Any one used Space Saver bags?

CSX2

Mouseketeer
I caught the last half of an infomercial about a product called Space Saver bags. Normally I surf right by any infomercial but this one caught my attention. They looked kind of like large ziplocks but had a one-way seal that allows you to push all the air out without letting any back in and really reduced the size for packing.

My instincts tell me this is probably a rip-off. Has anyone ever used them?

Yes, Yes and Yes. We use them to store large blankets and sweaters during the summer and most importantly for our Disney Trips. We bring them along and use them for dirty clothes. Once inside the bags we can let the air out and it all fits nice and need in the suitcase. We never leave home without them. :wave:

Just a warning that I read on another post...Now that suitcases must be left unlocked on airplanes, they may open the space saver bags to check in them. It was a HUGE mess for one poster as everything did not fit so well into the suitcase without the spacesaver bag!:smooth:

I forget now, are these bags transparent? I guess they may open them anyway because something could be hidden between layers of clothes. Are the opening up ziplocs also?

I used them and loved them. I was lucky enough not to have airport security open them, but I was very careful not to put any clothing with metal, including belts into the bags. The quadrupled my packing space, although the bags were very heavy, so make sure you have a wheeled bag.

One more tip...I recommended them to a friend, who bought the regular space bags instead of the travel type. She shrunk her clothes, and brought one bag. On the return trip, she realized she had no vacuum cleaner to suck out the air!!LOL. The travel bags alow you to squeeze it out. So make sure you get that kind. I buy mine at Linen's 'n Things.

I bought my space saver bags at Walmart a couple of weeks ago.
I bought them for storage at home, but each box had a "bonus" carry-on size bag (no vacuum needed). I'm going to try these out when we go in March.

Tigger22

We just used the samsonite bags.They are awesome ,we went skiing for a week and for the first time ever we had room left in our suitcase.I highly reccomend them!!!.....one of the large ones took,a couple of gloves, a ski pant and a parka. They are kind of tricky ,but, once you learn how to squeze the air out of them,it gets easier.Right now, we have 2 large and 2 travel size bags and am seriously considering buying more.They are so convenient!!;)

I bought these to minimize the space i used to store my off season clothes and took them on my last trip in October. They were great! When i got home, I bought another set. I highly recommend them and they are not a rip off. I too bought the kind that you squeeze the air out of.

I ordered mine from QVC: item #F29226 Pack Mate set of 12 space saving storage and travel bags $26.86 +s/h & tax. The set has 4 sizes & I used small, med., and large in my bag (I did not take a large suit case). You can probably find a better description on QVC's web site. I have seen similar bags at AAA office near me, and at Bed Bath & Beyond. The price at QVC was better, though. Unfortunately, I live 20 minutes from their studio & they don't sell them in the store there, so i had to order them. But they are well worth it!

I ordered them from some infomercial. The clear bags came in very helpful on our last trip to WDW and DCL. We stored our shoes, underwear and swimsuits in them (no wet swimsuits though, that is a mildew no-no!) They are great space savers for things that can get wrinkled. I didn't use them for any T-shirts, shorts or dresses for that reason....once you seal them up, the wrinkles stay! But all in all we found them quite useful spacesavers for our suitcases!

Oops, forgot to say I think I paid either 19.99 or 29.99 for them. About 6-8 bags came, in addition to a large garment bag that needed to use a vacuum to suck the air out (plus a "free gift" travel pillow...whhhooo hoooo;) ) That's all!

I like them alot. But they are best for things that have alot of "air" in them - like a sweater, a fluffy towel, a down jacket. Anything that is made of a dense material (like jeans) is not going to get smaller by having air squeezed out - there's not much air to squeeze out in something like that.

However, it also helps in organizing your packing to put things in bags. And yes, they are clear. Nowadays never pack anything in an opaque container unless you are ready to open it up for security.

I also used regular ziplocks to pack our underwear, in a single layer. That way, most security places will just feel the bag, and don;t need to open to inspect. Especially good if you're coming home with dirty laundry!
:eek:

I thankfully used spacebags for just about everything on our recent trip when security became even tighter with ORANGE ALERT. Our checked bags were openned right in front of us (Syracuse NY) and I was glad that security had no trouble looking at what we had, moving things around, and most importantly - getting the bag closed afterwards. In Orlando we had film in our checked bags so they openned them instead of putting them through X-ray. - which was fine with those great Spacesaver bags! And with the crazy extremes in weather (40's at night to high 70's in the day) we packed much more and took less luggage. Best product they've come up with yet!

This weekend I saw the neatest thing on a public tv show "Haley's Hints"... Basically, you don't even need to buy these special bags! Just use a trash bag! You just put the items in there, draw the bag into a circle with your hand, and suck out the air with a vacuum cleaner! Once the air is out, just twist the bag a few times & secure it with a rubberband! I was VERY impressed! I am definitely going to try this at home... ;)

I was going to use them in January, since our winter clothes take up so much space. But due to the new luggage pound limitations, I went with more pieces of luggage, and each being lighter.
I didn't want to risk making a piece of luggage weigh 50#+.

These SPACE SAVER BAGS or "compressor bags" are very worthwhile /useful / heavy duty. But don't buy them off TV. You can get them on Ebay for a good price. Also HEFTY sells thier brand of 2.5-gallon ziplocks at target, K-mart....but these are a one-use deal. Also, don't buy the kind that require a vacuum. (not realistic) .:Pinkbounc :bounce: :smooth: :confused: :jester: :cool: :rolleyes: :mad: :p :o :( ;) :) :D ;) :o :o

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter