• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Annual Passes and the "Worth It" Point

I am debating this very point, so glad I found this thread. I'm planning 2 trips in Feb 2020 and Dec 2020 of 6 days each. I'm short about $85 of the breakeven point, so I would have to make up the difference through any dining or merchandise discounts, and not sure I would make it. I'd have to check which restaurants are are included/excluded. If only I had a third trip planned, it would make it a no-brainer lol.
Well, if you had the AP, that third trip might just have a way of planning itself...

I am debating this very point, so glad I found this thread. I'm planning 2 trips in Feb 2020 and Dec 2020 of 6 days each. I'm short about $85 of the breakeven point, so I would have to make up the difference through any dining or merchandise discounts, and not sure I would make it. I'd have to check which restaurants are are included/excluded. If only I had a third trip planned, it would make it a no-brainer lol.
A couple of questions. What kind AP were you considering, would it be as a guest or DVC member and did you take into account that by December 2020 there could be another theme park ticket price increase?

I feel that I break even with two 5 day trips a year. We usually do more than that though. With the merch/room discounts and photopass included, we see the value. Oh and when visiting Epcot 4 days each trip, my wife and I each get an AP magnet plus gift.....small bonus there.

Well, if you had the AP, that third trip might just have a way of planning itself...
This was very much my first thought... :sunny: But we actually have other trips planned, so I am forced to be more financial disciplined that usual, and I'm not sure a third trip would be in the cards for the next year.

A couple of questions. What kind AP were you considering, would it be as a guest or DVC member and did you take into account that by December 2020 there could be another theme park ticket price increase?
I was looking at the Disney Platinum Pass ($1192). I did not factor in the possibility of a park ticket increase. I will have to figure out how much I realistically expect to save from dining, and whether the memory maker is worth it. I'm really 50/50 on this, and leaning towards not getting it. The savings just have to be more obvious to me.

We have Gold APs through DVC. When they announced the latest price increase I checked to see if it is going to be worth it for us next year. The renewal cost is $594 each, there are two of us. As a minimum we do two 5 day trips. The cost to renew is $1188. The cost for four 5 day theme park tickets with PH is about $2100. This does not take into account future theme park ticket increases. As long as we continue to make our two trips we will be buying APs.

Yes, the breakeven point is completely different if you have access to DVC or Florida Resident pricing for AP's. For the many of us who can't access those prices, the breakeven has changed significantly.

My break even point was pretty low. I’m a DVC member who went for the gold AP. It is about 10-12 days for me, or the cost of my 8 day ticket and memory maker.

To put it in perspective... A 7-day Hopper is $560 in November. An AP is $1120. 2x. So if you'd take two approximately week-long vacations on an AP, you'll about break even on ticket cost. If you're not one to buy park tickets for each day or you'd cut out hoppers or go during cheaper school times, figure that in.

Estimate your food and add your discount. Say $60/day on food so figure you're saving $10/day; add in some merch and call it $100/week saved via discount. This $100/week twice a year takes the AP down to $920. This is cheaper than buying non-hopper tickets for two week-trips. My personal rule of thumb still holds. If you want two week-vacations or three smaller trips in one AP cycle, it's generally going to be a better value than going a-la-carte.

All pending your personal modifications to the math and whatever other deals you might be considering... but the value is generally there and no way do I see the math requiring 20 days.

Of course, if you typically buy tickets with a discount, or buy base tickets, then your break-even is even trickier.

We bought our first AP when we upgraded our 3 day tickets over Labor Day. We had never had park hopper options band fore but found we really enjoyed having the flexibility. We have a 4 day trip in January and will do a week in summer before it expires—so it made sense. Since we have the AP we also are going for 2 days on our way to the beach for Fall Break—we would not have done that without the AP so we fell into the “well we might as well use it” trap :) We don’t usually buy Memory Maker so I don’t count it. We usually stay offsite so the parking savings is a lot.

Back in 2017(?), we got back from our annual Christmas trip and had the normal Disney hangover. We knew my cousin wanted to go in October and that we'd like to go back for Christmas, but also knew it'd run us A LOT of money to do both.

I'm far from a math whiz, but I sat down and crunched the numbers in a spreadsheet. It just so happened that Disney was running that 20% off promotion at most restaurants and for merch in honor of the 40th year anniversary, so that really factored into our decision.

If memory serves me right, between the 5-day trip for Halloween, then the 9-day trip for Christmas, we'd be saving close to $1k.

Then we noticed that 2018 Easter would fall earlier in the month than 2017... hmm... We'd be able to go for Easter 2017, Halloween 2017, Christmas 2017, then again for Easter 2018 before our passes expired.

We purchased the passes before the price increase in 2017 and really put them to use.

I remember running the numbers again in 2018 and it just didn't make sense. In 2019 we took our last trip for a while, deciding to take a break from Disney.

In summary - yeah it's gotten too expensive now. 2017 was the ripe year to take advantage and grab one...and I'm glad we did. We enjoyed 2017 and 2018 together before my dad unfortunately passed in 2019.

Back in 2017(?), we got back from our annual Christmas trip and had the normal Disney hangover. We knew my cousin wanted to go in October and that we'd like to go back for Christmas, but also knew it'd run us A LOT of money to do both.

I'm far from a math whiz, but I sat down and crunched the numbers in a spreadsheet. It just so happened that Disney was running that 20% off promotion at most restaurants and for merch in honor of the 40th year anniversary, so that really factored into our decision.

If memory serves me right, between the 5-day trip for Halloween, then the 9-day trip for Christmas, we'd be saving close to $1k.

Then we noticed that 2018 Easter would fall earlier in the month than 2017... hmm... We'd be able to go for Easter 2017, Halloween 2017, Christmas 2017, then again for Easter 2018 before our passes expired.

We purchased the passes before the price increase in 2017 and really put them to use.

I remember running the numbers again in 2018 and it just didn't make sense. In 2019 we took our last trip for a while, deciding to take a break from Disney.

In summary - yeah it's gotten too expensive now. 2017 was the ripe year to take advantage and grab one...and I'm glad we did. We enjoyed 2017 and 2018 together before my dad unfortunately passed in 2019.

This was exactly it for us. And it was just dumb luck. We purchased in 2017 before the price increase, expecting to go Dec 2017 and Nov 2018. We ended up adding Easter 2018 and August 2018 too. My husband counted 28 days in Disney on those passes! It also helped that the throwaway night still worked back then (with the rolling 60) so we stayed offsite and also got free parking. It was so so so fun and I'd repeat it in a heartbeat but several of the factors that made it work no longer exist. Some of them personal to us (older kids, job change.)

We have DVC, and due to blockouts can't do the Gold pass next year, but getting the Platinum AP is still a no-brainer with 2 trips coming up within a year. For example, a 3-day ticket w/hopper is $460.73/per adult, whereas the AP is $899, so for us the break-even point (on just park tickets) is two 3-park-day visits.

When we had AP's, we enjoyed having Memory Maker. But from all I hear with the photographers being taken away and automated machines taking pictures (a lot of the time, not great shots or even no shot at all - having other peoples photos) I can say that wouldn't be a selling point to get the AP. Just depends on how many times you are planning on going and how long you are planning to stay, if it would be truly worth it or not. We don't stay on property (there are five of us so options are limited due to finances) so no hotel discounts. Each situation is different so analysis will vary. But I REALLY like it when you buy an annual pass and know you are getting your moneys worth. Makes me happy to be there and hence, I spend more money on food and JUNK - more often. LOL!!!

So, here is my story:

I have been frustrated this past year as park attendance seems to be up, at times way up. Very long lines for rides, and at times limited fastpass options for last minute scheduled trips. However, I was pleasantly surprised on our last week-long trip earlier this summer. With good plans, and well thought out fastpasses, we made out very well. Crowds were nowhere what we had encountered in our weekend trips in November and January, nor our overnight midweek trip in December.

Fortunately, we live about an 8 hour drive from Disney. In our 2018-2019 AP year, we made two week long trips, 5 weekend trips, and actually participated on a three day school band trip with my youngest. We definitely got lots of value out of the 4 APs that I had for the family. Of course, everything we do keeps compounding the savings. Our two week long summer trips were spent at BLT as that is our home DVC. The 8 hour drive means that we drive the previous night after work, and stay in Jacksonville, so we can arrive in Orlando at park opening. Being a Diamond Member with Hilton due to some business travel means that I have been able to get quite a few free nights or discounted nights at various off-property Hilton chain hotels. Having our car means we can bring what we want, having AP means we do not have to pay to park at the parks.

At my job, I will sometimes earn some reward points as a thank you for certain projects. One of the “rewards” you can choose is a gift card for RainForest Café. And Publix by our home often offers a $10 off a $50 gas card. My goal on those weekend trips is to never use a credit card, sticking with the gas cards, perhaps a few restaurant gift cards, hotel on points, and a little cash.

Mostly due to my oldest child’s upcoming wedding, and my youngest two being freshman and seniors in High School, along with the expected rush or people due to the opening of Galaxy’s Edge, my plan was to forego the AP this year. My APs expired back in July.

However, the recent increases in food, snacks, and now even the APs have me even more convinced that I made the right move. My last Platinum Plus Passes cost me $580 each with a special deal from DVC (we were able to buy a voucher back in 2016 or 2017 that was used as the AP starting in July of 2018. That same pass costs about $1,300 now, although with my DVC discount it would be about $1,100. Still almost double what I paid last time.

In the past, there have been times that I have filled out a spreadsheet with all of my projected and actual costs. I would keep track of things including the various benefits. That would include the free parking for DVC properties, the free parking at the parks for AP holders, discounts on food and merchandise. I have previously purchased Tables in Wonderland. A great bargain at the time (It used to cost $75 and you would get a 20%), now at $150, it is somewhat more difficult to justify, especially when AP holders get a 10% discount to begin with. Back in the day, we could save the cost of the card at a single meal. Today with older children, the character meals are just no on our agenda like they used to be. We try to eat a bit more either off-site, or back at the room when staying at DVC. The more money saved, they more we can go back again.

As with all other budgetary items, I had to re-evaluate our current spending. I could not justify effectively doubling what we last paid for our AP. I think I will take the year off, and maybe take the kids to Universal next summer, or perhaps do a Cedar Fair Parks tour again. Either way, I will continually re-evaluate, and be ready to act should Disney come out with some super deal like they have done in the past.

So, here is my story:

I have been frustrated this past year as park attendance seems to be up, at times way up. Very long lines for rides, and at times limited fastpass options for last minute scheduled trips. However, I was pleasantly surprised on our last week-long trip earlier this summer. With good plans, and well thought out fastpasses, we made out very well. Crowds were nowhere what we had encountered in our weekend trips in November and January, nor our overnight midweek trip in December.

Fortunately, we live about an 8 hour drive from Disney. In our 2018-2019 AP year, we made two week long trips, 5 weekend trips, and actually participated on a three day school band trip with my youngest. We definitely got lots of value out of the 4 APs that I had for the family. Of course, everything we do keeps compounding the savings. Our two week long summer trips were spent at BLT as that is our home DVC. The 8 hour drive means that we drive the previous night after work, and stay in Jacksonville, so we can arrive in Orlando at park opening. Being a Diamond Member with Hilton due to some business travel means that I have been able to get quite a few free nights or discounted nights at various off-property Hilton chain hotels. Having our car means we can bring what we want, having AP means we do not have to pay to park at the parks.

At my job, I will sometimes earn some reward points as a thank you for certain projects. One of the “rewards” you can choose is a gift card for RainForest Café. And Publix by our home often offers a $10 off a $50 gas card. My goal on those weekend trips is to never use a credit card, sticking with the gas cards, perhaps a few restaurant gift cards, hotel on points, and a little cash.

Mostly due to my oldest child’s upcoming wedding, and my youngest two being freshman and seniors in High School, along with the expected rush or people due to the opening of Galaxy’s Edge, my plan was to forego the AP this year. My APs expired back in July.

However, the recent increases in food, snacks, and now even the APs have me even more convinced that I made the right move. My last Platinum Plus Passes cost me $580 each with a special deal from DVC (we were able to buy a voucher back in 2016 or 2017 that was used as the AP starting in July of 2018. That same pass costs about $1,300 now, although with my DVC discount it would be about $1,100. Still almost double what I paid last time.

In the past, there have been times that I have filled out a spreadsheet with all of my projected and actual costs. I would keep track of things including the various benefits. That would include the free parking for DVC properties, the free parking at the parks for AP holders, discounts on food and merchandise. I have previously purchased Tables in Wonderland. A great bargain at the time (It used to cost $75 and you would get a 20%), now at $150, it is somewhat more difficult to justify, especially when AP holders get a 10% discount to begin with. Back in the day, we could save the cost of the card at a single meal. Today with older children, the character meals are just no on our agenda like they used to be. We try to eat a bit more either off-site, or back at the room when staying at DVC. The more money saved, they more we can go back again.

As with all other budgetary items, I had to re-evaluate our current spending. I could not justify effectively doubling what we last paid for our AP. I think I will take the year off, and maybe take the kids to Universal next summer, or perhaps do a Cedar Fair Parks tour again. Either way, I will continually re-evaluate, and be ready to act should Disney come out with some super deal like they have done in the past.
Have your kids been to Universal? If not, and they like thrill rides, they will enjoy it. Just stay at one of the hotel that offer express passes.

A 5 day hopper and 10 day hopper for our two planned trips came to about $1150 give or take, I don’t remember exactly. Marginally cheaper to get the AP for us, even if you ignore the extras.

Annoying that it’s no longer a straight forward comparison with the date based tickets.

Tickets only:

1) Any combination of days that gets you to 9 full price days (days 1-4 of a ticket) is at the very worst the same as buying an AP

2) 2 very long park hoppers if 1 is in peak season is at the very worst the same as buying an AP

3) 2 very long park hoppers in near-peak season is about the same as buying an AP

2 very long park hoppers most of the year are slightly cheaper than an AP (assuming you buy them 3rd party)

Any discounts you take advantage of improves the math

Remember that you only get the parking savings if you stay off site, you only get the hotel saving if you stay on site (and can find an included room), and that you can get a (smaller) merch discount with the no annual fee Disney Visa.

No more AP's for us. We planned again to purchase them for 2020 until the latest price increase. That was our tipping point. Also less visits, only one planned with ressies, after that probably no more.
We can afford them, but we won't! Too many other places that are worth it to us for far less $$'s.

We have done the Gold AP with DVC for the last several years, other than the year they had a bargain with the platimun plus for the price of a Godl pass.

We can afford them, but we won't! Too many other places that are worth it to us for far less $$'s.

I think this summarizes my feelings, too. It's not really the price itself; we can afford the price. It's about the value for what we pay. Disney can't up the cost while cutting services, and still compete for my vacation money.

I posted on another thread, but I'd planned APs for myself and DD. She's 4, and this is the last year I can take her without regard to the school calendar. I'd planned a trip in Sept with low(ish) crowds and airfare, and then a few more trips here and there as my work schedule permitted. I figured we could even pop down with nothing more than backpacks on Frontier or Spirit, stay at an All Star, and have fun. Then the AP prices were raised by $200, which means an extra $400 for both of us. If that weren't enough, food and hotel prices went up, while live entertainment has been cut, Epcot is a torn up mess, the Character Spot closed and sort-of reopened without FP, and DHS put all but one ride into tier 1. The value just isn't there. We're going for a week in November so she can meet the princesses while they are still "real" to her, but after that I don't know when we'll be back. Maybe Disney doesn't care about my repeat business, but I'm definitely saving money because Disney raised prices.

Meanwhile, we spent a week in San Francisco with a side trip to Yosemite this summer. Kids had a blast. We blew through DH's loyalty points to stay for free at our hotels (not an option at Disney, no matter how often you go), enjoyed lots of new experiences, and used my 4th grader's national parks pass to go to Alcatraz for free. We basically paid airfare, rental car costs, and food. Renting a beach house in NC for a week was as expensive as a Disney trip, but we got miles of pristine beaches with very few people, an island with golf carts instead of cars, the chance to see sea turtle nest excavations, and the time to slow down and enjoy nature and family. Not sure what 2020 will bring; right now we're thinking Costa Rica.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter