• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone else who strongly dislikes 50s Primetime Cafe?

DNBois

DIS Veterans & CBR Lovers!!!
We keep hearing how much people love this restaurant and we just need to know if we are the only ones that didn't have a good meal there. When DH and I ate there in May of 2003 we had quite possibly the worse meals ever. I got the pot roast and he got the fried chicken - his chicken was so tough that he couldn't even chew it. My pot roast is actually indescribable - I took a few bites and it tasted ok but when I put my fork back down I noticed something very strange in the dish that I couldn't even explain as it may disgust most people reading it. Needless to say, I was not happy and the waiter even recognized the problem; when he looked down to tell me I had to finish my dinner or I would get no dessert, I gave him this look when he himself looked down at my plate. I am ashamed to say that we didn't complain because I just wanted to get out of there - is there anyone else who has had a similar experience or are we the only ones? Perhaps we should try it again but we are frightened, very frightened.

My wife gets the pot roast every visit and my youngest son gets the chicken most of the time and they have always had great meals.

I usually get the bbq chicken sandwich and it is more than I can eat, and I'm a big guy.

Everyone we know who has gone there has had good meals and really enjoyed it.

Maybe it was just you unlucky day. Try it again, and if you don't like it, I'll buy you a beer the next time I see you.

Yeppers! The ONLY one:hyper:
OK, there probably are some others but they are definitely not the majority. It is an absolute must for us every trip.

Maybe it's because that kind of cooking is a staple in our southern family...and grandma still has tables/chairs like that not to mention the TV's...but it could never compare to the fresh taste of veggies right out of the garden and fresh chicken....our service was probably the worst we've had (have been there 3 times in 15 years) and the food was average. I remember the food my kids had was hard and tasteless...that's probably the one restaurant I don't ever wish to go to again...3 strikes...too many others to try.

Tara

I agree. It used to be great but the last few times we went it was really bad. Even the service wasn't as good as in the past. We won't eat there any more. I really think it's over-rated. But that's just my opinion. I know there a people that really don't like my faves either. :)

We've eaten there three times now. First time was really wonderful. Second time was mediocre at best...food was just 'okay' and the service was not good. Third time, in August, it was better. Food was much better than the second time and the service was better. We had Cousin Chris the first time and I don't think anyone will measure up to him but our 'Cousin' in August was pretty good. The food was much better but dh thought that was because he had had steak the second visit and it wasn't a good piece of meat and he had meatloaf in August and he loves meatloaf anywhere!!

Would we go again? Sure, but since we've been there three times now and there are so many other spots to try, we probably won't for awhile. Mayb Brown Derby should be the next spot...

we have only eatten there once. never again. all four of our meals were very dry and not hot. and the waiter wasnt more than just a waiter. and when she eaid we couldnt have desert if we didnt finsh our meal DH just said check please

My DH and I also had a horrible meal there. He got the meatloaf and it was not remotely close to being anything like homemade, which is how they bill it. On the contrary, it looked so overprocessed and tasted so dry it could have come out of a can.

You are not alone!

we've had our best meal there early in the day

We went once before noon and everything was really fresh. Once later in the aft and food was average.

herc.

Hmmm....my meal wasn't that great, not terribel, but not too tasty. I thought that was just part of the kitch ;) My mom is a pretty bad cook so it seemed like home cooking to me :rotfl:

No actually, my mom makes a better pot roast, but we did get a kick out of the atmosphere. We're going to give it a try one more time this trip - this time with my MIL who is a much better cook! :p

We didn't hate it, but we did decide that once was more than enough. That's the opinion of all 5 of us ranging in age from 5 to 40.

Beth

Thanks guys - at least I know we're not crazy now. If you could only know what I found in my pot roast, you would definitely not eat there again. Because of that, we will not be trying it again but thanks for confirming that we are not the only ones who didn't think the food was that great:)

O.K. Curiosity is killing me. I've got to know what you found in the pot roast. If you don't want to tell everyone, you can P.M. me.

DNBois, I must second kupperman...
I´m following this thread and the curiosity is also killing me :o
If you don´t want to share here, and it don´t bother you PM me :D

We're another family that don't hate it, but probably won't do it again. We did it and to me the food was just bland. It's OK but there are other places that I'd rather spend my money on.

I loved my friend chicken when I ate there. I forgot what DH had, but they were both yummy. I would have complained about the food and talked to a manager.

Not one of our favorites either. We had to wait about an hour for a table despite having a PS. We had very little interaction with our waitress, and I found the prices too expensive, even for Disney. I had read on these boards about how big the portions are. My husband ordered the fried chicken and I had the meatloaf. Between the two of us there was barely enough food to share with our 2 year old. Our 7 year old ordered two kid's meals. It ended up costing us $13 just for him for pasta! The food was good, but certainly not good enough to justify either the wait or the cost. In fact, it was the most expensive meal we had all week, even more than the character dinners, and we were there for lunch.

I have eaten there twice and loved it both times! I am planning on eating there again in December, but this thread is scaring me - or should I say the curiosity is scaring me!!! I would also like to know what was in that pot roast!

I'm also sorry you had such a bad experience. I always look forward to dining at 50s.

Kim

::yes::

I didn't care for 50s either. The food didn't taste so good. Even my girls wouldn't finish their meals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter