Anyone following any covid protocols on cruises?

On the recent eastern the only place we had to wear a mask was Tortola in the shops. Maybe 10% of the passengers wore masks. About the same on the flights to and from.

I think I'm glad that masking has become accepted. I'll probably always do it, during flu season and when covid surges, in movie theaters and in other spaces where you are sitting close to others. One thing I am curious about: is the Rainforest Room in the Senses Spa on the cruise ships still by reservation only or has that gone back to pre-covid? I'd love to do it on a cruise I'm considering, but not sure it would be safe if there is a surge.
Back to normal with the week long passes and sometimes day passes if not at capacity. No private use at this time

I don’t believe this is the case anymore.
We were on the Hawaii to Vancouver Cruise on May 6. Masks were required in the terminal before boarding. Our ship was probably only half full, and people were spacing out in the theater. In my experience, tables were not close together in the main dining rooms, and they seemed to have spaced out assigned tables as well, so we were nowhere near other diners. If I were going to guess, maybe 5% of people were wearing masks, even indoors.

Awe! I didn't mask up once on my cruise (may 21-28) and I tested positive after the cruise. Kicking myself for not masking up. Hope you're feeling better!

sorry to hear that. i know how you feel after the same thing happened to me after my April cruise. Just didn’t expect it. Because I found out how vulnerable I was, we have canceled my B2B in august/September. Only going on September now. We just felt like the stress of testing positive after the first 7 night was too much to deal with. Our family joins us on the second cruise and it would be terrible if we couldn’t get on that cruise. Though we are now booking the 8 night November cruise instead of the august cruise.

On the recent eastern the only place we had to wear a mask was Tortola in the shops. Maybe 10% of the passengers wore masks. About the same on the flights to and from.
The guests not wearing masks in other countries angered me as I witnessed this on my last cruise as well. I thought it was so disrespectful.

I was thankful to see people being respectful of the mask mandate on our flight (Air Canada). Too little too late, though.

Last edited:
Awe! I didn't mask up once on my cruise (may 21-28) and I tested positive after the cruise. Kicking myself for not masking up. Hope you're feeling better!
For what it’s worth: My family and I were almost the only family masking up on our last cruise … since others were not wearing masks, we ended up catching covid anyway.

Being masked helps but it’s so much more effective when everyone is masking up. Not saying that I am hoping for masks to be required on cruiseships again but …

For what it’s worth: My family and I were almost the only family masking up on our last cruise … since others were not wearing masks, we ended up catching covid anyway.

Being masked helps but it’s so much more effective when everyone is masking up. Not saying that I am hoping for masks to be required on cruiseships again but …

Just off our cruise on Sunday and outside of cabin the masks went on for us.

Just wanted to provide another datapoint. For our May cruise and WDW stay, the only time we masked up was boarding the flights to get to Orlando, since you potentially have a large group of people passing by you. This was more of a precaution because of testing at the port. Of course, our anti-social behavior kept us from interacting with people beforehand. The only place we felt was a high risk of infection, was when we went to the Character Warehouse after the cruise. It was crowded and air circulation felt very poor. We didn’t mask for the return flights.

We tested negative once back home and still feel fine after being back for a week. Oh, my wife did wake up with a sore throat while on the trip, but tested negative. I figure it was because of the A/C, which we don’t normally live with. So, it is possible to live a relatively normal life, which includes eating in restaurants, shopping in crowded venues and taking crowded Disney transportation.

The guests not wearing masks in other countries angered me as I witnessed this on my last cruise as well. I thought it was so disrespectful.

I was thankful to see people being respectful of the mask mandate on our flight (Air Canada). Too little too late, though.
Well there were not people disobeying/being disrespectful in Tortola, they just chose not to enter the shops, so seemed to be considerably less people shopping.

Not to derail, but maybe add clarification for comfort/data points as well. Hope it is not out of line.

We have not worn masks in well over a year except for a few occasions when required at certain venues. Went to Disney Springs prior to the cruise, and few if anyone had a mask there. Was a little concerned about the pre boarding testing, but we tested before we left and did nothing out of the ordinary. The airplanes have better circulation than 95% of public places outside of a hospital, so that did not worry us any, and then the cruise we played and talked to anyone around us. Our 4 year old did have to wear a mask in the kids club, and did fine with it, and that was the rule so we followed it. Multiple tests after being back and still nothing. I know everyone's comfort level is different and everyone can get it differently, but I was less concerned on the cruise ship than I am at my local grocery store, which is little to none.

So my family and I will be on the Wish on Aug 22-26 for a four night we planned to go to parks three days before the cruise. I am thinking about moving the park visit after the cruise because I don't want to risk catching rona at the park and us missing the cruise. On the cruise I will still wear my masks inside but if at the parks in August it's going to be super hot wear I can't fathom wearing a mask outdoors.

Well there were not people disobeying/being disrespectful in Tortola, they just chose not to enter the shops, so seemed to be considerably less people shopping.

Not to derail, but maybe add clarification for comfort/data points as well. Hope it is not out of line.

We have not worn masks in well over a year except for a few occasions when required at certain venues. Went to Disney Springs prior to the cruise, and few if anyone had a mask there. Was a little concerned about the pre boarding testing, but we tested before we left and did nothing out of the ordinary. The airplanes have better circulation than 95% of public places outside of a hospital, so that did not worry us any, and then the cruise we played and talked to anyone around us. Our 4 year old did have to wear a mask in the kids club, and did fine with it, and that was the rule so we followed it. Multiple tests after being back and still nothing. I know everyone's comfort level is different and everyone can get it differently, but I was less concerned on the cruise ship than I am at my local grocery store, which is little to none.
Oh, in my case, they were giving no flying duck… Even with big signs at the doors, they would enter the shops without masks and employees over there were simply overwhelmed and there was nothing they could do about it.

My friends and I were on the Dream May 23rd - 27th and two of us tested positive for covid shortly after. A shame as it made the second week of the trip a bit unpleasant as I had a strong cough and blocked nose for a good few days (of course I know that we could just as easily caught a cold or infection on any pre-pandemic trip). We noticed a handful of people that had a hacking cough at various times throughout the cruise and we tried to stay away as best we could but unfortunately it still got to us. We had been to California for a couple weeks over Christmas and were surrounded by so many people and noone caught it which made us so confident for this cruise but it's just luck of the draw.

My friends and I were on the Dream May 23rd - 27th and two of us tested positive for covid shortly after. A shame as it made the second week of the trip a bit unpleasant as I had a strong cough and blocked nose for a good few days (of course I know that we could just as easily caught a cold or infection on any pre-pandemic trip). We noticed a handful of people that had a hacking cough at various times throughout the cruise and we tried to stay away as best we could but unfortunately it still got to us. We had been to California for a couple weeks over Christmas and were surrounded by so many people and noone caught it which made us so confident for this cruise but it's just luck of the draw
Did you test positive on the ship or did you test when you got home. Were any passengers
still wearing masks?

Did you test positive on the ship or did you test when you got home. Were any passengers
still wearing masks?
We didn't have any symptoms until 2-3 days after the cruise so only tested 3 days after we disembarked. We all went straight to a private villa for a few days after the cruise and interacted with noone so we know we definitely caught it from the Drean (we didn't even disembark for Nassau so were only surrounded by cruise passengers the entire trip).

The ship had around 2600 passengers I believe and I think we only probably saw about 10-20 people wearing masks the entire trip so I think since the indoor mandate was removed recently the vast majority of people have no intention of masking up again if possible (whether we all agree or disagree with that choice I really won't get in to on here!). Staff are still currently required to wear masks which helps prevent them from catching anything which in my opinion is probably the best course of action at the moment considering a couple of the cast members were telling us they are still recruiting and short-staffed at the moment so the last thing DCL want is to have multiple staff off ill for a few days.

As everyone has to be vaxxed and test right before the cruise, it's really one of the last experiences in the world where covid is most likely at an all time low and chance of catching it relatively slim. However I think what annoyed us the most was the amount of people sitting in the theaters or doing quizzes etc that were coughing and coughing but with no mask on where it was pretty obvious it was most likely going to be covid. I completely accept it's not compulsory to mask-up when ill and we wouldn't have made this same observation pre-covid if someone was sneezing a few times sitting next to you in the theater so I guess people like me need to just deal with it and accept that there's always a chance of catching it in public settings. If i was to bring an elderly relative or at-risk friend then I would mask up and sanitize for that trip - But I accept that's just my opinion.

Actually, mask-wearing is not to protect the wearer. It's to protect others from whatever germs the wearer might spread.

Yes, the mask-wearer gets SOME protection, but that's not the primary reason for masking
Apologies you're absolutely right and I should have also clarified that as I know this is still a very common misunderstanding. I think even though it helps them not transmit as easily, the minor protection they get is also possibly seen as a benefit to try and keep them healthy and working but who knows.

Actually, mask-wearing is not to protect the wearer. It's to protect others from whatever germs the wearer might spread.

Yes, the mask-wearer gets SOME protection, but that's not the primary reason for masking
The mask absolutely protects the wearer. And if you're wearing an N95 or something similar, then the mask actually offers the wearer quite a lot of protection.

Oh, in my case, they were giving no flying duck… Even with big signs at the doors, they would enter the shops without masks and employees over there were simply overwhelmed and there was nothing they could do about it.
This is a pet peeve if a place asks for Masks you should I say. But I'm just someone who follows rules
The mask absolutely protects the wearer. And if you're wearing an N95 or something similar, then the mask actually offers the wearer quite a lot of protection.
I wear KN95. I feel more protection even if people around me aren't wearing them

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter