Anybody ever done Grand Cayman on your own??

n8nally

DIS Veteran
Thoughts, tips, ideas? Resources for finding maps, restaurants, beaches, must-see historical attractions? How about the safety factor?

I am looking at the Disney excursions and none appeal to me. I wish there was a low cost, beach day with a turtle farm trip thrown in. Maybe a local restaurant with traditional ethnic food of the area for lunch, and a short walking tour. I see nothing like that, so I am considering piecing it together myself.

Grand Cayman is very safe. We took a taxi to Royal palm club on 7 mile beach. The taxi was 4pp. 3 dollars to get into the club. We rented 2 chairs and umbrella for 25 dollars. They have a good restaurant there on the beach. We walked back to the ship to get some exercise. It was about a 45 minute walk. The beach was excellent, kids enjoyed it, and it didn't cost us a ton of money. If you want more info they have a website just google it.

We also did a taxi to Royal Palms about three weeks ago. It was very inexpensive and a great way to spend the day at a beautiful beach.

Two years ago we booked an excursion through Island Marketing - google Island Marketing Cayman Islands. This was called the Stingray City Wave Runner tour. We were told where and when to meet a Taxi (very close to the pier), and then were taken to a resort where the wave runners were kept. My wife and daughter each had their own wave runner, and my son and I shared one. With a few other people and a guide, we rode to Stingray City (about a 20 minute ride) where the guide anchored the wave runners and we spent some time with the rays.

We then hopped back on the wave runners and went to Rum Point Beach for about 45 minutes or so, and then another 20-30 minutes back to the resort where a waiting cab took us back to the pier.

It was a great experience and a ton of fun, and we wouldn't hesitate to do it again!

All in all, we've found Grand Cayman to be very safe, and the locals very friends!

I am looking at the Disney excursions and none appeal to me. I wish there was a low cost, beach day with a turtle farm trip thrown in. Maybe a local restaurant with traditional ethnic food of the area for lunch, and a short walking tour. I see nothing like that, so I am considering piecing it together myself.

First, I really recommend checking out the Ports forum on cruisecritic's message board. They have so much info. :)

Second, from that forum I have read that there are trustworthy guides for hire, under canopies, once you get off the ship and across the street from the port area. You could see if anyone would be willing to do that for you and be your driver/guide.

Third, the beaches are all right there (assuming you want one of the beaches along 7-miles beach). Just look at some tourist sites for GC and pick one. We are doing a RCCL cruise that includes GC, and I think I've chosen Tiki Beach as the one we will go to. We'll pay a little bit for chairs (the named beaches along 7-mile are all public and free, but if you want to use a chair/lounger/umbrella/etc then you pay the people who own those) and have a nice beach time.

I don't want to visit the Turtle Farm, but if I did I would just get a cab. I have read that they are plentiful.

Food...again, just look at maps of the area. Look on the ports forum. Find out what IS local food, even. :) I personally am intrigued by a Chinese/Indian place, but it's all the way on the other side of the island, and that makes me too nervous (even though I'm sure it would take very little time). But I'm easy with "local"...if it's made by people who live there, I'm good with that. :) Find a place and catch a cab.

Walking tour...I haven't heard anything negative about GC, so I figure you could just, again, look at some tourist guides/sites, choose what you want to see, and create a tour for yourself.

Just be sure to look at the Navigator for what time the ship is on, make sure you have a proper watch (not something that's going to change time on its own, like a cell phone that forgets it's on airplane mode, LOL) set to the ship's time, and make sure you're back WELL in advance of all-aboard time.

Grand Cayman is a good port to make your own excursion in. There are plenty of cab drivers/tour operators who are willing to negotiate and customize their route for you. When we were in Grand Cayman a year ago, we got a van to take us and another family to Hell and then 7-Mile Beach for $11 per person.

I have heard that many places are closed on Sunday in Grand Cayman- and that's when we port there. Is this true? I have also heard the food prices at Royal Palms were ridiculous, but is there anything else near by we could get for lunch?

I have heard that many places are closed on Sunday in Grand Cayman- and that's when we port there. Is this true? I have also heard the food prices at Royal Palms were ridiculous, but is there anything else near by we could get for lunch?

We ported there on a Sunday and everything was open as usual. We did our own thing, shopped a little (Bought matching Pandora leather wraps for our wrists, fab) and then had a wee coffee up in a cafe, then ate chicken jerky in a beach bar, a short stroll from the boat. There was a tiny little beach the locals were fishing on, and I literally stood side by side with a pelican. I was a happy bunny. (We had trips booked for all our other ports, G.cayman was by far the safest feeling place)

Hope this helps! :)

We also went to Royal Palms on our own. Yes, we thought the food prices were high, but we all had a fabulous time! It was our favorite port.

We went on a Sunday. Many things were closed. Practically no buses or taxis run on Sun. We managed to find a bus to take us to the Turtle Farm (which was open). But there were no buses or taxis to take us back to port. A private charter driver saw that we were stranded at the farm and took pity on us. He gave us a ride back to the port and even stopped for gas in Hell so we could see it. (All at no charge). After we got to the port we returned to the ship. 7 Mile Beach was not in walking distance from the port and since buses and taxis weren't running we missed going there. If you go on a Sunday, I would advise doing a Port Excursion. Also the turtle farm was 18.00 a person just to see 3 or 4 tanks of turtles. We were in and out of there in about 10 minutes. Not worth the money! Next time we will do a port excursion.

We ported there on a Sunday and everything was open as usual. We did our own thing, shopped a little (Bought matching Pandora leather wraps for our wrists, fab) and then had a wee coffee up in a cafe, then ate chicken jerky in a beach bar, a short stroll from the boat. There was a tiny little beach the locals were fishing on, and I literally stood side by side with a pelican. I was a happy bunny. (We had trips booked for all our other ports, G.cayman was by far the safest feeling place) Hope this helps! :)
Oh good, we found out there is a grocery store very close by 7MB that has very good local food and where we could pick up waters and juices for our time at the beach. Then we were told that all the grocery stores are closed in GC on Sunday. I was confused :)

My husband and I decided to wing it and didn't book an excursion for Grand Cayman. We figured we would get off the boat and see what was being offered. I don't generally do that but I'd heard GC was really safe. Straight off the boat we found a guy who was loading up his little personal bus (kind of like a giant van) and offering a tour so we figured since there were 20 other people alreadyin the bus. Safety in numbers! He charged us $25 for the 2 of us and took us to a rum factory, the turtle farm (we didn't go in), the dolphin place, Hell, and 7 mile each. It was awesome and I know we got super lucky on that, but it's worth a try. It's a pretty tame island.

Thanks for the replies! We won't be there on a Sunday, so no worries there, but good to know! Anybody been disillusioned with the turtle farm? Maybe we should skip it?

n8nally said:
Thanks for the replies! We won't be there on a Sunday, so no worries there, but good to know! Anybody been disillusioned with the turtle farm? Maybe we should skip it?

We did the DCL excursion to the farm. We had a guide who told us all about the farm and the turtles. My kids fed them with the little pellets you can buy. Then we got to hold baby sea turtles. After that we were on our own to go get lunch (included in our excursion) and them we went and snorkeled in the lagoon with some turtles and later went on the little nature trail to see the birds. There was also a nice looking pool area with a waterside we didn't have time to go to. The turtle farm excursion was one of my favorite parts about the trip, and my kids learned a ton they still talk about!

We did the DCL excursion to the farm. We had a guide who told us all about the farm and the turtles. My kids fed them with the little pellets you can buy. Then we got to hold baby sea turtles. After that we were on our own to go get lunch (included in our excursion) and them we went and snorkeled in the lagoon with some turtles and later went on the little nature trail to see the birds. There was also a nice looking pool area with a waterside we didn't have time to go to. The turtle farm excursion was one of my favorite parts about the trip, and my kids learned a ton they still talk about!

I hope no one will be upset if I hijack the thread for a moment. About how long did it take to do the turtle farm? We are planning on doing the biggest dolphin swim(which Disney doesn't sell), which comes with admission to the turtle farm. We will probably have about an hour for the turtle farm. Will that be enough time to see/feed/hold the turtles? We don't plan on doing the snorkeling or anything like that--just the turtles.

I hope no one will be upset if I hijack the thread for a moment. About how long did it take to do the turtle farm? We are planning on doing the biggest dolphin swim(which Disney doesn't sell), which comes with admission to the turtle farm. We will probably have about an hour for the turtle farm. Will that be enough time to see/feed/hold the turtles? We don't plan on doing the snorkeling or anything like that--just the turtles.

Turtle farm is as long as you wish, you can do it in twenty mins, an hour is more than enough.

We took a public bus (think van) to the Public Beach at 7 Mile Beach and hung out at Surfside Beach which had beach chairs and umbrellas for rent. The van ride was cheaper and quicker than the cab. Cabs will wait for their vehicles to fill up buses do not.

Grand Cayman is a bit seedy, but we felt very safe.

7 Mile Beach is fantastic and I think we just down from the Tiki Beach Club. We had a great view of our ship from the beach.

fnrsgrl said:

For just seeing the turtles that is enough. If you want to do the snorkeling or wildlife park you'd want more time.

Adding my local flavour...

Grand Cayman is perhaps the most developed island in the Caribbean and is definitely one of the wealthiest. It is generally as safe as most any tourist location in the United States. Use common sense.

Yes, groceries are closed by law on Sundays. Tourist shops downtown will be open if ships are in port.

There are popular spots along Seven Mile Beach. Royal Palms is one of those, though food prices may run high. Within short walking distance of Royal Palms you can find cheaper dining options with a local favourite at Chicken!Chicken! (serving wood roasted rotisserie chicken and local sides) in the West Shore Centre. There is a Subway and other restaurants in the West Shore Centre as well. Or a short walk away is Cimboco which is a bit nicer in the Marquee Plaza on Lawrence Blvd just off West By Rd. Pizza Hut and Quiznos are nearby if the kids won't eat anything else.

Prices tend to run high in Cayman and prices are posted at most businesses in Cayman Islands dollars. CI dollars are worth more than US dollars so that $16 (CI dollars) that you see on the menu is going to cost you US$20. Tips are frequently added to the bill, so check before taking on an additional tip.

We were not impressed with the turtle farm. We paid 18.00 a person just to see 3 or 4 tanks of turtles. The area where the turtle tanks are was really small and it took us about 10 minutes to see the tanks and hold the turtles. You don't get to feed the turtles either. Very disappointing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter