Burning Question about photo package.

MaleficentDisney

Mouseketeer
So I just talk to a DCL representative today about my upcoming sailing.

I decided to ask (again) about the photo package. I will be traveling with my family of 7 (including myself). There are two rooms. I just want to buy ONE photo package. What this representative told me completely threw me off. I was really expecting her to just reaffirm what I have already know because I'm that type of person lol. She said it so confidently that I am now unsure myself.

What I thought was true from prior reading blogs and forums (and even previous reps), given that I buy ONE photo package for my stateroom only:

• 100% certain
    • Anyone in my stateroom who takes a picture by themselves will be available to download.
    • A group photo of everyone in the stateroom is available to download.
  • The now uncertain nuances because of the conversation with the representative:
    • If I were to take a photo with a stranger I befriended on the ship, then that photo be available to view and download. The rep said no, the stranger must have a photo package. Really?
      • What I have understood is that as long as I (or anyone in my stateroom) is in the photo, that photo should be available under my account, not the strangers.
    • If I were to take a photo with my other family member in the other stateroom, then that photo should be available to view and download. The rep said no. The other stateroom has to purchase photo package as well. And it's 50% off.
  • I told the rep I found this information online and she said I shouldn't believe everything I read online.
  • She said that people would call in and ask why some of their photos are missing and she would tell them it is because the other people don't have the photo package.
  • She said that the camera used to take photos uses face recognition. So, if the camera doesn't recognize someone in the photo associated with my stateroom, that photo would not be available to me to view or download.
So, I am here... online, again, asking people here who has travel recently, and I mean recently say 2024, to please clear the confusion based on their first hand experience. Because I want to say I am sure, but I can't. I never travel on DCL before.

She told me to read this Q&A on the official website: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/photos/link-multiple-staterooms-under-one-photo-package/

When I read it, all I am getting from it is if I want to link photos between mine and another stateroom. It doesn't dictate that, if I am in a photo with someone who doesn't have the photo package, I wouldn't be able to view or download it.

So, am I reading it wrong? Am I crazy? Everyone on the blogs telling lies? Or this rep is wrong? I think she's wrong.

We recently sailed with another party where we took mixed pictures but they bought the photo package as well so unfortunately doesn't help much with your question. The only suggestion I can offer is I've heard you can cancel the package even after you're onboard, so in theory, you could buy both, then ask the staff in Shutters once you're on board and cancel if it is indeed safe to do so.

I have never bought an all-inclusive photo package, so I don't have first-hand experience about how those packages work. However, I do know from 2 cruises in the past 18 months that whenever the ship photographers took a posed picture of my family, they asked for the Key to the World Card of someone in the photo. That would then link the photo to my room account, so I would be able to see it when I opened my room account on the computer screens in the photo area. So if I were with someone not in my room and presented my card, I would guess the photo would show on my account, but not necessarily on the other person's account. I never purchased a package, but was able to buy individual photos that were in my account.

I can see why, even if facial recognition software could link photos to all of the people in them, DCL wouldn't want to link a photo to 2 different rooms unless both rooms had purchased packages. If photos are automatically linked to the accounts of multiple rooms, 1 person could buy an all-inclusive package and share the photos amongst all of the people in it, and the people in other rooms would get all of the photos without paying anything for them.

So, you may have been correctly told that a photo can be linked to 2 different room accounts only if someone in both rooms has purchased a photo package. I don't think it's correct, though, that photos can't be linked to one account unless the other room also has a package. I think if you are taking photos with someone in another room, you could each present a KTTW card for separate photos so that you'd have similar, but not identical, photos on your accounts, but the photos wouldn't be shared automatically (except, perhaps, if both rooms did purchase packages and that triggers the facial recognition matching).

It is also possible that there have been changes made to the process since my last cruise in September 2023.

We recently sailed with another party where we took mixed pictures but they bought the photo package as well so unfortunately doesn't help much with your question. The only suggestion I can offer is I've heard you can cancel the package even after you're onboard, so in theory, you could buy both, then ask the staff in Shutters once you're on board and cancel if it is indeed safe to do so.
Hi. Thank you for the response.

So, my (previous) understanding of this type of situation is that you and your other party would have access to the same photo. That's great and all.

And to be clear. I am asking my question because, since I am traveling with family. It wouldn't make sense to have both room get the photo package. If I were just to be the photo package myself, I can access them, download them, print them, and share with my family who didn't buy the photo package. I mean, to have two rooms who are family buy the same photo package for the sake of access is money grab in my opinion. This where my confusion is that. Why would the other stateroom need to buy it. They're going to get the photos too because I have them! lol

I have never bought an all-inclusive photo package, so I don't have first-hand experience about how those packages work. However, I do know from 2 cruises in the past 18 months that whenever the ship photographers took a posed picture of my family, they asked for the Key to the World Card of someone in the photo. That would then link the photo to my room account, so I would be able to see it when I opened my room account on the computer screens in the photo area. So if I were with someone not in my room and presented my card, I would guess the photo would show on my account, but not necessarily on the other person's account. I never purchased a package, but was able to buy individual photos that were in my account.

I can see why, even if facial recognition software could link photos to all of the people in them, DCL wouldn't want to link a photo to 2 different rooms unless both rooms had purchased packages. If photos are automatically linked to the accounts of multiple rooms, 1 person could buy an all-inclusive package and share the photos amongst all of the people in it, and the people in other rooms would get all of the photos without paying anything for them.

So, you may have been correctly told that a photo can be linked to 2 different room accounts only if someone in both rooms has purchased a photo package. I don't think it's correct, though, that photos can't be linked to one account unless the other room also has a package. I think if you are taking photos with someone in another room, you could each present a KTTW card for separate photos so that you'd have similar, but not identical, photos on your accounts, but the photos wouldn't be shared automatically (except, perhaps, if both rooms did purchase packages and that triggers the facial recognition matching).

It is also possible that there have been changes made to the process since my last cruise in September 2023.
Thank you for the response. Your anecdote is very insightful and reassuring.

I am interested in getting the unlimited photo package myself. I don't mind paying a hefty price -- as long as just one person buying it for the entire party given that the party is split into multiple rooms.

I want to comment on this statement specifically "So if I were with someone not in my room and presented my card, I would guess the photo would show on my account, but not necessarily on the other person's account."

- Right, this is exactly what I understood all this time until the rep today just threw me for a loop. It's fine by me that the other person won't be able to get it. I bought the package, I will have access to them. I can always send them the pictures afterwards. Like, literally that's all I want to get confirmation from. But the rep basically says no, if that person doesn't have photo package. Even "I" won't see them. But your experience says otherwise. I really think the representative may have been misinformed. But dang she said it so confidently.

"If photos are automatically linked to the accounts of multiple rooms, 1 person could buy an all-inclusive package and share the photos amongst all of the people in it, and the people in other rooms would get all of the photos without paying anything for them."

Exactly. That's exactly what I have understood all this time. Why on earth would I have the other room to buy the photo package. I will download all the time and give it to them. The only catch is that - and I accept this - in all photos one person in my stateroom has to be in it. That's fine!

"It is also possible that there have been changes made to the process since my last cruise in September 2023."

Right. That's what she said. And hence I wonder if anyone who has travel in 2024 til now that debunk or confirm this.

We sailed in August 2023 with my family in one room having the package and my cousin's family in another room not having the package. It was always based on the room they scanned as mentioned above. We did family photos one night with both of our families together, some of just the children, and then photos of our individual families. We scanned my band and I received all of the photos including of ones with only my cousin's family. We did the Royal Gathering at two separate times so I received the photos for my daughter but not the ones of her daughter.

The same always happened in the dining room as well when we scanned my band. I was not anticipating getting their photos when we were not in them but even there I received photos that only had the three of them with no one in my family in the picture.

I am going to think the CM that said if you took photos with someone without the package and did not receive the photos at first it would be in an instance where they scanned their band/card. If it did not show up for you it is not lost. Since you purchased the package you can still have it linked to your account later and get it.

Hi. Thank you for the response.

So, my (previous) understanding of this type of situation is that you and your other party would have access to the same photo. That's great and all.

And to be clear. I am asking my question because, since I am traveling with family. It wouldn't make sense to have both room get the photo package. If I were just to be the photo package myself, I can access them, download them, print them, and share with my family who didn't buy the photo package. I mean, to have two rooms who are family buy the same photo package for the sake of access is money grab in my opinion. This where my confusion is that. Why would the other stateroom need to buy it. They're going to get the photos too because I have them! lol

I figured it worked like this:

If the second room doesn’t accept paying for the 50% off package, they won’t get any individual pics of themselves. The ONLY pictures they will get access to are ones that include the people from the room who paid full price.

Room A is Mom, Dad and 2 kids. They buy the pic package.

Room B is Grandparents and cousin, or maybe Room A’s brother with his own kids. If they do not ad on the package then they cannot get any pictures of their families alone. Like maybe Grandparents would like a ‘couple’ photo, but that won’t work if only Room A pays.

Beyond that, they also won’t be able to ‘fake’ being residents of Room A, because the facial recognition would catch Grandparents couples pic, and not allow anybody access to that pic (edit to add - until they buy that particular picture individually or in room package).

Last edited:
Unless things have changed a great deal, any photos with someone in the stateroom with the package will be available to that stateroom.
Just like the cast member said don't believe everything you read online, you should also know that shoreside cast members are sometimes clueless on how things actually work.

Unless things have changed a great deal, any photos with someone in the stateroom with the package will be available to that stateroom.
Just like the cast member said don't believe everything you read online, you should also know that shoreside cast members are sometimes clueless on how things actually work.

Yeah. It could also be a bit of confusion, like the way things are said leave points open to interpretation. Or the CM not fully understanding what it is they are trying to describe because they don’t have the actual experience themselves.

I would like to hear from someone who has sailed this year whether printed photos are accessible onboard and can still be purchased individually or in small packages of 10 or 20.

If they can, then it would make no sense to assign photos to a room only if a package has been purchased, because DCL would lose the ability to sell photos or convince someone to buy a package onboard.

If that feature has been lost and the only way to see your photos is to buy a package, then only people in rooms that purchased the package would see their photos, as Genie+ described.

We’ve never bought a photo package, but we do buy individual photos. We can see any pictures taken that include any member of our stateroom. Then on the last day we select a couple to purchase. I believe the phone CM is mistaken and doesn’t quite understand the system.

I wonder if it's a privacy issue? If you took a photo with me, a random stranger but I was wearing a cool outfit, and then you ended up putting it on Facebook, maybe I didn't WANT to be on Facebook? I do think facial recognition is coming fast and furious. For good and bad.

We cruised in October in 2 adjoining staterooms and purchased one photo package. All of the photos from both rooms showed up in the downloads. Our DD went on her own many times with friends and got photos which all showed up in the downloads. I agree with poster who said to purchase multiple packages just in case and then cancel them once on board when you get correct current information. I certainly hope they have not changed this, what you were told sounds crazy.

We sailed in August 2023 with my family in one room having the package and my cousin's family in another room not having the package. It was always based on the room they scanned as mentioned above. We did family photos one night with both of our families together, some of just the children, and then photos of our individual families. We scanned my band and I received all of the photos including of ones with only my cousin's family. We did the Royal Gathering at two separate times so I received the photos for my daughter but not the ones of her daughter.

The same always happened in the dining room as well when we scanned my band. I was not anticipating getting their photos when we were not in them but even there I received photos that only had the three of them with no one in my family in the picture.

I am going to think the CM that said if you took photos with someone without the package and did not receive the photos at first it would be in an instance where they scanned their band/card. If it did not show up for you it is not lost. Since you purchased the package you can still have it linked to your account later and get it.

Thank you so much for your reply.

So, your testimony is exactly how I understood it prior to talking to the representative. Actually, your situation went even further than what I would have accepted for my situation because you said you received photos with just your cousin's family as well (who did not purchase any photo package). This is very cool (and I guess generous on the photographer's part? or ... fail on their part, but you won). See, I accepted it like this: as long as "I" or anyone in my stateroom with the photo package in in the photo with anyone else in the other stateroom, I will have access to the photo. If a person in the other stateroom wants an individual photo - I would accept and have always understood that "I" would not be able to get the photo even if I use my band. But your situation says otherwise! Woo!!!

"I am going to think the CM that said if you took photos with someone without the package and did not receive the photos at first it would be in an instance where they scanned their band/card."

I think this is a fair point and I made sure to tell this scenario as well. I emphasized that I would be using my band. They photos will go to me. I download them. I email them. Simple. That's all.

Omg you said something so interesting. It has become a growing suspicion in my mind that the rep that say this may just be hired as customer service rep, but never actually went on Disney cruise or experience with photo package on Disney cruise.

So you know what I said? I said it could be, no fault to them, that they have to follow "protocol and policy" to say to customers to maximize profits. On my end, I'm trying to save money. I want to buy just one package. They would, obviously, as a business, say buy two, but the second one is 50% off. I say that makes absolutely no sense. No!

I figured it worked like this:

If the second room doesn’t accept paying for the 50% off package, they won’t get any individual pics of themselves. The ONLY pictures they will get access to are ones that include the people from the room who paid full price.

Room A is Mom, Dad and 2 kids. They buy the pic package.

Room B is Grandparents and cousin, or maybe Room A’s brother with his own kids. If they do not ad on the package then they cannot get any pictures of their families alone. Like maybe Grandparents would like a ‘couple’ photo, but that won’t work if only Room A pays.

Beyond that, they also won’t be able to ‘fake’ being residents of Room A, because the facial recognition would catch Grandparents couples pic, and not allow anybody access to that pic (edit to add - until they buy that particular picture individually or in room package).

"If the second room doesn’t accept paying for the 50% off package, they won’t get any individual pics of themselves."
Yes, I am 100% OK with this. Because the goal is to take mostly group photos. the family in the connecting stateroom would be informed about the plan.

And I'd like to also share that, like everyone these days, we all will have our smart phones with us. I will also take pictures with my iPhone. I just want professional photos of my family at dining and nice backgrounds - and I am willing to pay the price... for ONE package.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter