Anyone do the North Shore Experience excursion from Aulani?

ngl

DIS Veteran
Wanted to get some thoughts if so. Family reunion at Aulani. 6 kids ages 7 through 11. Trying to do something for the whole group.

Also, thoughts on doing Diamond Head?

Thanks!

Never done any of the Aulani excursions. We always have a car and do the same for MUCH, MUCH, MUCH less money.

The north shore is an easy drive. Lots of places to eat and beaches to visit. If you take yourself you can add a stop at the Dole Plantation.

If you go to Diamond Head, go early. The parking lot fills up quickly and it is a hot hike in the afternoon. We went late, had to park outside the park way down the hill, adding another half mile up hill to our hike.

We are in the minority but we were "meh" about Diamond Head. Glad we did it, but it was harder than we were expecting considering what a big tourist destination it is. We are in our early 30s, average shape and found parts difficult. Lots of stairs, uphill (obviously), and uneven terrain. The trail also gets crowded later in the day and there is little room to pull over and rest, so its tough to go at your own pace. It's a conga line of people in front of you and behind you. With 6 kids, you need to trust they will keep up and stay together. When we got to the top, the views were beautiful but it was very crowded and very windy. Another con for us is that we were very sweaty and gross afterward as most of the trail is in direct sun so it gets hot. We needed to go back to our hotel to shower and change before we could do anything else that day.

If you decide to go for it, I echo the PPs recommendation of going as early as possible both for the parking and the heat, and also because the trail will be less crowded earlier in the day.

The North Shore, on the other hand, was one of our favorite places. We drove ourselves because we had a car which gave us the flexibility to explore. We did Dole which was ok, likely more fun for kids. Highly recommend stopping at Matsumoto's for shave ice!

I was going to book the north shore excursion through Disney, but wound up booking a private tour with Oahu private tours. This was a must do for us and we did not rent a car.
CM told me if it was a must do I might ant to do private. They will cancel tour if not 10 people.
I was very happy with my choice and would use them again. Plus was cheaper than Aulani and got rays malsaladas;-)
Happy planning
Kerri

I have never been to Aulani but was married on Oahu. We are planning on going back with my two boys in two years.

favorite things

Oahu
1 - Pearl Harbor
2 - Hanauma Bay (private driver that provided snorkle gear)
3 - Polynesian Cultural Center

Big Island
1 - Volcano National Park + Private trip to lava fields
2 - Mauna Kea - Sunset with star gazing
3 - Day trip - Hawi Wind Farm, Lunch in Waimea, Waipio Lookout Hike, Blacksand beach on south shores

I was going to book the north shore excursion through Disney, but wound up booking a private tour with Oahu private tours. This was a must do for us and we did not rent a car.
CM told me if it was a must do I might ant to do private. They will cancel tour if not 10 people.
I was very happy with my choice and would use them again. Plus was cheaper than Aulani and got rays malsaladas;-)
Happy planning
Kerri

This is a great suggestion.

I know many of the tour operators will pick up at Aulani. I have never done this myself, we prefer to self tour but I always see Roberts Hawaii everywhere
https://www.robertshawaii.com/oahu/

I would think it is going to be hard to organize your whole group by yourself and also enjoy the time whereas if you use a tour (Private or Disney) you too will be able to enjoy it.

Happy planning
Kerri
This is a great idea. When we were in Aulani last year we had a car as well (and will have one this time) and drove to the North Shore but it was raining pretty good so we really did not get to experience it otherwise. I lived in HI briefly but that was long ago before kids so trying to remember other things they may like. Thanks!

Diamond head is OK but not amazing. It is a long climb but isn't that tough if you are in shape. Early morning is best. I would suggest instead the hike to Manoa Falls. It's much harder but is scenic through the jungle and is better to see the falls when you get to the end than seeing a bunch of hotels from Diamond head. Kualoa Ranch is great. We did horseback ride, movie sites tour and catamaran to China man's hat. It was a great day. Even the drive is great in a rental car. North shore is also great. Matsumoto shaved ice and Giovannis shrimp truck seem to be touristy things. Plus beaches. We booked surf lessons with Blue Rush which was kinda a typical surfer guy who takes you out. I think his name was Matt. It was really good too. We did Hanauma Bay which was good also. I loved pearl harbour but the uss Arizona wasn't the highlight. The highlights for me were uss Missouri and uss bowfin tours which do cost money. The bowfin is an audio tour. The Missouri be sure to find a tour guide just as you get on the ship and ask them for a tour. It's way better that way

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter