Any "Bad" Lyft Experiences?

Sparrow'sLady

Mouseketeer
We have never used Lyft/Uber. We have read things and have seen stories that are unpleasant, but I am sure those are quite infrequent. Have any of you used Lyft from MCO to your hotel and back and had a bad experience? Safety is priority!

We have done a cab before. Those have been awkward. We have found them to be aggressive and one of them was talking voodoo stuff to us. One went way out of his way to make a little extra and when we said we were paying with a credit card instead of cash, he put a 30% tip on the total and would not change it. He said we either pay cash or 30%.

Last edited:
I haven't done Uber/Lyft at MCO but have friends who have. They weren't prepared for surge pricing, and IIRC she said it was almost $100. I seems like the only way to have any control in pricing is to either book a car service or take Mears bus.

I haven't done Uber/Lyft at MCO but have friends who have. They weren't prepared for surge pricing, and IIRC she said it was almost $100. I seems like the only way to have any control in pricing is to either book a car service or take Mears bus.
Or a Mears taxi. Cab rates are more then basic ride share but less then surged ride share fares

We (my husband and I) visit several times a year and always use Uber or Lyft from MCO to our hotel at WDW. We have not had a bad experience or felt that our driver was unsafe. We pay around $40 plus tip. If the fare is higher we wait 5-10 minutes and usually the price comes down. The drivers help us get our luggage in and out of the trunk and have not seemed particularly interested in having much conversation beyond exchanging pleasantries.

With any service, if you use it enough, you are bound to have a bad experience here and there. I travel a ton for work and prefer not to drive in a city I am unfamiliar with, especially since my company will pay for Uber/Lyft. There have been the odd problem like dirty cars, aggressive driving but by in large the trips are all rather uneventful. Before Uber/Lyft were around I had about the same fail/success with a traditional taxi.

Ah, that is good to know. We will be arriving the Sunday after Thanksgiving, so I expect that pricing will really "surge".

With any service, if you use it enough, you are bound to have a bad experience here and there. I travel a ton for work and prefer not to drive in a city I am unfamiliar with, especially since my company will pay for Uber/Lyft. There have been the odd problem like dirty cars, aggressive driving but by in large the trips are all rather uneventful. Before Uber/Lyft were around I had about the same fail/success with a traditional taxi.
All very true. :)

The worst experience I had in a Uber/Lyft was when the car absolutely REEKED of weed. That was in my local area and not Orlando/central Florida. In Orlando it's usually fine and uneventful. I've payed around $50 to and from the airport and $25 between WDW and Universal.

Surge pricing has to do with the availability of cars. Time of day and weather can play into this as well but mostly very early morning or very late nights. Best to have both Uber and Lyft and check both. Be aware you can wait long after the 2 minutes arrival time with airport traffic but you can track and see exactly where the car is.

I have only used Lyft one time. It was such a bad experience I will not use it ever again.
It was December 2019 and it was the day after Rise of the Resistance opened. The only way to get a boarding group was to be inside the park at opening and try for a boarding group at exactly 7am. We didn’t have a car so we booked a Lyft. Our driver was playing an offensive music video that featured burning crosses, on an iPad taped to his dashboard. We politely asked him to please turn it off. He said… “No, I like it.” He then proceeded to turn the wrong way as we left the resort. My friend knew this because she has driven in Disney World every year for 30 years. So, she advised him to turn the correct way or we would not get to the the park in time. Again, he said no. She then told him to change direction or we would end the ride and get out of the car. He reluctantly changed direction and somehow we arrived alive and on time. Never again!

I have only used Lyft one time. It was such a bad experience I will not use it ever again.
It was December 2019 and it was the day after Rise of the Resistance opened. The only way to get a boarding group was to be inside the park at opening and try for a boarding group at exactly 7am. We didn’t have a car so we booked a Lyft. Our driver was playing an offensive music video that featured burning crosses, on an iPad taped to his dashboard. We politely asked him to please turn it off. He said… “No, I like it.” He then proceeded to turn the wrong way as we left the resort. My friend knew this because she has driven in Disney World every year for 30 years. So, she advised him to turn the correct way or we would not get to the the park in time. Again, he said no. She then told him to change direction or we would end the ride and get out of the car. He reluctantly changed direction and somehow we arrived alive and on time. Never again!
I hope you provided feedback on that after you were dropped off. Eeek!

I would have been offended by the burning crosses and I am not a fan of offensive music. I get it that it is their vehicle, but it should be a comfortable service they are offering.

I used both between MCO and Pop. I have not had any problems and seem to remember 35-50 for a ride between. Download both apps and check both when you need a ride, I found 10-15 difference between them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter