Another Shooting, Nashville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh dear Lord. So can I then assume that you are one of the brainwashed that don't realize it??

As for your crack about pick up trucks and confederate flags--really? FYI, they do drive pick ups. They all care for horses, cows and hogs too. They haul hay and feed in those pick up trucks. They haul what any of us need for flower and vegetable gardens. And yes they go hunting in them. So climb down out of your ivory tower and look around at what real people do for awhile.

As for your link, you do know that it is an opinion piece correct? Not YOUR opinion but that of the person on the video. Meaning it is an opinion piece that is HIS opinion.

I looked for your claim of what the Supreme Court said and the only thing I found was about ASSAULT weapons, which the gun you keep referring to is not.

We own a pick up ourselves lol. Yes it's about AR 15s assault weapons in this video out of Justice Scalias own mouth, which is what I said, NOT an opinion according to the Supreme Court, assault weapons AR 15s not protected by Constitution
.https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_152485383678112&key=debb21522a2ba14b8d7bcbd1910c5bdb&libId=jgiaa97s01002d7s000MAgm7leimh&loc=https://www.disboards.com/threads/another-shooting-nashville.3678246/page-14&v=1&out=https://www.msnbc.com/the-beat-with-ari-melber/watch/no-there-s-no-2nd-amendment-right-to-ar-15s-1171097667761&ref=https://www.disboards.com/threads/another-shooting-nashville.3678246/page-13&title=Another Shooting, Nashville | Page 14 | The DIS Disney Discussion Forums - DISboards.com&txt=https://www.msnbc.com/the-beat-with...o-2nd-amendment-right-to-ar-15s-1171097667761

Last edited:
I'd agree, at the very least. Rate of fire influenced by recoil, design and so on, size of magazine - the bigger the more lethal - accuracy over distance, design of round (is it armour piercing?), stuff like that.

I'm confused by a lot of this. What do you mean by rate of fire influenced by recoil? By design are you talking about the mechanical design which dictates how the weapon fires or the cosmetic design which may look scary but has no effect on how it fires? When you say the size of the magazine with bigger= more lethal, are you meaning a magazine that can hold more rounds? That doesn't really equate to lethality. Sure, with a magazine that tholds fewer rounds you'll have to reload more frequently, but that really doesn't take that much time, and in the Grand scheme of things will probably not mean less people shot. Theyll take a second to reload and continue on. You can be just as lethal with a smaller magazine depending on where you shoot the person (which has nothing to do with how many rounds the mag holds). With accuracy over distance... The vast majority of people are killed from a very short distance, so I'm not sure why accuracy over distance should have any impact on a gun ban.

I'm confused by a lot of this. What do you mean by rate of fire influenced by recoil? By design are you talking about the mechanical design which dictates how the weapon fires or the cosmetic design which may look scary but has no effect on how it fires? When you say the size of the magazine with bigger= more lethal, are you meaning a magazine that can hold more rounds? That doesn't really equate to lethality. Sure, with a magazine that tholds fewer rounds you'll have to reload more frequently, but that really doesn't take that much time, and in the Grand scheme of things will probably not mean less people shot. Theyll take a second to reload and continue on. You can be just as lethal with a smaller magazine depending on where you shoot the person (which has nothing to do with how many rounds the mag holds). With accuracy over distance... The vast majority of people are killed from a very short distance, so I'm not sure why accuracy over distance should have any impact on a gun ban.

Well, basically, I've always found that one can deploy more shots per minute if the recoil is low. And if one can kill from a distance, it also increases it's lethality. It's harder to knife someone that it is to hold up in a hotel room overlooking a large social gathering. And of course a greater magazine capacity means you can keep on injuring/killing over a prolonged period of time without pause.

Well, basically, I've always found that one can deploy more shots per minute if the recoil is low. And if one can kill from a distance, it also increases it's lethality. It's harder to knife someone that it is to hold up in a hotel room overlooking a large social gathering. And of course a greater magazine capacity means you can keep on injuring/killing over a prolonged period of time without pause.

According to the FBI most gun related deaths are done by handguns, rifles account for a very small percentage.

Dropping a mag and putting in another one takes less than a second, there isn't much pause.

Another right in the USA is not to censor anyone, free speech. So I agree with above poster, pass the posts you don't like by. You could start your own post stating NO talk about gun regulations just the shooting if you wanted.
I am only responding in the interest of clarity. I am not engaging in an argument with you nor am I looking for one.

Free speech does not apply to this website. There are rules set up by the admins and adhered to by the moderators and quite frankly there have been some comments I would like to report because they are terrible things to say about people and they aren't even subtle. However, I don't want the thread to get locked if it could provide ongoing information to the Waffle House incident. I'm guessing the only reason this thread is still unlocked or without a mods warning is because someone hasn't reported a comment yet.

You are correct as is the other poster that anyone can scroll through the posts. While I honestly appreciate some of the information I've learned from this thread even after I stopped responding regarding gun things I've opted to focus on information pertaining to the actual incident at hand after a while. That is me personally.

According to the FBI most gun related deaths are done by handguns, rifles account for a very small percentage.

Dropping a mag and putting in another one takes less than a second, there isn't much pause.

I guess that's just me then :) Mind you my experience is military, so YMMV.

As @Hikergirl said, it really, really takes such little time to reload. Shootings from a far distance so rarely happen. Having a weapon with a long range is however
beneficial for many kinds of hunting as well as competition and home protection from things like bears so you don't have to wait until it's a few yards away to shoot it.

In regards to guns with low recoil, it can be a safety thing too. Many people shoot weapons not anticipating the recoil and are injured or can accidentally shoot others. Low recoil is also beneficial for physically smaller people and women as it makes the weapon easier to handle.

As @Hikergirl said, it really, really takes such little time to reload. Shootings from a far distance so rarely happen. Having a weapon with a long range is however
beneficial for many kinds of hunting as well as competition and home protection from things like bears so you don't have to wait until it's a few yards away to shoot it.

In regards to guns with low recoil, it can be a safety thing too. Many people shoot weapons not anticipating the recoil and are injured or can accidentally shoot others. Low recoil is also beneficial for physically smaller people and women as it makes the weapon easier to handle.

As I said, YMMV. I found an L98 far more lethal than a Cadet No. 8 rifle simply because it was semi-automatic rather than single fire. However, an ADAPTED L98 was more lethal than a bog standard L98 because of the low recoil - less time to re-assess your target and fire again. It only takes a matter of a few seconds, but those few seconds can count.

[ETA] Just as an aside, an adapted L89 will of course be less lethal than a traditional L89, simply due to the round fired.

Last edited:
I said they give opinions mixed with real news, watch it before you comment, is citing the Constitution according to the Supreme Court, so is not an opinion. Watch the Video. He gives facts, towards latter half of this the Constitution protects your First Amendment Rights to own a gun, it is a protected law but there are limits, this is law and does not protect your right to own an AR 15 or other weapons of war. So AR 15s are not protected. Supreme Court Judge Scalia himself a republican

AR15’s are not weapons of war.

But I have answered you over and over, regular guns are protected by the Constitution according to the Supreme Court, AR 15s or other weapons of war are not are not and my beliefs are in line with that and having discussions of stronger gun laws, closing gun show loophole etc. Please watch entire video I just copied you above.

No, you have not answered me previously, nor have you here. And AGAIN, AR-15’s are NOT weapons of war.

Our combat troops have never on any occasion carried even ONE AR-15 into battle.

Zip, zero, zilch, nada.

They HAVE carried bolt action hunting rifles, revolvers, semi-auto pistols, pump shotguns, and single shot target rifles - all of these having been carried into battle AFTER the debut of the AR-15 (and the military M16).

So, I don’t feel I’m asking too much when I ask you to be specific.

I'm asking if those answer your question. Because to me, they do.

I was looking for something more specific, you said automatic/semi-auto. Does that mean a gun than can switch between the 2, or do you mean automatic weapons, and semi-auto weapons. If it is the latter I'd ask is it just the fact that it is a semi-auto, and why does that make a difference to you than say a revolver? Are you even including pistols that are semi-auto or is it just rifles?
Does caliber make a difference? How about a Ruger 10/22, it is a semi-auto, uses a detachable 10 round mag (do you consider that high capacity?).
Large capacity magazines aren't weapons, they are accessories for weapons, so to me that isn't a weapon of war since it isn't actually a weapon, but since it is to you, what do you consider large capacity?

Actually you hear Supreme Court Justice Scalia, republican by the way, himself say so. People have tried to change this but The Supreme Court has ruled that weapons of war including AR 15s not protected by constitution. He, Justice Scalia says so himself not an opinion, that the Constitution never meant there would be no limits either to owning guns.
Um.......
Anything stated by a Supreme Court Justice that is not part of a rendered decision is in fact an opinion and does not have the force of Law.
Justice Scalia rendered an opinion on the Courts decision, which has nothing whatsoever to do with my statement that was;
"The SCOTUS has never, in session, ruled on whether Citizens may, or may not, posses, own, buy, sell, trade, or transfer an AR, or any other semi automatic firearm."

I said they give opinions mixed with real news, watch it before you comment, is citing the Constitution according to the Supreme Court, so is not an opinion. Watch the Video. He gives facts, towards latter half of this the Constitution protects your First Amendment Rights to own a gun, it is a protected law but there are limits, this is law and does not protect your right to own an AR 15 or other weapons of war. So AR 15s a
Um.......
Anything stated by a Supreme Court Justice that is not part of a rendered decision is in fact an opinion and does not have the force of Law.
Justice Scalia rendered an opinion on the Courts decision, which has nothing whatsoever to do with my statement that was;
"The SCOTUS has never, in session, ruled on whether Citizens may, or may not, posses, own, buy, sell, trade, or transfer an AR, or any other semi automatic firearm."

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't what Scalia said a generalized comment? AR15s were never specifically mentioned.

Last edited:
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't what Scalia said a generalized comment? AR15s were never specifically mentioned.
Yes......
Justice Scalia was commenting on a lack of definition in The Second Amendment that leaves the Courts decision open for future clarification as to exactly what types of weapons are covered.
The Courts ruling does not implicitly state that AR types are included, or excluded, but leaves the subject open.
The Majority decision clearly allows arms "in common use" to be included as protected items and since only a person, or persons, whom are totally out of touch with the realities of life in America, would make the statement that the tens of millions of AR type, and other types that are identical in operation to AR's, are not "in common use" by the general Public.

Call me wacky, I just don't see the need for a lot of the weapons out there still available for public use or misuse. But then again, that's me coming from a largely gun free environment. I own a .177 match air rifle for accurate competition target shooting and also use LSR rifles, all .22 Anschütz or Walther (there are others but those are the staple). For home protection, if they feel the need, people use shotguns. For hunting, single shot rifles. But as for pistols (banned after Dunblane) and weapons like AR-15s... I'm just like, "wha?"

I have only seen a couple of posts, but looks like it has been a liitle too challenging to maintain courtesy. Thread is closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter