Any idea why no sale of alcohol on the ship while in Chania?

cwis

DIS Veteran
Supposedly because of port regulations. Interesting because the Crete Island is where most all-inclusive cheap hotels are, and this is still part of Greece?

There must be a reason however a Google search did not help me find out which.

Interested if anyone has a clue!

It’s either a local law regarding the sale of alcohol on board the ship while it’s in port, or it’s taxed so heavily DCL decided it’s not worth it to staff the bars while the ship is in port.

Grand Cayman changed their laws in May as an example and now when the ship is docked there, only one bar on the ship is open (the one at the adult pool).

We stopped at Chania on our Royal cruise and the alcohol was flowing that day. This was just one month ago.

We stopped at Chania on our Royal cruise and the alcohol was flowing that day. This was just one month ago.
Interesting. For reference our port of call was yesterday (June 18) and it was a Sunday.
We are on a B2B though our first cruise did not stop in Chania. The next one (departing June 20th) gets to Chania next Sunday, interesting to see reports, if any!
(not telling my wife about this post or else she'll definitely says “told you so we needed to to a B2B2B”)

Interesting. For reference our port of call was yesterday (June 18) and it was a Sunday.
We are on a B2B though our first cruise did not stop in Chania. The next one (departing June 20th) gets to Chania next Sunday, interesting to see reports, if any!
(not telling my wife about this post or else she'll definitely says “told you so we needed to to a B2B2B”)
Were they serving alcohol in town?

https://www.cruisemummy.co.uk/cruise-ships-banning-alcohol-in-ports/

This is something I have found on this issue. I would assume that it’s a similar thing for DCL with Chania: they need to get an alcohol license and pay taxes while in port. Something must have gone wrong there and that’s why they suspended it. Is Chania a new port for DCL?

It’s ultimately the same as with Grand Cayman. To be honest, I think it’s lazy to blame local regulations if the issue is that the ship doesn’t want to follow local regulations and therefore limits the customer’s experience.

It’s ultimately the same as with Grand Cayman. To be honest, I think it’s lazy to blame local regulations if the issue is that the ship doesn’t want to follow local regulations and therefore limits the customer’s experience.
We're talking about Disney right. They have no clue and it's probably easier for them to blame local authorities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter