Anyone ever inquire about access to a piano at BWV? *Updated with info from MS !

DVCindy

Mouseketeer
Hi -

This probably sounds like an odd question ... but I was wondering if anyone has ever inquired about having access to a piano for practicing while staying at BWV. DD is preparing for a piano competition and we will be vacationing for 2 weeks ... 2 weeks is a really, really long time to be away from a piano and not practicing when you're preparing for something like that.

Anybody know ? Thanks in advance - Cindy ;)

UPDATE : For anyone that might be interested .....

I just called and spoke with Member Services. They referred me to Guest Services at the Boardwalk. I spoke with them and they told me they do have a piano at the Contemporary in the Conference Center that they will allow guests to play if it is not being used for an event. Guest Services or the Concierge at the Boardwalk will call over to the Contemporary and check on availability for us while when we arrive. Everyone was very helpful ... the lady at Guest Serivices who helped me actually plays the piano and has used the piano at the Contemporary herself ! :sunny:

Cindy

The bottom line is that disney policy does not allow guests to play on pianos as the pianos in the resorts are all in public areas. Dd was allowed to practice on pianos on the Magic (piano is located in nightclubs, she was allowed to play when club was technically closed.)

They basically don't want kids banging on instruments, etc. I know, your child and mine would not be in that group, but policies are policies. Mine did a Bach gavotte at the last talent night on the ship....she's currently preparing a Beethovan sonata for a competition...as well as her standard repertoire. But...rules are rules.

We purchased a used keyboard--standard sized weighted keys. I used to travel a fair amount for work, and this way, she could have an instrument with her. When we drive to WDW, I put it in the car and it goes with us!

Just wanted to say it doesn't sound odd to me at all. DS is a music major, brought his trumpet to BWV and practiced every day. But I admit, a piano would be real hard to get in the luggage. I do know the pianist at GF in the lobby is very nice and he might have some information on someone who might be able to help. Best of luck to your DD!

Okay.. I would suggest calling a local music store and renting an electronic keyboard with weighted keys.. (yamaha and kurzweil make great ones) for the time you will be there... Perhaps even Wegoshop will have an idea.. otherwise.. Google your way and I am sure a music shop will appear. Much cheaper than having Disney provide it.. and a lot easier than lugging your own.

kathy

Thanks for the replies and ideas...

Unfortunately, since we are flying, taking our keyboard is not an option. We do take it with us whenever we travel and do drive. Maybe I will give a call to a few music stores in the area as you suggested , Valentine.

Simba's Mom - Thanks for the good wishes for DD ! She wants to go hear the pianist at the GFloridian again this trip ... so we will definately see what ideas he might have.

I would love it if we could just pop into Jellyrolls before they open up a few times and have her jump on their piano for a bit. They are owned by Disney, right ? Anybody know ? Maybe, if they are independently run, they might consider helping us out.

kcashner - We were able to arrange practice time for DD on the cruise we took this spring on RCCL. They were wonderful and so accomodationg. There were actually 3 other children preparing for auditions/recitals and it turned into alot fun for them. All the families got to hear all the kids play and they even attracted a small audience at times !

DVCconvert - Just out of curiosity, do you know how I would go about contacting Disney Event Productions ?

Thanks - Cindy :flower:

Maistre Gracey said:
Okay, I just gotta know.... How did this go over with the neighbors? :earseek:

MG

Yeah. With a keyboard, the player could always use headphones, and the neighbors would hear nothing. There's no getting around the noise of a trumpet, though.

DVCindy said:
Hi -

UPDATE : For anyone that might be interested .....

I just called and spoke with Member Services. They referred me to Guest Services at the Boardwalk. I spoke with them and they told me they do have a piano at the Contemporary in the Conference Center that they will allow guests to play if it is not being used for an event. Guest Services or the Concierge at the Boardwalk will call over to the Contemporary and check on availability for us while when we arrive. Everyone was very helpful ... the lady at Guest Serivices who helped me actually plays the piano and has used the piano at the Contemporary herself ! :sunny:

Cindy

That's just cool:)

Wasn't there someone asking a while ago about where to practice his bagpipes? Or am I just dreaming about a trip through the Highlands..??;)

I'm glad your son was able to practice, Simba'sMom..I'd imagine that with the muffler thing - what is that called?- it wouldn't be too bad at all..

:sunny:

I don't know if this applies, but I live outside of Boston and I know when people visit Cape Cod, there are businesses that will rent you almost everything for your stay. Cribs, high chairs, other comforts of home, etc. I'm not saying they'd roll a piano into your villa, but maybe you could find a rental place in Orlando that would rent you the kind of keyboard you'd need. Just a thought.

Maistre Gracey said:
Okay, I just gotta know.... How did this go over with the neighbors? :earseek:

MG

I'm pretty sure he used a mute or something so it wasn't at full volume. Sometimes he just does exercises with the mouthpiece or something, too. So he wasn't blaring for everyone to hear! Hopefully, he didn't disturb the neighbors.

I actually happened upon this piano one day on my way back to my room from a conference I was there for. A young man was seated at it with what I would assume was his girlfriend and he was playing it and singing to her.

It was very charming. If you go in the CR lobby and go all the way through towards the back entrance there is an escalator there. Go up it and when you get off you'll be in a very deserted feeling conference place. Off the escalator take an immediate right then an immediate left towards the elevators. If you stand directly in front of the elevators you will see an alcove to the left.

Walk towards the alcove and look around the side and you will see the piano. It is very much out of the way and I wouldn't have even known it was there if he hadn't been playing. I had been that way for 3 days and hadn't even noticed the alcove.

Good luck and I hope she does well.

gamomof2 - Thanks so much for the detailed info on the location of the piano ! We are not too familiar with the Contemporary, so your directions will definately help us out. Sure sounds like it is tucked away in a secluded area. Cute story, too ! :love:

DD is excited to hear I found a piano for her. I think we'll combine some practice time with some pool-hopping / resort shopping / dining at the resorts on the monorail line while we take some time off from the parks.

Cindy :flower:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter