from Saratoga Springs. Just sunning himself on the bank. Would've gotten closer, but he started to hiss!
Minnie07032.jpg

Another bunny, also at SS
Minnie07018.jpg

Love this thread!

We met this guy at Typhoon Lagoon in Nov 2004
WDW184.jpg

This is Jim, DD named him after spending some time with him in Epcot (again in Nov 2004)
WDW43Jimthelizard.jpg

Still not sure how he saw this, but my Dnephew spotted this spider and it became a mission to get a picture of it. It was near the dock waiting for the ferry at TTC in Oct 2007, he had to lean way over the rail and hold the camera as far out as he could to get this pic. Thank goodness for digital cameras, he must of taken 20 pics before he got one that you could see.
DSC00421.jpg

Still not sure how he saw this, but my Dnephew spotted this spider and it became a mission to get a picture of it. It was near the dock waiting for the ferry at TTC in Oct 2007, he had to lean way over the rail and hold the camera as far out as he could to get this pic. Thank goodness for digital cameras, he must of taken 20 pics before he got one that you could see.
DSC00421.jpg

:scared1: OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the scariest creature I have ever seen.

What is this???

That's the Komodo Dragon in the Maharaja Jungle Trek in Asia.

I'm not sure what they are really called, but we used to have these near our pool in Ft. Lauderdale, and I always called them spiny crab spiders, 'cause they look like a spiny crab!

I always thought they looked like those spikey things from the origional Super Mario Bros. game. I used to catch them all the time, they don't bite (at least they never bit me lol).

disney223.jpg

Picture175.jpg

Picture156.jpg

disney278.jpg

disney279.jpg

the two photos of the ducks butts made me laugh so hard, i had given DF the camera and later that night was going through the photos and saw those. I thought those were to cute.

disney472.jpg

this crane was in Japan in the world show case and alot of people were worried about the wire around its neck but the girls working there asured us it was ok...

Picture110.jpg

Picture111.jpg

this is a duck who was still on the water during Illuminations, I was wondering how many of these little guys get hurt during the show. We saw two fly directly through the flames.

I'm not sure what they are really called, but we used to have these near our pool in Ft. Lauderdale, and I always called them spiny crab spiders, 'cause they look like a spiny crab!

I always thought they looked like those spikey things from the origional Super Mario Bros. game. I used to catch them all the time, they don't bite (at least they never bit me lol).

You're close. They're Spiny Orb Weavers. Believe it or not, they're related to that other spider photo from way back - the one everyone calls 'banana spiders' (they're actual name is Golden Orb Weaver).

Orb Weavers generally don't bite - though the goldens can if threatened. The spinys rarely have ever bitten anyone - you can easily handle them.

They are both known for very elaborate webs, as strong as soccer nets!

I'm very familiar with both of them, as there are dozens around my yard and neighborhood - they are both quite common here in Florida.

We have seen turkey by the golf courses, ardvarkes and deer. Love it. Of course at POR you can always see bunny rabbits and lizards.

You're close. They're Spiny Orb Weavers. Believe it or not, they're related to that other spider photo from way back - the one everyone calls 'banana spiders' (they're actual name is Golden Orb Weaver).

Orb Weavers generally don't bite - though the goldens can if threatened. The spinys rarely have ever bitten anyone - you can easily handle them.

They are both known for very elaborate webs, as strong as soccer nets!

I'm very familiar with both of them, as there are dozens around my yard and neighborhood - they are both quite common here in Florida.
Thanks for the help. I love looking at these guys but they do give me the willies. It's good to know that the spiny ones won't make me pay for an unintentional chance encounter.

Lots of snails out at POP during our last trip, courtesy of Tropical Storm Fay! Also saw a HUGE beetle, maybe 3" long, like you see in the tropical rainforest books. Two years ago there was a lizard (not the anoles or geckos you see everywhere) perched on the top of the doorframe to our studio at OKW; he was some kind of chameleon, as he was the same light minty-green as the stucco! He didn't bother me, but I DIDN"T like walking under him all the time. We've also seen a gator and armadillos and all the usual birds. Fortunately no spiders or snakes!!! My DD, who was about 10 at the time, bent over to check out a lizard on the steps to BWI one evening (coming from the Boardwalk to go inside). Unfortunately it was a HUGE roach, and she just about passed out! She had her nose about 5" from it before she realized what it was! She had to lay down on the couch inside the lobby for about 20 mins before her color came back and we could make it out to the car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter