• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Annual Reading Challenge 2019

13 The Late Show by Michael Connelly
One of my favorite authors of Crime genre.
Good story compelling enough, could have went deeper with the background of main character. Story itself was okay and breezed through book but lacked a little from other books of his that I read.

14) The Pupil by Me (Joseph Cognard)
Just finished writing, though in order to write I am assuming you are reading. First book I have ever written with someone so I read at least about quarter for sure. Cant describe as not copyrighted yet but really like the way it came out.

If anyone is interested in reading any of my works. I would gladly send a kindle gift version of any of them: “Written for You”, “Three Twigs for the Campfire”, “Cemetery Girl” or “Reigning”.
You can see them all reviewed at Goodreads (Click on link to view books). If you are interested in reading any of them message me here or at Goodreads.

Last edited:
68/50 - Ink Reunited - Carrie Ann Ryan

Part of a series about a family run tattoo parlor. A fun quick little read.

86/75. A Cup of Holiday Fear by Ellie Alexander

I wanted to read a holiday mystery. This was a good one, but I had not read any previous book by this author and it made a difference in my understanding.

12 of 20: Resistance Reborn by Rebecca Roanhorse

In this pivotal prequel to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, the heroes of the Resistance—Poe Dameron, General Leia Organa, Rey, and Finn—must fight back from the edge of oblivion.

The Resistance is in ruins. In the wake of their harrowing escape from Crait, what was once an army has been reduced to a handful of wounded heroes. Finn, Poe, Rey, Rose, Chewbacca, Leia Organa—their names are famous among the oppressed worlds they fight to liberate. But names can only get you so far, and Leia’s last desperate call for aid has gone unanswered.

From the jungles of Ryloth to the shipyards of Corellia, the shadow of the First Order looms large, and those with the bravery to face the darkness are scattered and isolated. If hope is to survive, the Resistance must journey throughout the galaxy, seeking out more leaders—including those who, in days gone by, helped a nascent rebellion topple an empire. Battles will be fought, alliances will be forged, and the Resistance will be reborn.

We get to see the Resistance start to rebuild after the end of The Last Jedi. The book focused on three groups that are on three different missions. Very Poe-centric. We get to see characters from other media, including Norra Wexley from the Aftermath series and Zay and Shriv from the Battlefront 2 video game. Very exciting, action packed.

4 out of 5 stars. I loved Rebecca's Trial of Lightning and I'm excited to read the other books in that series.

13 of 20: A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

I read this every year for a reason. 5 out of 5 stars.

Didn't come close to 20 books again this year. Going to lower my goal for 2020.

57/50 No Second Chance by Harlan Coben
“Shot twice by an unseen assailant, Dr. Marc Seidman lies in a hospital bed. His wife has been killed. His six-month-old daughter has vanished. But just when his world seems forever shattered, the ransom note arrives: We are watching. If you contact the authorities, you will never see your daughter again. There will be no second chance. With no one to trust, and mired in a deepening quicksand of deception and deadly secrets, Marc clings to one unwavering vow: bring home his daughter, at any cost.”

A fast and enjoyable read.

58/50 Like a Love Story by Abdi Nazemian
“It’s 1989 in New York City, and for three teens, the world is changing.
Reza is an Iranian boy who has just moved to the city with his mother to live with his stepfather and stepbrother. He’s terrified that someone will guess the truth he can barely acknowledge about himself. Reza knows he’s gay, but all he knows of gay life are the media’s images of men dying of AIDS.
Judy is an aspiring fashion designer who worships her uncle Stephen, a gay man with AIDS who devotes his time to activism as a member of ACT UP. Judy has never imagined finding romance...until she falls for Reza and they start dating.
Art is Judy’s best friend, their school’s only out and proud teen. He’ll never be who his conservative parents want him to be, so he rebels by documenting the AIDS crisis through his photographs.
As Reza and Art grow closer, Reza struggles to find a way out of his deception that won’t break Judy’s heart—and destroy the most meaningful friendship he’s ever known.”

I enjoyed this book and truly cared about the characters.

59/50 Normal People: A Novel by Sally Rooney
“Connell and Marianne grew up in the same small town, but the similarities end there. At school, Connell is popular and well liked, while Marianne is a loner. But when the two strike up a conversation—awkward but electrifying—something life changing begins.

A year later, they’re both studying at Trinity College in Dublin. Marianne has found her feet in a new social world while Connell hangs at the sidelines, shy and uncertain. Throughout their years at university, Marianne and Connell circle one another, straying toward other people and possibilities but always magnetically, irresistibly drawn back together. And as she veers into self-destruction and he begins to search for meaning elsewhere, each must confront how far they are willing to go to save the other.

Normal People is the story of mutual fascination, friendship and love. It takes us from that first conversation to the years beyond, in the company of two people who try to stay apart but find that they can’t.”

I liked how the story was told from both Marianne & Connell’s perspective, but I never really connected to the story. I found myself liking Connell more and Marianne less as the story went on.

60/50 Recursion by Blake Crouch
“Reality is broken.
At first, it looks like a disease. An epidemic that spreads through no known means, driving its victims mad with memories of a life they never lived. But the force that’s sweeping the world is no pathogen. It’s just the first shock wave, unleashed by a stunning discovery—and what’s in jeopardy is not our minds but the very fabric of time itself.
In New York City, Detective Barry Sutton is closing in on the truth—and in a remote laboratory, neuroscientist Helena Smith is unaware that she alone holds the key to this mystery . . . and the tools for fighting back.
Together, Barry and Helena will have to confront their enemy—before they, and the world, are trapped in a loop of ever-growing chaos.”

Overall, I liked this book. I enjoyed Barry & Helena’s relationship, but some parts of the book felt unnecessary and drug the story out.

61/50 The Book Woman Of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michele Richardson
“The hardscrabble folks of Troublesome Creek have to scrap for everything―everything except books, that is. Thanks to Roosevelt's Kentucky Pack Horse Library Project, Troublesome's got its very own traveling librarian, Cussy Mary Carter. Cussy's not only a book woman, however, she's also the last of her kind, her skin a shade of blue unlike most anyone else. Not everyone is keen on Cussy's family or the Library Project, and a Blue is often blamed for any whiff of trouble.
If Cussy wants to bring the joy of books to the hill folks, she's going to have to confront prejudice as old as the Appalachias and suspicion as deep as the holler.”

Historical fiction isn’t my favorite genre, but I really enjoyed this book. It wasn’t until I read the author’s note at the end, that I realized there really were people with blue tinged skin.

I enjoyed participating in this book challenge and reading the book summaries others shared. I hope 2020 brings everyone the time they desire to read the books that interest them!

#70 The Store by James Patterson & Richard DiLallo

Imagine a future of unparalleled convenience. A powerful retailer, The Store, can deliver anything to your door, anticipating the needs and desires you didn't even know you had.
Most people are fine with that, but not Jacob and Megan Brandeis. New York writers whose livelihood is on the brink of extinction, Jacob and Megan are going undercover to dig up The Store's secrets in a book that could change the entire American way of life. But after a series of unsettling discoveries, Jacob and Megan's worst fears about The Store seem like just the beginning.
Harbouring a secret that could get him killed, Jacob has to find a way to escape The Store's watchful eye and publish his expose – before the truth dies with him.

Another just ok book. Last of the year for me. Made it to 70 which is 20 over my goal of 50.

The Tenth Island by Diana Marcum. I do not remember why I downloaded this book but I did make it all the way through it. I didn't understand the concept and the story line was thin but the actually writing was good so I made it all the way to the end.

Remembering Christmas by Dan Walsh, Romantic christian fiction with the happy ending and a Christmas theme.

Auld Acquaintance by Ruth Hay. A light read - Canadian woman inherits a farm in Scotland from a relative she never heard of. She takes a trip to check it out and discovers a whole new life.

105, 106 and 107 of 104. A satisfactory conclusion to the year's challenge.

Last edited:
13 The Late Show by Michael Connelly
One of my favorite authors of Crime genre.
Good story compelling enough, could have went deeper with the background of main character. Story itself was okay and breezed through book but lacked a little from other books of his that I read.

There are two more books in which she and Bosch work together (alternating chapters).

14) The Pupil by Me (Joseph Cognard)
Just finished writing, though in order to write I am assuming you are reading. First book I have ever written with someone so I read at least about quarter for sure. Cant describe as not copyrighted yet but really like the way it came out.

Way to go!

If anyone is interested in reading any of my works. I would gladly send a kindle gift version of any of them: “Written for You”, “Three Twigs for the Campfire”, “Cemetery Girl” or “Reigning”.
You can see them all reviewed at Goodreads (Click on link to view books). If you are interested in reading any of them message me here or at Goodreads.
#70 The Store by James Patterson & Richard DiLallo

Imagine a future of unparalleled convenience. A powerful retailer, The Store, can deliver anything to your door, anticipating the needs and desires you didn't even know you had.
Most people are fine with that, but not Jacob and Megan Brandeis. New York writers whose livelihood is on the brink of extinction, Jacob and Megan are going undercover to dig up The Store's secrets in a book that could change the entire American way of life. But after a series of unsettling discoveries, Jacob and Megan's worst fears about The Store seem like just the beginning.
Harbouring a secret that could get him killed, Jacob has to find a way to escape The Store's watchful eye and publish his expose – before the truth dies with him.

Another just ok book. Last of the year for me. Made it to 70 which is 20 over my goal of 50.
Nice work!

Just squeaked by to make my goal!

#80/90: The Dressmaker’s Gift by Fiona Valpy (4/5) (historical fiction)
A young woman working in Paris learns the story of her grandmother’s life during WWII, which helps her understand her mother.

#81/90: Little Voices by Vanessa Lillie (4.5/5) (suspense)
A woman is determined to solve the murder of a friend while dealing with personal difficulties.

#82/90: The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides (5/5) (suspense)
A therapist gains a job at an institution and tries to help a mute woman who had murdered her husband.

#83/90: The Night Fire (Bosch and Ballard #3) by Michael Connelly (4.5/5) (detective)
Bosch again enlists the help of Ballard in solving a case.

#84/90: Mrs. Everything by Jennifer Weiner (4.5/5) (contemporary fiction)
Life struggles for two sisters growing up during the 60s and 70s. Does contain some difficult topics.

#85/90: A Minute to Midnight (Altee Pine #2) by David Baldacci (3/5) (thriller)
Altee and Carol head to the town where Mercy was abducted to see if they can find clues and stumble upon several strange murders.

#86/90: Mermaids of Bodega Bay (Terrence Reid #1) by Mary Birk (2/5) (romantic mystery)
#87/90: The First Cut (Terrence Reid #2) by Mary Birk (2/5) (romantic mystery)
So I read these based upon the enthusiastic recommendation of a friend for the second novel. There was a lot more romance of the soap opera type than I like.

#88/90: The Sins of the Mother by Scott Pratt and Mark Stout (3/5) (suspense)
Detectives from two towns are working together to solve increasingly violent murders of prostitutes.

#89/90: Lost Hills (Eve Ronin #1) by Lee Goldberg (4/5) (L.A. detective)
Eve has been fast tracked to the homicide department, and is resented by most of her coworkers. She is working a gruesome case and feels the need to quickly find the killer.

#90/90: Last Christmas in Paris by Hazel Graynor and Heather Mariah Webb (4.5/5) (romantic historical fiction)
Story of WWI told through letters.

41/30-A Cowboy Under My Christmas Tree by Janet Dailey

Last edited:
Last post for the year:

#131 of 130 - The Overdue Life of Amy Byler by Kelly Harms

Another chick lit title about a bookish woman finding herself. It was a nice vacation read, even if some of the characters were too perfectly fit to certain molds to feel authentic and it employed a number of romantic-novel conventions to move the plot along. Still, the themes of motherhood vs. self and the sacrifices women make for the sake of family were relatable, and the major characters' careers in books and publishing added interesting subplots to the main story.

Well, I forgot about this challenge and forgot to update it. I was in another challenge for a local library to read 8 books, but I was only able to finish 3 of them.
Oh well, maybe better luck in 2020.

Haven't seen a new thread yet.

If Cogswel_cogs doesn't want to continue (thank you for the last couple years!), I would be willing to start a new thread tomorrow, Monday 01-06-20.
I am off on Mondays so could probably update on Mondays.
Just let me know!

If Cogswel_cogs doesn't want to continue (thank you for the last couple years!), I would be willing to start a new thread tomorrow, Monday 01-06-20.
Just let me know!
That’s quite an offer!:)

Cogswel_cogs either way, you have been terrific!:thumbsup2

Just let me know!

Sounds good to me

Just started a new thread for 2020. I have no clue how to link it to this post, lol.

Annual Reading Challenge--2020

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter