Annual Reading Challenge 2019

10 of 20: Star Wars: Thrawn: Treason by Timothy Zahn

Grand Admiral Thrawn faces the ultimate test of his loyalty to the Empire in this epic Star Wars novel from bestselling author Timothy Zahn.

“If I were to serve the Empire, you would command my allegiance.”

Such was the promise Grand Admiral Thrawn made to Emperor Palpatine at their first meeting. Since then, Thrawn has been one of the Empire’s most effective instruments, pursuing its enemies to the very edges of the known galaxy. But as keen a weapon as Thrawn has become, the Emperor dreams of something far more destructive.

Now, as Thrawn’s TIE defender program is halted in favor of Director Krennic’s secret Death Star project, he realizes that the balance of power in the Empire is measured by more than just military acumen or tactical efficiency. Even the greatest intellect can hardly compete with the power to annihilate entire planets.

Gotta admit, I was kinda bored with this one. I like the characters and the mystery was for the most part interesting, but it felt long. 3.5 stars.

More catching up...

61. The Running Dream by Wendelin Van Draanen
Teenage track athlete Jessica loses her leg in a tragic accident. How she overcomes obstacles and inspires others. Very uplifting.

62. Girl Underwater by Claire Kells
College swimmer Avery survives a plane crash along with one of her teammates and three little boys. This tells the story of how they survived and how Avery dealt with the aftermath. Good story.

63. The Last Child by John Hart
Johnny Merrimon's twin sister vanishes without a trace but he believes she is still alive. No one else believes this so Johnny goes out on his own to find her.

64. Never Come Back by David Bell
Elizabeth's mother dies suddenly and her mentally disabled brother is suspected of murdering her.

65. Run You Down by Julia Dahl
Second in the Rebekah Roberts series. Rebekah investigates a murder in the ultra orthodox judaic community and learns not only about this murder but about her mother who abandoned her as a child.

66. A Life Intercepted by Charles Martin
Matthew is on the verge of a great new life as a top drafted NFL football player. Then he is accused of a heinous crime of which he is innocent and is sent to prison. After he gets out he returns to his hometown where is is not welcome as no one believes he didnt do it.

67. The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo
My son in law recently sat next to the author on a flight and learned about her books and was impressed by her. This is a book written in the voice of a teenage girl growing up in a rough Brooklyn neighborhood. The style is as if the girl is performing "slam poetry" for the entire book. Very different and moving.

68. Mean Streak by Sandra Brown
A woman disappears during a run in the mountains. Police suspect the husband of "instant divorce" when actually the woman wakes up in the cabin of a mysterious man. Good suspense.

69. Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult
A new man in town with a mysterious past which comes out and threatens to ruin his new life.

31. The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult
Full disclosure, I had deliberately avoided her work after reading My Sister’s Keeper. I was furious with that ending. But The Storyteller was highly recommended and I did really like it. Parts of it are painful to read with graphic accounts of the Holocaust, but it is powerful, thought provoking, and will stay with me.

Last edited:

#53 The Testaments by Margaret Atwood
In this brilliant sequel to The Handmaid's Tale, acclaimed author Margaret Atwood answers the questions that have tantalized readers for decades.

When the van door slammed on Offred's future at the end of The Handmaid's Tale, readers had no way of telling what lay ahead for her--freedom, prison or death.

With The Testaments, the wait is over.

Margaret Atwood's sequel picks up the story more than fifteen years after Offred stepped into the unknown, with the explosive testaments of three female narrators from Gilead.

"Dear Readers: Everything you've ever asked me about Gilead and its inner workings is the inspiration for this book. Well, almost everything! The other inspiration is the world we've been living in." --Margaret Atwood

Started not to read but decided to give it a go. Pretty good.
I am glad I have been watching the tv series tho or I would have been lost as it has been some years since I read the Handmaid's Tale.
I would recommend this one.

45/50 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

I always think this is my favorite book in the series until I get to the next one - and then the one after that. Though they do get a little more heartbreaking as they go along too...

#104/130 - The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan

A sweet story about adapting and rolling with life's curveballs, this is the story of a laid-off librarian that finds an unlikely way to realize her dream of owning a bookstore. In the process, she also finds a new home in a small Scottish town, new friends and a whole community of people that give her an attachment to place that she lacked in her previous life. It was a light, fun read - very funny at times, touching, and for readers/book lovers, full of poetry and literary romance.

#105 - The Bookshop on the Shore by Jenny Colgan

Not quite a sequel, but set in the same world as The Bookshop on the Corner, this was just a little slower and less smile-inspiring. The story of a single mother to a non-speaking 4yo who moves from London to the Scottish Highlands to take two jobs - one helping the bookstore owner, who is expecting her first child, and the other as nanny to three troubled and motherless children - and finds a new life and home in an unexpected place. Like the first in the series, this was very sweet and uplifting, but it had some more serious elements that made it less lighthearted overall, and the books played a much smaller role in the story. but it was still a cheery, quick read full of deeply human characters just doing the best they can.

#106 - An Other Kingdom by Peter Block, Walter Breuggemann and John McKnight

I picked this up while waiting for a deeper and more scholarly book from one of the authors to arrive via inter-library loan, and it wasn't quite what I expected. It is a slim volume about the tension between functional communities and consumer culture, presented as a call to action from a largely faith-based perspective rather than an evidence-based one. Parts of it were inspiring and the message itself was solid, but as an action plan it was very nebulous and lofty with a lot of condemnation of the way things and exultation of the way things could be but little to say on how to get from here to there.

#54 The Penny by Joyce Meyer & Deborah Bedford
Jenny Blake has a theory about life: big decisions often don't amount to much, but little decisions sometimes transform everything. Her theory proves true the summer she's 14, when she makes the decision to pick up a penny embedded in asphalt and consequently ends up stopping a robbery, getting a job, and meeting someone who changes her life forever-Miss Shaw. Together they form a friendship that dares both of them to confront secrets in their pasts-secrets that threaten to destroy them.

Faith based book based on the bittersweet story of emotional, physical & sexual abuse of two sisters living in a racially divided St. Louis in the 60's.
I liked (perhaps not the best word considering the subject matter) this one & would recommend.
One of the best I have read so far this year.

66/75. The Huntress by Kate Quinn

I enjoyed reading this book which tells of the hunt for a WWII Nazi Criminal. It was recommended here, and I put off reading it, but I am glad I did. I thought the characters were well developed, interesting.

The Island Legacy by Ruth Saberton. Romantic fiction. Nessa is working as a waitress in a dive hotel on a Caribbean island. Her mother died when she was very young and her father has recently died. She knows nothing of her mother's family and very little about her father's as he was estranged from them since her mother died. Unexpectedly she inherits an island off the Cornish coast of England from her father's brother. This uncle was a famous composer who had become a recluse and had not published any music since the death of her mother. The island contains a castle that is falling down and in need of extensive repairs. It is occupied by her two cousins who are the children of her father's other brother who is also deceased. The island is also home to two other people the uncle had taken in. However, the inheritance does not come with any money to keep the castle functioning or to make any repairs. It all works out in the end and everyone ends up with the significant other they should. The book had some interesting twists and made good light reading.

90 of 104

Last edited:
42/50 - The High Tide Club by Mary Kay Andrews. Genre - Romance
Eccentric heiress Josephine Warrick is a notorious recluse - reigning over a crumbling pink mansion on a private island, she is rarely seen but often whispered about. So when Brooke Trappnell, a struggling young lawyer, is summoned to the island, she has no idea what's in store. As she listens to Josephine recount a story of old friendship, dark secrets, and a mysterious murder, it becomes clear that Brooke is there for two reasons: to help protect Josephine's beloved island, and to make amends with her old friends, the skinny-dipping, secret-keeping girls of the The High Tide Club.

To fulfill a dying woman's last wish, Brooke must track down the descendants of Josephine's closest friends and bring them together for a reunion of women who've never actually met. But in doing so, Brooke uncovers a scandal that could make someone rich beyond their wildest dreams... or cause them to be in the crosshairs of a murderer.

I enjoyed reading this book. I took it with me on a trip last week and even through I didn't go to the beach it makes a good beach read.

67/75 Hot Shot by Fern Michaels

A story of the men of the Sisterhood. Vigilantes who strive for justice. This takes place in Las Vegas and is entertaining.

11 of 20: Star Wars: Spark of the Resistance by Justina Ireland & Phil Noto

When a distress plea goes up from the isolated planet Minfar, Resistance heroes Rey, Poe, and Rose hear the call! Together they will face down a First Order battalion, terrifying flying creatures, and a weapon that could change the course of the war!

This was fine. A junior grade novel, I found the prose to be a little lackluster. Maybe because the book wasn't geared for my demographic. Still, I found the story interesting, and liked spending time with Rey, Rose, and Poe. Missed having Finn and Chewie around, though

3 stars.

43/50 - What The Valley Knows by Heather Christie. Genre - Teen/YA
Millington Valley is a quintessential small Pennsylvania town: families go back generations. Football rules. Kids drink while adults look the other way. High school is a whirlwind of aspiration and rivalry, friendship and jealousy.
When smart and pretty Molly Hanover moves to town and attracts the attention of the football team’s hero, Wade Thornton—a nice guy with a bad drinking habit—longtime friendships are threatened and a popular cheerleader tries to turn the school against Molly.
The young couple’s future is shattered when Wade, drunk, wrecks his truck and Molly is thrown through the windshield. She wakes from a coma to find her beauty marred and her memory full of holes. As she struggles to heal, she becomes sure that something terrible happened before the accident. And there is somebody in the valley who doesn’t want her to remember.

#44/50
The Invited by Jennifer McMahon
In a quest for a simpler life, Helen and Nate abandon the comforts of suburbia and their teaching jobs to take up residence on forty-four acres of rural land where they will begin the ultimate, aspirational do-it-yourself project: building the house of their dreams. When they discover that this charming property has a dark and violent past, Helen, a former history teacher, becomes consumed by the legend of Hattie Breckenridge, a woman who lived and died there a century ago. As Helen starts carefully sourcing decorative building materials for her home--wooden beams, mantles, historic bricks--she starts to unearth, and literally conjure, the tragic lives of Hattie's descendants, three generations of "Breckenridge women," each of whom died amidst suspicion, and who seem to still be seeking something precious and elusive in the present day.
68/75. I enjoyed this book. A good one to read around Halloween!

Those Girls by Chevy Stevens
Life has never been easy for the three Campbell sisters. Jess, Courtney, and Dani live on a remote ranch in Western Canada where they work hard and try to stay out of the way of their father’s fists. One night, a fight gets out of hand and the sisters are forced to go on the run, only to get caught in an even worse nightmare when their truck breaks down in a small town. Events spiral out of control and a chance encounter with the wrong people leaves them in a horrific and desperate situation. They are left with no choice but to change their names and create new lives.

Eighteen years later, they are still trying to forget what happened that summer when one of the sisters goes missing and they are pulled back into their past.

This time there’s nowhere left to run.

This was just ok, not as good as author's other work.

32. The Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman. First of the Practical Magic Trilogy. I really enjoyed it. It’s about a family of witches , but it’s a lot more. I’ll definitely read the others.

46/50 - “After” Anna Todd

Recently turned into a movie and I’d heard a lot about it so I decided to give it a go when my library offered me a pass to skip the - I’m not joking - almost 1 year waiting list. I actually quite enjoyed the book despite the deeply messed up relationship. It started its life as a Harry Styles fanfic apparently and I read A LOT of fanfic back in the day so it was fun to revisit that. I’ll probably continue with the series in about 25 weeks when I get through the waitlist for book 2...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter