Anyone else get burned by JetBlue's route cuts?

Is the Atlanta to Orlando market one they cancel often? I am looking at flights with them and Delta in the 6-8 week period from now and the prices are generally the same, except with seat assingments and bag fees. And that really puts SW in a much better place with pricing.

I think the OP used credits to pay. Refund is generally made back to original form of payment.
And it's a major problem to get credits back after an airline cancels on you if they don't also change the credits' expiration date, and if they've permanently cut your city out of most of their routes.

I'm not a big fan of government intervention in issues like this, but I think the whole practice of changing flights is an area where some regulation has become necessary. Airlines are taking advantage of loose regulation to cheat their customers.

Consumers get hurt in many ways by changes in contracted-for flights, and I'll list a few:
  • The obvious problem OP has where they booked and paid for a flight in good faith, and the carrier then reneged. They took OP's money, and then stopped flying to MCO.
    • The carrier offered a credit, but they don't fly anywhere OP wants to go. So the credit is totally worthless, and the carrier keeps their money without providing anything at all in return.
  • The non-stop flight bait and switch I mentioned above. We've had numerous complaints here where people were switched from a non-stop that was to arrive in the early morning at MCO to a connecting flight arriving in the evening. That customer missed a whole day of their vacation in order for the airline to make more money.
  • In both cases above, the customer could get other flights on other airlines that would meet their needs, but which might cost more.
My solution -- if an airline cancels a flight, changes flights without the customer's approval, etc, here's what they must do to make the customer whole:
  • Offer the customer a CHOICE between
    • A similar flight on a competitive airline that would provide similar convenience to what the customer booked in good faith, OR
    • A full cash refund, OR
    • A re-arranged flight schedule that would be satisfactory for the customer, OR
    • A full dollar-value credit for a future flight on the original airline.
  • Customer's choice -- no games.

With JetBlue and American being partner airlines, this actually would be a good way of handling that situation.

Just got burned with AA for an unexpected cancellation with no alternative options :(.

Yup....My brother had a business flight cancelled by American. I don't know what is going on.
Maybe there is a staffing shortage??

Yup....My brother had a business flight cancelled by American. I don't know what is going on.
Maybe there is a staffing shortage??
I'm sorry to hear. Frustrating!
I wonder? A friend of mine got stranded at a connecting airport by AA and pretty much left them hanging. They had to find a car and drive 8 hours.

Ours was a DC to MCO and I noticed the same turnaround MCO to DC was also cancelled. I thought maybe mechanical but maybe staffing too?

Just noticed in fall they are cutting red eye to Orlando. This is so annoying. Our favorite flight
because we didnt have to deal with horrendous Southern Calif traffic going to airport.

At this point I'm thinking about just burning through my points and closing card. After all the routes
are the reason I signed up for the card.

At this point I'm thinking about just burning through my points and closing card. After all the routes
That's what I did with my American Airlines card. I still have the card because I have to use it occasionally to keep my miles, but it is no longer our family's primary credit card. We switched to a Costco card that gives us $800 - $1,000 cash back per year.

My decision was not due to route changes, but a huge devaluation of the miles. Flights which used to be 25,000 miles round trip are now 50-60,000 miles one-way. The miles are virtually worthless now.

We would have burned up almost all of the miles on an Alaska bucket-list trip in 2020, but had to cancel due to covid. When we actually do burn the miles, I will cancel the credit card.

That's what I did with my American Airlines card. I still have the card because I have to use it occasionally to keep my miles, but it is no longer our family's primary credit card. We switched to a Costco card that gives us $800 - $1,000 cash back per year.

Agreed. You don't get good value making purchases on those airline cards. On the Alaska Visa I am lucky to get 1 cent per mile value when booking tickets with miles. I still pay the $75 per year for the card because of the companion fare and the free checked bags.

Just noticed in fall they are cutting red eye to Orlando. This is so annoying. Our favorite flight
because we didnt have to deal with horrendous Southern Calif traffic going to airport.

After our third flight in a row was significantly delayed (always the ONLY flight option offered) and we had already had to rebook the return flight with SW, we did the same. Card isn't canceled, but it's out of our wallets. Went as far as booking the JetBlue flight that I want for Oct 1st/50th weekend, but booked a back-up SW flight at a much less preferable time before the points went way up... I'll cancel the SW eventually, if JB doesn't leave me stranded, but I'm not missing the 50th because of JB!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter