Any Jasmine experts out there?

WebmasterPete

Grand Administrator
The only one of my plants I'm having problems with are my Confederate Jasmine. I've followed the instructions to the letter, yet I can't seem to keep the blooms alive for any reasonable length of time. The plant itself seems healthy, but it just won't bloom. I've tried everything, and nothing seems to be working. Any suggestions?

Pete

and I bet they would know what the problem is..........according to what I read.....this is one tough plant to not do well with......can you see any of those little bugs that tend to stop plants from flowering in Maine........I would not know what to do with our cherry trees if it hadn't been for the County extension of the University of Maine .......

Pete is the plant out side or in a pot inside. Unually when plants don't flower properly it because they are not getting enough light, or they are in the wrong light.

If inside I'll bet it needs more light. I would get a grow light bulb. They sell them to screw into a regular lamp. Give it at least 6 hours of light a day.

They are both potted, and outside in full sun (well, as much "full sun" as they can get under a screened in patio). The funny thing is that the green is very healthy (and growing), it's the flowers that don't seem to last. I do have a jasmine bush vining on the side of the house, and I think I'm going to put them out there (still in their pots) for a few weeks, and see if that helps. It's the only thing I haven't tried :)

Thanks,
Pete

I am not an expert.. but every spring into summer, I buy a potted jasmine for my deck.. the fragrance is beautiful.. and a gardenia as well. they do well on the deck in full sun.. but only for that short summer season we have here in New England.. I would love to be able to have those plants all year round.. I try bringing them in for the winter but they never make it..

I think confederate jasmine only blooms at this time of year, Pete. It's growing like crazy all through our neighborhood on pine trees, mailboxes, telephone poles, etc. and the neighborhood smells great now. We've been here for three springs and this is the only time of year I've seen it in bloom.

The jasmine along the rosewalk in EPCOT seems to bloom continuously through the summer. You might want to check with someone in the park to see what kind it is. I bought a plant that looks similar for my parents garden. It flowered, but there was very little scent. The ones in EPCOT are very fragrant.

Have you visited the floridata website?

http://www.floridata.com

Go to Plant References from the menu on the left-hand side. Click on search and type in confederate jasmine. It says there that the plant only flowers after the new growth emerges in spring (April-May).

You can probably search on just jasmine to see what plants will flower for you all year round. Good luck! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter