Another Car rental glitch-Now Fixed!!

Wayne, you star!:thanks:
Now one more question! When you say there is a charge for not getting the car back on time, does that include if you get it back early? Our flight is 3ish, so do I put down 2pm for return, as we will def be back by then, or nearer to the actual time we should be there? Hope that makes sense!

Jules x
Only times that matter are on your agreement on collection. If you collect at say 4pm when you arrive then the car has to be back by 4pm on the day you depart. Although its on Expedia/Hertz T&C's they allow 29 min grace so you would have no charge upto 4:29pm on your last day.
The times you enter online are not part your agreement with Hertz, only reason you give times is for them to give you an accurate quote online, if the drop off time was beyond collection time they would charge appropriately in advance to save you being hammered with late fees when you return the car.

Saw this fantastic post (thanks) and checked the deal was still available....it was!

Sadly, it won't let me pick up and drop off at a different location (arrive Miami/depart Orlando). I called Expedia and they informed me that I can't do that when booking any car hire via Expedia....:confused3

Never mind. Pretty fed up but good luck to those who can pick up and drop off at the same location.
See posts #40&41, I am sure its possible but not online, even by phone I think they have to confirm with Hertz before accepting the booking, maybe you got someone that didn't understand or didn't know what to do. Might be worth ringing and trying a different agent:confused3

At the moment I can only book for 4 days as we are going March 2011 but it's only 30 pounds for a mid size!!! We are staying at the Board walk will Hertz provide a pick up service

Just read thru T&C's I have here, there is a section titled delivery & collection. It says delivery & collection on request only, to be arranged locally.
No idea how you would do that, I always collect at airport.

Thank You, Thank You Thank You.

Have just booked a SUV for 17 days for £265 - couldn't quite believe it.

Only thing I should have done was read the whole of the thread before booking. We really wanted a premium SUV and was going to book at a cost of £800 or so. Just read that if I had put in full size it bought up loads more vehicle choices. We could have got the premium for £365, well worth the £100 more.

I'm debating ringing Expedia and seeing if they will change it, DH says I should just be happy with the deal we got

Thank You, Thank You Thank You.

Have just booked a SUV for 17 days for £265 - couldn't quite believe it.

Only thing I should have done was read the whole of the thread before booking. We really wanted a premium SUV and was going to book at a cost of £800 or so. Just read that if I had put in full size it bought up loads more vehicle choices. We could have got the premium for £365, well worth the £100 more.

I'm debating ringing Expedia and seeing if they will change it, DH says I should just be happy with the deal we got

I did exactly same, booked full size for 25 nights cost me £197.50 after Quidco, then Mart posted about changing to full size, for another £100 could have got something like 8 seater Ford Expedition, I have decided to stick with my original bargain, there are only 3 of us, it would be a waste and they probably drink gas.:goodvibes

Try looking on travelrepublic.co.uk and thomson, i just booked hilton at clearwater for oct for £95 per night which was quite a bit cheaper than a lot of other sites! Not quite as good as this car hire deal though unfortunately!

We tried travelrepublic and they were the cheapest we found, not tried thomson so will have a look at that - thanks :thumbsup2

I did exactly same, booked full size for 25 nights cost me £197.50 after Quidco, then Mart posted about changing to full size, for another £100 could have got something like 8 seater Ford Expedition, I have decided to stick with my original bargain, there are only 3 of us, it would be a waste and they probably drink gas.:goodvibes

Drink gas dont say that Wayne this holiday is already costing me a fortune :rotfl2:

Well despite DH protests I have just cancelled the Standard SUV and booked the Premium SUV which we would have booked anyway I've paid the £25 cnx fee but for us I think it's worth it for us considering we don't travel light and we will be driving from Miami to Orlando and back again.

I was tempted to book the Cadilac Escalade at £665 (is £2565 on Hertz's website) which is still less than we thought we had to pay for the Prem SUV but didn't want to upset DH anymore :rotfl:

Well despite DH protests I have just cancelled the Standard SUV and booked the Premium SUV which we would have booked anyway I've paid the £25 cnx fee but for us I think it's worth it for us considering we don't travel light and we will be driving from Miami to Orlando and back again.

I was tempted to book the Cadilac Escalade at £665 (is £2565 on Hertz's website) which is still less than we thought we had to pay for the Prem SUV but didn't want to upset DH anymore :rotfl:

thats what we did, a large suv instead of a std suv:) its such a good deal, with the 3 hour journey we needed the kids to be calm and not stresed when we arrived in wdw;)

Thanks for the tip. Just booked a full size SUV for my August trip and cancelled my other reservation.
The only nasty in there seems to be the excess insurance (also called super cover?) that covers you for the first £500+ of any loss and any damage to tyres, windscreens and locks if broken into - which doesn't appear to be included.

Hertz will sting you at the counter or there seem to be some sites over here that you can cover yourself for between £50 - £65 for a year's worth - carhireexcess.com and insure4less.com look promising.

Thanks again for the great deal!
:drive::drive::drive:

Thanks for the tip. Just booked a full size SUV for my August trip and cancelled my other reservation.
The only nasty in there seems to be the excess insurance (also called super cover?) that covers you for the first £500+ of any loss and any damage to tyres, windscreens and locks if broken into - which doesn't appear to be included.

Hertz will sting you at the counter or there seem to be some sites over here that you can cover yourself for between £50 - £65 for a year's worth - carhireexcess.com and insure4less.com look promising.

Thanks again for the great deal!
:drive::drive::drive:

LDW is included in the rental rate you have paid. No £500 excess with Expedia rentals.
See Hertz explanation of LDW, you have nothing to pay for any loss or damage.
In some countries, Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) an optional service, which for an additional daily charge relieves you of all financial responsibility for the loss or damage to the rental car, whether or not you have insurance to cover such damage, provided the car is used in accordance with the terms of the Rental Agreement. The cost of LDW may vary depending on location or car type and is charged per each full or partial day of rental.

As for "any loss and any damage to tyres, windscreens and locks if broken into - which doesn't appear to be included." No rental company includes this and in 25 trips to Florida I never have and never will, I think its a waste of money, your choice if you want this type of cover. If I had bought it every time I have rented a car in Florida I would have spent over $1800 by now (by paying locally)

Just booked an SUV for £265...and theres just Me,DH and DS !! :laughing:

Thank you.:thumbsup2

Hi,
Last year when we booked through Alamo we had platinum insurance. I can't seem to find it here. Am I missing something? (probably!!)

'Air conditioning, automatic transmission, unlimited mileage, Collision & Damage Waiver, Theft Protection, Third-Party Liability Insurance, City/Airport Surcharges, Road Tax, VAT/Tax, Additional Liability Insurance for the U.S. and Canada.'

Thanks,

Jules x

Hi,
Last year when we booked through Alamo we had platinum insurance. I can't seem to find it here. Am I missing something? (probably!!)

'Air conditioning, automatic transmission, unlimited mileage, Collision & Damage Waiver, Theft Protection, Third-Party Liability Insurance, City/Airport Surcharges, Road Tax, VAT/Tax, Additional Liability Insurance for the U.S. and Canada.'

Thanks,

Jules x

Don't think Hertz do anything like Platinum cover, the Expedia cover is same but without tank of gas or additional drivers included.

Wayne, you are a legend! We've just booked for £265 October 1st-17th from Tampa airport :banana:

That's for a Ford Explorer or similar. I'm going to be driving the car from Jurassic Park!! Lol

I LOVE the disboards!! :thumbsup2

Just a quick update on those that want to collect from one airport and return to another. It was suggested on Dibb that if you call Expedia they will ok this with Hertz and you can do it over the phone - this does not seem to be the case. I have been speaking to a few people at Expedia and they have contacted Hertz who will not allow Expedia to do this at the special rates.

I have checked prices and it is still much cheaper for me to book a full size SUV and return it to MCO and then hire a full size car for 3 hours at around £30 to get us to TPA. Thsi works out cheaper than us hiring a full size car from anyone else for the full period. I know it will be a bit of hassle on the last day but we weren't planning on doing much anyway due to flight time from TPA.

First time drivers in US. We are 2 adults and 3 kids. I'd appreciate some help.

Will they let me book an economy car or will it simply be too small.

also

Do I need to purchase extra insurance to cover LDW?

The $200 CC hold - is that per week booked or per booking?

Thanks for any help. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter