Any USA entry updates?

This new strain has been around since September, they kept this information to themselves. At the moment the only difference is that it spreads much more easily, it's not more dangerous or lethal, or so they think and the vaccine should be equally as effective. It does bring it home the advice about following the wash hands, wear a mask and observe social distancing even more.
I'm not booking a trip anywhere anytime soon.

Yes. I considered the idea being mooted in the summer of 'normal by Christmas' was utterly insane given our extensive experience of winter flu, etc. Unbelievably stupid.

I do feel sorry for the traders, etc, but many are getting some government support, so hopefully will survive.

I think that is the main problem. It's like seatbelt wearing a couple of decades ago - there's a kind of "it won't happen to me" attitude.
If people would behave sensibly and responsibly then we wouldn't need these draconian restrictions and many lives and businesses could be saved.
I don't understand why places of worship are allowed to remain open, small, so called non essential shops have strict policies on how many people are allowed in and insist on masks and supply hand sanitiser for customers and they had to close on Saturday with next to no notice. , Do places of worship do the same regarding numbers, masks and hand sanitiser?

We have another announcement tonight at 5pm by Boris - I hope not (currently in tier 3) but I think he's going to put the whole country into tier 4 because of the backlash he's got from his most recent announcement. I'm sorry to all of those who are having a difficult time this year, especially if it's not seeing your loved ones but I hope you have a lovely Christmas and pray this is the only one we have where covid is involved :(

They should be using basically the same rules as everyone else as far as I can see here:
COVID-19: guidance for the safe use of places of worship from 2 December
Third section down seems to say the usual tier rules apply most of the time.
There then follows acres of detailed guidance :surfweb:
I cannot find any justification to keep them open while small businesses that are going to suffer and, in my town at least, have been extremely responsible in limiting numbers and providing sanitising stations. Will people really keep their masks on while they worship? And whose going to report them if they don't. Places of worship have greater potential to be super spreaders than any small business. Worship at home, your god will understand if you do so.

I cannot find any justification to keep them open while small businesses that are going to suffer and, in my town at least, have been extremely responsible in limiting numbers and providing sanitising stations. Will people really keep their masks on while they worship? And whose going to report them if they don't. Places of worship have greater potential to be super spreaders than any small business. Worship at home, your god will understand if you do so.
I agree entirely. The problem is that religious groups have cried (when shut down) that they are being discriminated against ( :confused3 ), so I think it's become a bit of a hot potato for the gov't.

They should be using basically the same rules as everyone else as far as I can see here:
COVID-19: guidance for the safe use of places of worship from 2 December
Third section down seems to say the usual tier rules apply most of the time.
There then follows acres of detailed guidance :surfweb:
We were hoping to attend Church on Christmas morning. Spoken Eucharist. We had to book places, but sadly the service was cancelled today. We have a key to the Church, so we will let ourselves in for private prayer.

New strain of the virus has come to light in South East so London and most of the areas around there are now in Tier 4 which is total lockdown apart from schools. Wales has also implemented Tier 4 early (was meant to come in on the 28th December but came in at Midnight on Saturday) as has Scotland I believe to. Christmas has basically been cancelled for most people. I really wish they hadn't given us hope of being able to see family at Christmas as I think that would have been easier to deal with than having to change plans twice now in 1 week! We are in Wales and the Tier 4 announcement on Tuesday led us to rethink out original plans to see my sister and her hubby but this change on Saturday evening (5pm the announcement was made) meant we had to scrambled together and go see them on Saturday to exchange gifts etc before the midnight lock down. It was way more stressful than any of us wanted or needed.
Thanks. It is difficult to keep track of which country does what. We don't have a tire system but are under "hard lock down" (basically everything had to shut down except for essential infrastructure) since the "soft" version did nothing against the increase in cases.

I was really hoping a spring trip to WDW will be possible but I am back to "let's wait and see". I am still confident that we will be able to travel at one point in 2021 even if it will be late 2021. Right now it's about staying safe and healthy and dreaming of better times :cloud9:The good thing is that I have plenty of time to change my hotel reservation again and again :teeth: There are just too many good options ;)

I don't understand why places of worship are allowed to remain open, small, so called non essential shops have strict policies on how many people are allowed in and insist on masks and supply hand sanitiser for customers and they had to close on Saturday with next to no notice. , Do places of worship do the same regarding numbers, masks and hand sanitiser?

Churches are part of the support system required for some individuals which is why they have agreed to keep them open. The same argument could be had to schools which are also open and don't have the same strict rules as shops etc. The churches around me are enforcing every rule that shops are including having to wear masks. They are also requiring pre-booking to ensure that numbers are low. Whether you are religious or not this is a major religious holiday and yes people could worship at home but some people need the support of others and the church is a vital lifeline. Please can we keep this respectful for those people who are religious and not start questioning whether specific rules are fair or not between the different types of organisations. Most religious services have been cancelled but they are remaining open to allow support for people who need it. Also to add I don't attend church but I know lots of people who do and understand the argument for keeping them open in this really sad time. I know we are all struggling with this situation but I really don't think this forum is the right place to vent at these rules especially with no evidence that places of worship are doing anything wrong or anything different from small businesses.

has anyone any updates or rumours if we will be allowed entry into the US
As the OP asked about ESTA visas, does anyone have any more updates? My February trip for the Princess weekend was cancelled by Disney, but I'm still holding out hope for our August trip. Would you risk booking when we don't know about the visas being reinstated?

As the OP asked about ESTA visas, does anyone have any more updates? My February trip for the Princess weekend was cancelled by Disney, but I'm still holding out hope for our August trip. Would you risk booking when we don't know about the visas being reinstated?
oh i hadn't realized visas were an issue as well.
While we have cancelled our trip in july/august that was for the whole family (DH, me, kids and grandkids), my daughter and son in law are still planning to go in august.
While my daughter is a US citizen, her husband isn't and his Visa expires in May.
he has an interview scheduled for March at the embassy for a new visa, so i hope there's no issue.
Obviously, they won't be able to go if he can't get a visa.

The official US Customs and Border Control website states they are suspended, well for holiday-makers at least.

In accordance with Proclamation—Suspension of Entry as Immigrants and Nonimmigrants of Certain Additional Persons Who Pose a Risk of Transmitting Coronavirus, effective at 11:59 p.m. eastern daylight time on March 16, 2020, the entry into the United States is suspended for most individuals, other than United States citizens and lawful permanent residents, who have been physically present within the United Kingdom, excluding overseas territories outside of Europe, or the Republic of Ireland within 14 days of travel to the United States. Proclamation 9993 regarding travel from a Schengen Area country also remains in effect. Any traveler with a valid ESTA who is subject to the Proclamation and who attempts to travel the United States in violation of the Proclamation will have their ESTA canceled. ESTA will not refund applications that are canceled due to this Proclamation. Travelers who have questions about whether they are subject to, or exempted from, the Proclamation should refer to the Proclamation language, and consult with the U.S. Department of State and the air carrier, as appropriate, in advance of travel to avoid travel disruptions. Proclamation 9984 (Suspension of Entry as Immigrants and Nonimmigrants of Persons Who Pose a Risk of Transmitting 2019 Novel Coronavirus and Other Appropriate Measures To Address This Risk), Proclamation 9992 (Suspension of Entry as Immigrants and Nonimmigrants of Certain Additional Persons Who Pose a Risk of Transmitting 2019 Novel Coronavirus), and Proclamation 9993 (Suspension of Entry as Immigrants and Nonimmigrants of Certain Additional Persons Who Pose a Risk of Transmitting 2019 Novel Coronavirus) all remain in effect.

The official US Customs and Border Control website states they are suspended, well for holiday-makers at least.

In accordance with Proclamation—Suspension of Entry as Immigrants and Nonimmigrants of Certain Additional Persons Who Pose a Risk of Transmitting Coronavirus, effective at 11:59 p.m. eastern daylight time on March 16, 2020, the entry into the United States is suspended for most individuals, other than United States citizens and lawful permanent residents, who have been physically present within the United Kingdom, excluding overseas territories outside of Europe, or the Republic of Ireland within 14 days of travel to the United States. Proclamation 9993 regarding travel from a Schengen Area country also remains in effect. Any traveler with a valid ESTA who is subject to the Proclamation and who attempts to travel the United States in violation of the Proclamation will have their ESTA canceled. ESTA will not refund applications that are canceled due to this Proclamation. Travelers who have questions about whether they are subject to, or exempted from, the Proclamation should refer to the Proclamation language, and consult with the U.S. Department of State and the air carrier, as appropriate, in advance of travel to avoid travel disruptions. Proclamation 9984 (Suspension of Entry as Immigrants and Nonimmigrants of Persons Who Pose a Risk of Transmitting 2019 Novel Coronavirus and Other Appropriate Measures To Address This Risk), Proclamation 9992 (Suspension of Entry as Immigrants and Nonimmigrants of Certain Additional Persons Who Pose a Risk of Transmitting 2019 Novel Coronavirus), and Proclamation 9993 (Suspension of Entry as Immigrants and Nonimmigrants of Certain Additional Persons Who Pose a Risk of Transmitting 2019 Novel Coronavirus) all remain in effect.
wow - that's governmentalese if i ever saw any.....

Just to clarify...ESTAs themselves aren't suspended, but entry into the USA is for most people. An ESTA doesn't guarantee entry, it's not an entry permission as such and it's not a visa, it's an electronic replacement for the green visa waiver slips you had to fill in on the plane. I believe you can still apply and get an ESTA if you really want. However, if you attempt to enter while you have an ESTA and entry is suspended, the ESTA will be cancelled.

Just to clarify...ESTAs themselves aren't suspended, but entry into the USA is for most people. An ESTA doesn't guarantee entry, it's not an entry permission as such and it's not a visa, it's an electronic replacement for the green visa waiver slips you had to fill in on the plane. I believe you can still apply and get an ESTA if you really want. However, if you attempt to enter while you have an ESTA and entry is suspended, the ESTA will be cancelled.
My wording may have been incorrect but the sentiment is the same - holidaymakers like myself from the UK are not permitted entry to the US due to the suspension. I won't be applying for a 2 year ESTA until I can guarantee entry.

Just a slight clarification about the ESTA's. I haven't done it but people have been applying for and are being approved for ESTA's since March, when the Executive Order was signed. Applying for an ESTA is fine, its the Advance Passenger Information that you give to the airline, that is linked to your ESTA, that is seen as an attempt to travel the United States which then is in violation of the Proclamation and thats when the ESTA canceled.

I am a member of an airline loyalty program and my API information is saved on my account. As I currently have flights booked to USA, which I keep changing the dates on, if I apply for an ESTA before the Executive Order is reversed, it will be seen as an attempt to travel the United States and my ESTA will be not be approved.

However, if you just apply for an ESTA and you don't have a flight booked or you have not given the airline API, then your ESTA will be approved.

Basically its all a big waiting game, we just need to wait for the Executive Order to be reversed and then the information will be changed on the ESTA website and on The Official US Customs and Border Control website

Last edited:
Just a slight clarification about the ESTA's. I haven't done it but people have been applying for and are being approved for ESTA's since March, when the Executive Order was signed. Applying for an ESTA is fine, its the Advance Passenger Information that you give to the airline, that is linked to your ESTA, that is seen as an attempt to travel the United States which then is in violation of the Proclamation and thats when the ESTA canceled.
Yes I applied for an ESTA and it came through in normal time. Feeling less optimistic by the day for my March trip, but maybe we will be lucky.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter