Anyone buy a car seat in the US bearing Transport Canada sticker?

disney0210

Yes, I'm a disneyholic.
Don't want to lug DS's carseat along if I can buy one there that is approved by Transport Canada so I can bring it back home via Southwest (I will keep the original packaging and just check it in).

I am assuming *some* brands are sold universally in the US and Canada but I do know we have different standards and thus different approval stickers/labels. I just want to know if I can eventually bring back home, and use, what I buy there.

Hoping someone here has done this before - if you don't mind sharing where you bought it and the brand/model.

TIA!

As far as I know, there are no universal car seats for both Canada and US, they have very different regulations. There are some travel booster seats that can be used in many countries though. As a traveller, I think you can use your own seat when visiting for short periods. I also know of people who buy one when they get to their destination, then leave it there so they don't have to lug it around...

If you are renting a car I believe you can rent a car seat also. If not from the car rental company then there must be a site that rents them.

Just looked it up. $5 per day (on average) from car rental companies and there is a site for baby stuff to rent.

IME, the answer is no. Child restraints sold outside of Canada will not carry Transport Canada approval stickers, even if the same brand and model is available for purchase within Canada. Note that the same brand and model might or might not actually be the exact same seat in both Canada and the US. If you poke around car seat forums, you'll find lots of conflicting information and opinions on this.

You could buy something in the US, bring it home, and use it here. Many have done it. But if you wish to remain in strict compliance with Canadian law (which is, I think, what you meant), then I believe you are out of luck.

The one question that keeps running through my head is what are you doing with DS while you are out buying the car seat? Is one parent going to sit at the airport with him while the other rents the car, goes shopping, and then returns to the airport to pick them up? Probably just a lot easier to get a seat from the rental car company.

IME, the answer is no. Child restraints sold outside of Canada will not carry Transport Canada approval stickers, even if the same brand and model is available for purchase within Canada. Note that the same brand and model might or might not actually be the exact same seat in both Canada and the US. If you poke around car seat forums, you'll find lots of conflicting information and opinions on this.

You could buy something in the US, bring it home, and use it here. Many have done it. But if you wish to remain in strict compliance with Canadian law (which is, I think, what you meant), then I believe you are out of luck.

I think you're right. I think we'll either buy and leave it there or bring our own. Bringing it back does not seem to be an option anymore.

The one question that keeps running through my head is what are you doing with DS while you are out buying the car seat? Is one parent going to sit at the airport with him while the other rents the car, goes shopping, and then returns to the airport to pick them up? Probably just a lot easier to get a seat from the rental car company.

Oh no no. We are taking DME to the resort and arriving early. Later in the day when it's time to pick up at the car care center, I can stay at the resort with the kids while DH gets the car. Then I was planning to pre-buy the car seat say at Walmart or Target or wherever then he just picks it up on the way back to the resort.

One other option I had was Amazon Prime-deliver the carseat to the resort so it's waiting for us there. Least amount of hassle. It was just a question now of whether I can bring the seat back home and use it here (as a spare for the other car) which is why I was asking if someone has had experience buying one with the CMVSS sticker but it seems I won't be able to do that anymore if those sold outside of Canada generally don't carry that sticker to begin with. I won't use a car seat in Canada not bearing that sticker.

Thanks!

Aha - got it! It seems if I log in via my email address and not my username, my username becomes one that I set up ages ago that even I forgot about. This aging thing is beating me LOL.

So YesDisneyAgain and disney 0210 are the same person. How do you want to be addressed going forward?

So YesDisneyAgain and disney 0210 are the same person. How do you want to be addressed going forward?

I'll find a way to cancel/close the YesDisneyAgain and will keep my original disney0210 one as that is where all my old posts are. I tried but couldn't update the email address of the latter since the email address is already in use by the former so for now I'll just have to remember my username log in. I usually am a lurker and rarely post. With profiles for everything from banks, to coffee rewards, to Restaurants to utilities to games, holy geez it's a lot of usernames and passwords

Oh no no. We are taking DME to the resort and arriving early. Later in the day when it's time to pick up at the car care center, I can stay at the resort with the kids while DH gets the car. Then I was planning to pre-buy the car seat say at Walmart or Target or wherever then he just picks it up on the way back to the resort.

One other option I had was Amazon Prime-deliver the carseat to the resort so it's waiting for us there. Least amount of hassle. It was just a question now of whether I can bring the seat back home and use it here (as a spare for the other car) which is why I was asking if someone has had experience buying one with the CMVSS sticker but it seems I won't be able to do that anymore if those sold outside of Canada generally don't carry that sticker to begin with. I won't use a car seat in Canada not bearing that sticker.

Thanks!
Just throwing this out there, why won't you use a car seat in Canada that is approved for use in the U.S.? Is it the chance of a fine or are you concerned with the safety? I'm asking because if you think it's a safety issue, I would assume you wouldn't want to use one anywhere (including in a Fl rental) that is not approved for use in Canada.

I'll find a way to cancel/close the YesDisneyAgain and will keep my original disney0210 one as that is where all my old posts are. I tried but couldn't update the email address of the latter since the email address is already in use by the former so for now I'll just have to remember my username log in. I usually am a lurker and rarely post. With profiles for everything from banks, to coffee rewards, to Restaurants to utilities to games, holy geez it's a lot of usernames and passwords

I hear you. I have a large spreadsheet I use to keep track of all my stuff.

Just throwing this out there, why won't you use a car seat in Canada that is approved for use in the U.S.? Is it the chance of a fine or are you concerned with the safety? I'm asking because if you think it's a safety issue, I would assume you wouldn't want to use one anywhere (including in a Fl rental) that is not approved for use in Canada.

It is illegal to import and use in Canada a seat that does not comply with Canadian standards. See http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehicl...09-menu-353.htm?WT.mc_id=no80n&WT.mc_id=puyll

Canada and US carseat standards are different. This FAQ explains the primary differences: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesafety/safedrivers-childsafety-faq-1131.htm So a carseat made for the US market can meet US standards but may not be able to meet the more stringent Canadian standards. While some of the differences are things like labeling, other differences are safety performance related.

Thanks!

IME you will find that most don't bear the sticker. I live not too far from the border and one day while in the US Walmart a stone's throw from the border decided to look at the labeling for all the carseats they had on display. NONE had the Canadian sticker.

SW

OP: Is your DS old/big enough they could use a booster instead of a carseat ?? Would something like the Mifold work ? [in Canada, Canadian Tire sells them, not sure who else].

SW

I'm a CPST in Canada (AKA car seat tech).

There are no seats in the US that are certified for Canada, but some Evenflo seats purchased in Canada are dual-certified for Canada and the US. In many seats that look identical, there are differences in the Canadian and US version of the seat. Some examples are additional energy-absorbing foam in the head area in some Graco seats, and the inclusion of the anti-rebound bar in Britax convertible seats. The seats require these changes to meet Canadian standards.

You can take your car seat and use it on the plane. Then there is no chance of damage from the baggage handlers. You could then use your seat in the rental car. Depending on the age of your child, the child will be safer on the plane in the car seat rather than just the lap belt, and you have the benefit of installing a car seat you are already familiar with in the rental car. The car seat would have to go under the bus for DME. I've flown with both lightweight seats (Evenflo Sureride/Titan 65) and heavier seats (Clek Fllo, Diono Radian RXT). I strap the seats to a folding luggage cart to get them through the airport and stow the cart in the overhead during the flight.

I used DD carseat on the plane when we flew. but we were renting a car in California when we flew that time. DD8 has been in a booster seat the rest of the times we flew so we just checked it as it was free and it was delivered to our room (I put the yellow luggage tags on it).

OP: Is your DS old/big enough they could use a booster instead of a carseat ?? Would something like the Mifold work ? [in Canada, Canadian Tire sells them, not sure who else].

SW

No, not yet. I was looking at the mifold one as it is super portable and convenient but DS is only 3 years 9 months and only 35 lbs. Mifold is from 4 years old AND 40 lbs. If it was just money, I can gamble but if we were ever in an accident and I know I put him in a seat not meant for him....... I just can't take the chance.

We will just be bringing his current convertible carseat with the 5-point harness.

Thanks everyone for the input! Much appreciated!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter