• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any husky owners here?

We have a Husky mix (Husky, GSD, Australian Cattle Dog to be exact) and our last two dogs were Husky/GSD litter mates. None of the three scarfed down their food. We put food down for them and they all grazed throughout the day.

Huskies are extremely intelligent dogs and need both exercise and enrichment. They can get bored and often appear almost depressed if they are not properly stimulated. Make sure you exercise your dogs (we give ours at least a mile walk each day if not 2 or 3) and have plenty of different types of toys for her to play with. Beyond that keep an eye on her and follow the vets lead.

And please never shave your Husky.

I'd love to see a pic of your dog, (if you know how, I don't :upsidedow). This combo is what we've been told our mutt might be. Not the pups in my profile pic.
Relating to the OP, mine is picky too and doesn't seem to have a huge appetite. His sister (yellow lab) eats everything in site. I have to pick up his food if he doesn't eat it since she will eat that also.

You should never ever shave a husky!! While they seem hot to us, their fur serves a purpose. It actually keeps them cooler in the summer, and warm in the winter. She is molting her winter undercoat ow. (I am getting her furminated this week.) She will molt her summer undercoat around September, and she will grow her winter undercoat.

I will remove. I know someone who cut it's hair and claimed it really helped her dog's personality but wouldn't want to promote anything bad for them. I don't think she actually shaved it all off tho, should have used another word, but she did have his hair cut. Thanks for the interesting info.

I'd love to see a pic of your dog, (if you know how, I don't :upsidedow). This combo is what we've been told our mutt might be. Not the pups in my profile pic.
Relating to the OP, mine is picky too and doesn't seem to have a huge appetite. His sister (yellow lab) eats everything in site. I have to pick up his food if he doesn't eat it since she will eat that also.

Here are a few.

IMG_20170624_144502_483-edit.jpg

IMG_20170124_153646_775-edit.jpg

He was a rescue that picked us. We had one of the two previous litter mates left and went to see a totally different dog that didn't get along with our guy at all. This dog had just came in and got along with our dog right away.

Last edited:

Ghost is a great name and a good looking dog! Is he just chilling on the porch? Mine will run off and get into trouble so she's always chained.

Thank you! He’s named for Jon Snow’s dire wolf in Game of Thrones.

He has a leash on in those pictures. He was easy to grab with the leash on when he was super tiny in the first photo, but he's definitely a bolter. He'll take off if we're not watching him close. In the second half of the photo, he's both leashed and exhausted after a few hours at the dog park.

Thank you! He’s named for Jon Snow’s dire wolf in Game of Thrones.

He has a leash on in those pictures. He was easy to grab with the leash on when he was super tiny in the first photo, but he's definitely a bolter. He'll take off if we're not watching him close. In the second half of the photo, he's both leashed and exhausted after a few hours at the dog park.
I had a feeling that's where the name came from. The final season can't come soon enough. I hope the rumors are true and each episode is feature-length.

Huskies are definitely bolters and it can be really scary when they get loose.

I had a feeling that's where the name came from. The final season can't come soon enough. I hope the rumors are true and each episode is feature-length.

Huskies are definitely bolters and it can be really scary when they get loose.

I heard each episode is 90 minutes.

Ghost has gotten loose a few times and it scares the crap out of me every time (even when I find out after the fact!)

90 mins is pretty good.

Abbey is an inside dog and likes her couch and AC, but she still prefers to be outside a lot. I have her on a 40' tie-out (marketed for 200 lbs and "heavy duty" :rolleyes2) in the front yard (complete with her dog house) which is great for her because she can run around and chase :squirrel:. She broke the cable last summer and I didn't know it until I went out to bring her in. I definitely went into panic mode as this was the first time she was ever loose. I jumped in my car and started looking for her but had no idea which direction she went. I had no luck and decided to go back and hop on the quad so I could explore more areas as I live in the country. I asked a neighbor if he saw her and he said no. I'm surrounded by farmland, so I thought it would be easy to spot her but I still had zero luck. I was out for over an hour and my neighbor told me he would give me a call if he saw her. I went even further out to where the main road was and was about to turn around when I spotted her. She was over a mile away from her original location on the other side of the highway trotting around near a house. I was so glad she wasn't hit by a car. I yelled her name and I was so happy that she ran to me (because my other husky would look at me and laugh and continue to keep running, but at least she came home when she was hungry) and I got her back on the leash.

There was no way to take her and the quad home at the same time so I left the ATV on the side of the road praying nobody would steal it. I walked her back to the house and took my car to get the quad, but of course I had to leave the car. So once I got the quad back I had to walk and get my car. :lmao:That was a really long day.

Nobody said being a husky owner was easy. :crutches:

I've contemplated getting a smart collar GPS. A friend recommended one of these.
https://www.linkakc.com/
They run about $100. I think it will be worth it just to give me a little peace of mind but at least prepared for when this happens again. She has been loose other times but nowhere near as far away as she got the first time.

Last edited:
My son's husky is off his food this week. Was sick throwing up on Saturday was better Sunday but wouldn't eat his food. He'll eat canned chicken and other "people food" but will pick through it if you mix with his dog food and just spit his dog food out. I told DS to go buy some other type of food and try it. I think he's just decided he doesn't like his dog food anymore.

We have a Lab who is food obsessed and a Standard Poodle who is a grazer. If given the chance, the Lab will scarf down her food then go over and eat the Poodle's food... and he'll let her. He'll usually eat a little when we first put it down. When he walks away, I will pick it up so the other dog doesn't have a chance to eat it. I work from home, so I have the opportunity to put it down a few other times during the day, and he'll nibble when I do that. So I offer it a few times and usually he finishes it eventually. He's a little bit of a diva. ;-)

A lab has two purposes in life.. retrieving and eating.

And mine refuses to retrieve! :tongue: (My poodle is an excellent retriever though.)

You know which one to take hunting. The poodle was originally used as a hunting dog. The Standard Poodle began its development as a retrieving water dog more than 400 years ago.

I've had huskies for many years (did rescue for a while) and all have been chow hounds until they get older. I have a 15 year old mix right now that refuses to eat dry dog food. She gets chicken, hamburger, mac and cheese and what ever she wants.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter