Another cut back at Disney World?

Welcome back to your home port Mr. Pirate.

Who really cares?

I suspect all those people who are being laid off care. I suspect all those people with reversations care. I suspect all those people looking to make reservations care.

And I suspect all those stockholders care. The very week management tries to blame all their woes on the theme parks, they can't even bother to tell the truth about something that confirms their excuse in the first place.

In and over itself, closing the resort isn't a major issue. It's the way that Disney is dealing with it that's so blantantly off.

Oh, I agree with everything you say Voice...And yes someone will always care, but in the scheme of Disney doing business, the issue seems trivial. If bookings are low then they need to take measures, I would think stockholders would e happy with this. As for the lay-offs, I thought the people were to be moved?

Cetainly the performance of the COmpany surounding such a decision is something that needs to be bandied about, but this decision itself just seems non-issuey to me...
:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

manning, is that a good "oh boy" or a Peter Pirate should head back to sea "oh boy"????
:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

I thought I would join beating this dead horse....

I noticed on the resorts boards that several people being displaced by this closure have been upgraded to rooms at AKL and the Polynesian at a cost of $20 per night more. While it is true that that is a great deal on a luxury hotel. Something doesn't seem right about Disney profiting from closing a resort. Maybe the sums are trivial, but Disney is inconveniencing the guests. Since this was Disney's choice (and the guests were given very short notice), they should be given their choice of standard rooms at any of the Resorts at the same rate they booked the CBR.

Geez, what a bunch of cynics! Get some magic! LOL Well I have been to the CBR many times over the last couple years, and off and on there have been different parts of the outside of Old Port Royale boarded off for refurbishment. So I don't think this is some last minute excuse to close down the resort. Was the recent slowdown in bookings a factor in when to do the major part of the renovation? Probably. But I think it's pretty obvious by all the OPR work that has been going on, even before 9-11, that they were planning this, and would have to do the work and shut the resort down sooner or later, so why not during a slow time? And remember, unlike those other resort renovations, this resort only has one kitchen for the whole place, so it truly would force probably 1000 rooms worth of people (even at 50% bookings) to not be able to get any food at all at their resort. Because of this, I think they would have had to close the resort anyway sooner or later, and the low bookings just made the decision for them to do it right now. Believe it or not, yes Disney wants to make money for themselves, and will make smart business decisions, but they do want to make their guests happy and comfortable as well, because they know they might not come back if they don't experience the usual "pixie dust". Could you imagine the complaints they would get if guests arrived and had paid upwards of $100 per night, or even more without discounts, and couldn't even get a quick burger or salad for lunch, or breakfast before heading out to the parks at their resort? I know I would feel awfully cheated, and Disney knows that too, so I don't blame them for wanting to close it. The announcement and the confusion for people with reservations might have been handled a little better,maybe with letters to the guests before the announcement or something, but I think they did the right thing by closing the resort for the refurbishment.

freediverdude,

If this were the only problem there, I'd be right with you!!

Unfortunately, it is not!! :(

In all respects this decision is more of what Walt himself would do in the bests interests of the guests.

Originally posted by Another Voice
... All "Moderates" are getting sit down resturants to comply with the Mobil/AAA Guide standards and for a possible "readjustment" of the resort classifications...

Then why on earth was the sit-down restaurant at POFQ removed in August of 2000? Should they not be adding it back? The space where the dining area was is still vacant and is partitioned off.

In January of this year we stayed at CB for the first time. I was very disapointed with the food courst/resturant situation. The restarant was not open for breakfast, making the food court very crowded and noisey. Dinner time was also an event, the seating was so limited in the restarant that the wait time was to much.Thus at dinner the food court was full. Disney sent me a survey to fill out on the hotel, and that was my only negative. Maybe Disney actually listended to me!

Cathy-Jesse

WDW 1972
Beach Club 93
CS 97
WL 98
POFQ 99
Disneland 2001
CB with Cruise 2002
BW with Cruise November 2002!!!!!

DVC-landbaron, what other problems are you talking about? Or is it within the company and can't talk about it? I mean yes I know bookings are down, but I thought my post explained about that, so I'm not sure what you mean.

DVC-landbaron, what other problems are you talking about?
I'm sorry. I keep forgeting that many here have not been here before or long enough to become familiar with the many issues discussed here. And that is my fault.

What I should have said was:

"If this were the only problem with the current management team of Disney, I'd be right with you!!

Unfortunately, it is not!! :(

There!! Is that better?! :)

Oh, well sorry I don't really know the management team well enough to comment on them. It would be nice to meet them someday though, and find out about some behind-the-scenes decision-making processes. It would be so interesting! I'm sure there's so many factors they have to take into consideration when they make a decision that affects a whole resort or whole theme park. Oh well, I'm sure that kind of stuff is closely guarded until the decision is made, but still, it would be so interesting to be a fly on the wall in some of those meetings of Disney executives.

Contemporary resort, here I come! Checking in Saturday! It will be a dream come true- never been able to stay on the monorail before... and maybe not again since I really can't afford it, but anyway I'll have my two nights that I'll never forget...

Hmmmm. If I didn't know better I'd say that there was suddenly some sarcasm in the room.

:bounce: :crazy: :bounce:

I want everyone to note my self restraint!!

But, man oh man!! I'm just soooo tempted!! :teeth:

I would rather they close a hotel, there are plenty of others people can stay in, than close a ride or shorten hours even more.

If closing a couple of more hotels would bring back EE I would be all for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter