Any plan in place for the dining plan to return

I was hoping for it to come back too. It may not save me any money, but I loved the all-inclusive feel. Last time I put the "dining plan" money on a few gift cards, but I was constantly worried about losing them since they had a large amount of money on them. And a lot of smaller denomination ones would have been a pain. I guess we will just charge to the room and grin and bear that huge bill at the end. lol...
Load them on the website. No risk. Loose a card just move the money to another card

It is
Which is why I do not understand why so many are clamoring for it to return. I hope they realize that if it makes money for Disney it likely looses money for them
I think when people go to Disney they’ve already accepted that they’re going to lose money on basically everything. It’s a convenience thing for most people.

I’m trying my first gift card “DP” for our trip in March. Doing research we’re not spending close to 159 a day per person with how we do the parks. So I know we’ll save money. Even going to Chef Mickey and Hollywood and Vine days we’re not at 159 each, it’s a little cheaper.

Preface to say us having 2 little ones who will eat at those 2 places free definitely helps.

I think when people go to Disney they’ve already accepted that they’re going to lose money on basically everything. It’s a convenience thing for most people.

I’m trying my first gift card “DP” for our trip in March. Doing research we’re not spending close to 159 a day per person with how we do the parks. So I know we’ll save money. Even going to Chef Mickey and Hollywood and Vine days we’re not at 159 each, it’s a little cheaper.

Preface to say us having 2 little ones who will eat at those 2 places free definitely helps.
Huh? Spending a lot is not the same as loosing money. As in, paying more for the same thing.
Paying more for the dining plan than you‘d pay for food as you go just because it’s convenient is just not smart. Disney loves it of course. That’s like paying more per gallon for gas at the station just because you want make it easy and pay for a monthly gas membership. No one would choose to do that. Pay as you go.

Huh? Spending a lot is not the same as loosing money. As in, paying more for the same thing.
Paying more for the dining plan than you‘d pay for food as you go just because it’s convenient is just not smart. Disney loves it of course. That’s like paying more per gallon for gas at the station just because you want make it easy and pay for a monthly gas membership. No one would choose to do that. Pay as you go.
When did I argue it was “smart”? It’s obvious people do it for convenience. I didn’t say it was the best use of your money, I’m not debating any point you’re making.

But it’s one of the most requested things to return so obviously people don’t care about paying more for convenience is the only point I was making.

When did I argue it was “smart”? It’s obvious people do it for convenience. I didn’t say it was the best use of your money, I’m not debating any point you’re making.

But it’s one of the most requested things to return so obviously people don’t care about paying more for convenience is the only point I was making.
it's paying for the convenience I think of just not having to deal with it and knowing your food is already paid for.... I can relate in real life, I subscribe to Instacart Express, it definitely costs more than if I just went to the grocery store myself, but as a busy working mom with young kids I'm willing to pay for the convenience of not having to go to the store every week

I'm not really certain it's all that nice to basically call posters dumb for wanting what they want....on a thread asking for when the dining plan will return (not that it would be nice elsewhere but yeah).

A convenience factor exists whether anyone else thinks it's their cup of tea or not is def. going to vary.

it's paying for the convenience I think of just not having to deal with it and knowing your food is already paid for.... I can relate in real life, I subscribe to Instacart Express, it definitely costs more than if I just went to the grocery store myself, but as a busy working mom with young kids I'm willing to pay for the convenience of not having to go to the store every week
Agreed 100%. I agree it’s not for everyone and it’s not in the budget for everyone. But it’s clearly an option a lot of Disney fans enjoy paying for.

It is
Which is why I do not understand why so many are clamoring for it to return. I hope they realize that if it makes money for Disney it likely looses money for them
For my purposes (last dining plan was about 5 years ago) we always saved money. I have an engineering degree and can't help constantly doing math. I will say it made me order the more expensive things on the menu. however, then I probably would have if I didn't have the dining plan.

For my purposes (last dining plan was about 5 years ago) we always saved money. I have an engineering degree and can't help constantly doing math. I will say it made me order the more expensive things on the menu. however, then I probably would have if I didn't have the dining plan.
Agreed! We always save money using the regular dining plan. Our DDs are 21+ and the four of us always order an alcoholic beverage ($12-$14 each drink) with our meals (only when we are on holidays - it is a treat that we likely would not allow ourselves if we weren't on dining plan). We eat at one credit places that are expensive (Boma, Chef Mickey, 'Ohana) and get lots of use out of the mugs that come with the plan. We are travelling this summer for the first time in about 15+ years without the DDP and I am still crossing my fingers that it comes back!
To each their own!

I'm not really certain it's all that nice to basically call posters dumb for wanting what they want....on a thread asking for when the dining plan will return (not that it would be nice elsewhere but yeah).

A convenience factor exists whether anyone else thinks it's their cup of tea or not is def. going to vary.
Um whoa. I never called anyone dumb. I take serious offense at that. I said doing a specific thing was not a smart choice. That is in no way shape or form calling a poster dumb. I was never referring to a person

Guess what, if you tipped and I’m going to assume you did it increased your tip too. That adds up

Agreed! We always save money using the regular dining plan. Our DDs are 21+ and the four of us always order an alcoholic beverage ($12-$14 each drink) with our meals (only when we are on holidays - it is a treat that we likely would not allow ourselves if we weren't on dining plan). We eat at one credit places that are expensive (Boma, Chef Mickey, 'Ohana) and get lots of use out of the mugs that come with the plan. We are travelling this summer for the first time in about 15+ years without the DDP and I am still crossing my fingers that it comes back!
To each their own!
When they added that alcohol I think it changed a lot on people's figures in a more positive way. It would take one wanting to order it but it def. changed the calculations people would previously run if they were people who drink that is.

Um whoa. I never called anyone dumb. I take serious offense at that. I said doing a specific thing was not a smart choice. That is in no way shape or form calling a poster dumb. I was never referring to a person
Well calling someone's choices not smart just because you don't agree with them is pretty darn close to calling them dumb for doing so.

You're on a thread where people are asking when/if it will return and are wanting the dining plan back. I think they were just looking for someone to have heard any info not to be told they are losing money, likening it to paying more in gas, not making a smart choice, etc and I used to be quite contrarian about the Dining Plan but I did understand why for some they preferred it even if I knew it wouldn't work out ever for us.

I apologize if you are seriously offended but I would also say you came in guns blazing here. Back to the thread topic for me, please enjoy the rest of your evening.

When they added that alcohol I think it changed a lot on people's figures in a more positive way. It would take one wanting to order it but it def. changed the calculations people would previously run if they were people who drink that is.
Yes, this definitely made it more positive for us. We aren't big drinkers, but it is a treat to order a fancy drink - we don't need it, but we enjoy it. There are even some non-alcoholic drinks like milkshakes that are about $8, which we get on occasion. I see both sides of the dining plan argument, but we actually make it work in our favour (partly because we are all 21+). Our family is hoping for it to return as it will impact our vacation in a positive way.

Guess what, if you tipped and I’m going to assume you did it increased your tip too. That adds up
Yeah it sure did! One time we ate at the yachtsman when the kids were still small. My son was four and daughter was six. They decided they wanted to try crab legs so we let them order them. They didn't require the kids to order from the kids menu or they didn't have one. I can't remember which. Our total for the meal before tip was like $380.00 for four. We tipped like a hundred dollars. It was fun though.

That's when we learned our daughter really likes crab. While we were busy cracking their crab legs, we weren't paying attention to our son. While we were distracted he ate every single one of the muscles out of my wife's pasta. He suddenly says "those were good," and we look around to see he's eating every single one of them. He has loved muscles ever since.

this story is another reason we love the dining plan. We would have never ordered this stuff for the kiddos if we were having to pay $60 each for them to try something crazy for their age.

One year we bought the deluxe dining plan or whatever it's called. (I think it was the trip we went to the yachtsman) that gives you three table service meals a day. Back then it also came with an appetizer and dessert with each meal. We hurt ourselves that year trying to get our money's worth. We did not save money. I do not recommend that dining plan. We do recommend the single quick service and single table service per day with one snack.

I want to plan a return to Disney with my family and the lack of the dining plan is the only thing hold me back. Is there any word on the dining plan return this year or next?
Not that I've heard. /fingerscrossed it'll happen soon!

Joey

Not clear how having (or not having) a dining plan makes any difference on when you decide to go to Disney.
It doesn't specifically for us. We just are big fans of the DDP and are hoping it's back before our May '23 trip.
Dining plans are mostly a pre-paid meal expense and you maybe break even if you do several character meals and/or eat at the pricier places. It might be convenient to pre-pay for your meals, but doubt that is really any significant savings.
Savings aren't the main point for us. We eat almost entirely TS because that's easier for DH who uses a powerchair. And, we do lots of Sigs and character meals. It's not unusual for us to eat a breakfast and dinner at CRT, for instance.

We're also big eaters with as much roaming the parks as we do. We've always gotten the Deluxe DDP and rarely leave much uneaten of appetizer-entree-dessert. The snack credits go for Disney exclusives like Werther's caramel popcorn and rice crispy treats. We actually took home 10 large bags of caramel corn once, a few for gifts but most for us. Yeah, it gets a bit stale before we've eaten all those but is still plenty tasty.

For people like us--probably fairly rare--the DDPs can be a good deal. But, I do agree that it's mostly for ease and convenience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter