Anyone Game? 2 Castles and a Road Trip TR! Last Day and TR Wrap Up! #2796; 10/01

Oh you missed a treat with the Hulk ride! I did it many moons ago before the arthritis got to bad. Glad I experienced it. I love the Spidy ride too :-) when he jumps on the car! Oh my re all the wet rides! Love The Cat in the hat!

Looks like a fun day!

Oh you missed a treat with the Hulk ride! I did it many moons ago before the arthritis got to bad. Glad I experienced it. I love the Spidy ride too :-) when he jumps on the car! Oh my re all the wet rides! Love The Cat in the hat!

Looks like a fun day!

I can do all sorts of rides that pull you in all sorts of directions. The one that I can't quite manage is the one where I can see it going upside down. It's a totally mental thing.. :eek:

Frozen is the BEST

Those of you that have been to Islands of Adventure may be wondering why I took such a circuitous route round. Afterall, Jurassic Park is right across that bridge....

....where if cross the bridge and look up, you'll see this view.

I had always planned on heading back to WWoHP during the warm part of the day. There was one simple reason why.

Frozen truly is the BEST!

We had indulged in the soda version of Butterbeer whilst in the Three Broomsticks earlier in the morning (check out the lunch queue!!).

I have always preferred the frozen version of Butterbeer. I'm glad to report that DS feels exactly the same way!

I want one now!

(Continued in Next Post)

(Continued from Previous Post)

Best Theme Park Restaurant (Mythos)

From 2003 - 2008, this restaurant had been voted as the Best Theme Park restaurant in the world by the Theme Park Insider.

I was gobsmacked to find that there wasn't much of a queue when we stopped here to gawk at the menu.

It was like all the pieces just fell together for us today.

I think we waited all of 5 minutes before we were shown to our table.

It looks incredible inside, doesn't it?

I really liked the ambience in here. The carvings and decorations were stunning.

We were seated at a table towards the back and away from the windows. With not a lot to look at....Up....was the direction we looked in.

Our waiter was efficient but impersonal. He did bring the appropriate accouterments to our table.

We were all starving by this stage so we all dived in. The bread was very tasty. Dense and rich and soft.

DS had the pasta of the day. I know he was dubious about the tomato cream sauce at first but he still ordered it. Delicious!

DH and I ordered the Mediterranean flatbread to share.

I think the chef might have left it in the pizza oven a little too long.

It was lovely on one side of the flatbread. But it was a bit too crispy on the other side. No prizes for guessing which side had been closer to the flames!

DH and I also shared this salad. The dressing was divine.

Based on the pasta, the salad dressing and the side of the flatbread that was properly cooked, I can see why Mythos is rated as one of the best theme park restaurants in the world.

But next time, I would be much more careful about what I order.

(Continued in Next Post)

DS keeps True to Orlando form

True to Orlando form, DS wanted to head back to the hotel room after lunch.
True to Orlando form, DH was more than happy to take him back.
True to Orlando form, I was more than happy to wave them goodbye.

I guess they stopped by a photographer somewhere near the front of the park on the way out.

I guess they caught a water taxi back to the hotel.

I guess I had a cunning plan in mind.....

(Continued in Next Post)

A Walk-through the Castle

Hogwarts Castle at Islands of Adventure is home to one of my favourite dark rides....the Forbidden Journey. But every time I've ridden the ride, I rushed my way through the castle. Afterall, when you're in the ride queue with a ton of people ahead of you and a ton of people behind you, it's unlikely that you're going to be doing anything other than keep going with the crowd. Besides, if you are riding this ride, you'll be asked to stow all bags and large cameras away.

For this trip, I was determined to take some time to see the castle. In fact, for the Universal portion of my trip, it was probably in the top 5 of must-do's.

I had been more than happy to wave the boys off because it was going to be an opportunity for me to do the 'tour only' option for the castle. I don't know how many of you are aware of this option. You can request to walk through the castle and I understand that they will only let you do so if the castle isn't too busy.

The trick is to find a cast member that will let you into the tour only line. I found that if you ask any near where the lockers are, they will waive you through the regular tour line. Instead, I headed out of the locker area and found someone else that knew exactly what I was asking for. By way of comparison, DH did come back to the park after dropping DS off at the room. I was still inside the castle at that stage and told him to come and take this tour. He wasn't so lucky. The cast member he spoke to told him to get in the normal line and let people walk around him. As he didn't know better, that's what he did.

If you decide to take this line, be aware that this line does not go outside at all. You won't see the greenhouse area at all. And there are stairs to navigate as well.

It's also very dark inside the castle; so if you are planning on taking pictures, you'll need one capable of dealing with low light. I did see other people taking pictures with a flash in this room. I don't know if it was forbidden or not so you might want to check before you do so.

Aside from being able to see the castle queue area at your leisure, there is one additional room that you'll see in this line that you won't see in the regular line. This room is full of portraits.

Wonderful Portraits that talk!

I spent at least 10 minutes in this room trying to listen to all the conversation.

At this point, I think you head back into the regular queue inside the castle. I really love the theming in here.

Dumbledore's Office.

The man himself!

With that Elder Wand.

The details are so true to life and exquisite in here.

We head into the Defence of the Dark Arts room next.....where a familiar trio await. On this tour only queue, you'll find yourself right at the back of the room and it's hard to see the details up the front of the room. Still....you can stay here for as long as you like and not be bothered by the riders.

They were encouraging us to not stay for Professor Binn's lecture.....instead let's go play quidditch instead.

We're heading through the Gryffindor Common Room....and that means the Fat Lady!

It's an amazing talking portrait.

Everyone else was just walking on by.

I didn't grab any pictures inside the common room and I'm really kicking myself now. My excuse is that I had the 50 mm lens and everything just was too close.

There is one final detail to admire....the Sorting Hat.

I spent a bit of time listening to him but it didn't take me long to figure out he was talking about ride safety.

After this point, you head out instead of heading in towards the ride. I was pretty pleased to have taken the time to go through the castle. It was nice to look at the details at leisure....but I do wish I could have done it AND gone on the ride as well.

(Continued in Next Post)

Last Attraction in IoA

By this stage, DH was somewhere inside the castle and I figured I had a little time up my sleeve. I thought I might have enough time to head in here. The Cast Member assured me that there was a show starting very soon (hah!) and that my Express Pass would get me to the top of the queue.

He got one thing right. I was pretty much the 5th person in the Express Pass queue but the show did not start for another 10 minutes.

Poseidon's Fury is one of those live interactive shows that Universal seem to thrive on. You'll get taken through a variety of rooms with live actors up the front and experience a number of special effects. There are a heap of laser lights, fire and water effects in here.

I had ventured in because I was lured by the cast member and also because I had enjoyed the Terminator experience a lot. If you have time, then head in. I won't be doing a return trip on this one.

(Continued in Next Post)

Catching up with our Favourites at Universal

DH was waiting for me when I eventually emerged from the Underworld. We had a quick chat and decided that we had a number of favourites that the adults being kids would love to hit. All of them were at Universal Studios and so we bid a farewell to Islands of Adventure.

Express Pass got us in and out of the Transformer's Ride quickly. And then DH wanted to catch up with more lycra. This time, we knew exactly where to wait.

Anyone want to guess which superhero DH wanted to meet?

He's no fool, my DH. Naturally it was going to be Storm and Rogue.

I sure hope he picks the right superwoman to take home!

My turn to pick a hands-on experience with lycra. He might not be Hugh Jackman but at least I can claim that I got my hands around Wolverine.

Yeah. The claw's on the other hand now, ain't it?

The Spiderman ride was next on the list for us. It's a hard pick between the Spiderman ride and the Transformer's ride. But the one thing was obvious. Both rides are based on the same 3D vehicle-mounted motion platforms ride technology and that kind of ride technology was a winner for both DH and I. I would most definitely highly recommend both rides!

There was another reason why DH wanted to head back to this part of the park. When we were here earlier doing our Spiderman Meet and Greet, he saw something when we were claiming our pictures. We were advised to come back when Spiderman was not in the building. On our return, we had to wait 5 minutes for Spidey to clear the building; but we did tick this off DH's list.

The adults being kids had a couple of things to complete.

We didn't get round to this ride yesterday so it was high on our list for today. You will have to stow all bags on this ride in the lockers to the right of the picture.

I guess if you like TSM and Buzz Lightyear, this is the ride for you. The vehicles are automatically controlled and you will be spun round and moved from side to side as you progress through the experience.

Ride it we did! Whilst we enjoyed it, I do prefer the Toy Story versions better.

We had time to sneak one more in. It was more about proximity than anything else that made us hit the Simpsons Ride again. I could only salivate at that construction site. I really wish I were there this year.

By this stage, our time at Universal and Orlando was drawing to an end. We needed to head back to the resort and check up on DS; and figure out dinner plans before packing to start the trip home.

princess::upsidedow

You guys really pack it in! I definitely want to do the walk through. When I rode the ride I was letting others go ahead of me so I could enjoy the queue, but since it was during early entry, as it got closer to the end of the queue the line picked up and when I finally wanted to start moving back into the queue I had a hard time getting back in. No one would let me back in line!

I liked the Poseidon attraction, but Fran's scooter started acting up during it. I want to do the Spiderman ride again and MiB. Probably our next trip without friends well add on two nights at Universal. I think its time to go back.

More amazing pictures from Universal Orlando during your trip. That is nice that you were able to get the Butterbeer.

I always passed by Mythos restaurant when going to the WWoHP but never think about going inside and try the food. The restaurant looks very interesting inside and the food looks nice. I can understand why it was one of the best theme park restaurants for so many years.

Very nice photos while walking in Hogwarts Castle when riding Forbidden Journey. I never took my DSLR on the ride since they wouldn't allow any bags or objects on the ride.

The photos with the Marvel characters are nice.

The tour of the castle sounds great. Looks like to get the whole experience, you have to do it twice; once doing the dedicated tour route to get the portrait room and then the normal line to get the green houses and just use the chicken exit. The MIB ride looks like something I would enjoy. You got lots done again. What a shame that part of the flat bread was overdone.

Corinna

You got some great pictures of the castle. The theming is amazing! Glad to see a real review of Mythos. The food did look delicious...I didn't try it just because I wasn't sure I could believe its claims of being the best theme park restaurant!

Jill in CO

Another fabulous update! Pray tell, what does butterbeer taste like?

That restaurant looked awesome, that's definitely going on the list. Sorry about the overdone pizza.

Oh me oh my! Thank you so much for the pictures inside Hogwarts! :love:

All caught up :wave2:

What an amazing report :thumbsup2 I didn't really know a thing about Universal, like I told you we haven't been there since the "kids" were little and the oldest will be 40 in less than a month :faint:

Now I feel like I had a guided tour. :thumbsup2 Not sure when/if we'll ever get there, because I really can't see going there without staying on site and utilizing the perks of that, but at least it is somewhere on my radar now.

Another productive day! Loved the castle pics.

Thanks. It certainly looks productive, doesn't it? ;)

You guys really pack it in! I definitely want to do the walk through. When I rode the ride I was letting others go ahead of me so I could enjoy the queue, but since it was during early entry, as it got closer to the end of the queue the line picked up and when I finally wanted to start moving back into the queue I had a hard time getting back in. No one would let me back in line!

I liked the Poseidon attraction, but Fran's scooter started acting up during it. I want to do the Spiderman ride again and MiB. Probably our next trip without friends well add on two nights at Universal. I think its time to go back.

With the Universal part, I kinda felt underprepared compared to Disney. No Fastpass+, no touring plan in mind, not a lot of must-do's (aside from WWoHP and the wet rides), no ADRs. :rotfl:

We just meandered accordingly and I'm glad that we covered a few attractions.

It will be Diagon Alley that will pull me back to Orlando ahead of anything else.

More amazing pictures from Universal Orlando during your trip. That is nice that you were able to get the Butterbeer.

I always passed by Mythos restaurant when going to the WWoHP but never think about going inside and try the food. The restaurant looks very interesting inside and the food looks nice. I can understand why it was one of the best theme park restaurants for so many years.

Very nice photos while walking in Hogwarts Castle when riding Forbidden Journey. I never took my DSLR on the ride since they wouldn't allow any bags or objects on the ride.

The photos with the Marvel characters are nice.

Thanks Bret. I really love that frozen Butterbeer.

For a restaurant that's highly rated, I was surprised that we managed to get into Mythos walk-in. I guess we must have gotten there after the noon-day rush.

The tour of the castle sounds great. Looks like to get the whole experience, you have to do it twice; once doing the dedicated tour route to get the portrait room and then the normal line to get the green houses and just use the chicken exit. The MIB ride looks like something I would enjoy. You got lots done again. What a shame that part of the flat bread was overdone.

Corinna

You're absolutely right with this one. If you are a Potterhead, then twice would be the minimum.

MIB was fun. DH and I do enjoy shooting games and this one was straight out of the MiB movie. Lots of scary looking aliens with targets on them.

You got some great pictures of the castle. The theming is amazing! Glad to see a real review of Mythos. The food did look delicious...I didn't try it just because I wasn't sure I could believe its claims of being the best theme park restaurant!

Jill in CO

If Mythos was not in a theme park, it would rate just above average for me. Just as well it doesn't have to compete with real-world restaurants.

Another fabulous update! Pray tell, what does butterbeer taste like?

That restaurant looked awesome, that's definitely going on the list. Sorry about the overdone pizza.

Oh me oh my! Thank you so much for the pictures inside Hogwarts! :love:

Butterbeer is effectively creamy soda. They do add that butterscotch froth on top of the creamy soda which adds richness to it. For my tastes, its a little on the sweet side; but not by much.

Glad you liked the pictures.

All caught up :wave2:

What an amazing report :thumbsup2 I didn't really know a thing about Universal, like I told you we haven't been there since the "kids" were little and the oldest will be 40 in less than a month :faint:

Now I feel like I had a guided tour. :thumbsup2 Not sure when/if we'll ever get there, because I really can't see going there without staying on site and utilizing the perks of that, but at least it is somewhere on my radar now.

Thanks Ruthie. I hope you make it to Universal at some stage. I think if you keep an eye out for the discounts or sign up to the Universal site, you might be surprised at the price of the rooms. I got an email with a 40% discount pin code but not for my dates.

So is it bad that I kept trying to find myself in your pictures? :rotfl: Surely we had to have run across each other somewhere!

You all got A LOT more done in one day than we did. As much as I love my friends, they really slowed down DH and I. We only managed to get in 1 meet and greet in Lycraland.

We got lucky at Hogwarts. There was a CM standing right by the lockers directing people towards the tour line. The Fat Lady portrait was by far my favorite.

DH would agree with you on the frozen Butterbeer. I much preferred the Pumpkin Juice. If you do Pinterest at all, they have recipes to make Butterbeer at home. You won't get the ambience along with it, unfortunately.

So is it bad that I kept trying to find myself in your pictures? :rotfl: Surely we had to have run across each other somewhere!

You all got A LOT more done in one day than we did. As much as I love my friends, they really slowed down DH and I. We only managed to get in 1 meet and greet in Lycraland.

We got lucky at Hogwarts. There was a CM standing right by the lockers directing people towards the tour line. The Fat Lady portrait was by far my favorite.

DH would agree with you on the frozen Butterbeer. I much preferred the Pumpkin Juice. If you do Pinterest at all, they have recipes to make Butterbeer at home. You won't get the ambience along with it, unfortunately.

We really should have locked in a 3D meet. I know we hinted at it when we were planning. :rotfl:

Sounds like you still had fun at UO despite being slowed down. It certainly does make you think about the go-go-go that Disney has become.

I really hope its quiet enough to do a tour only of the castle as well as the ride. Thanks for the tip about CMs-I may just try more than once if get a reject first time round. I have read Mythos now isn't too bad for queues if you avoid peak times. Since I am currently working on my photobook of Spain the inside is reminding me of Gaudi's Casa Batllo in some ways! Looks like a nice relaxing time at US with you and DH having fun together as well as in a trio. I am still confused why MIB require you to use a locker though-do you really move around that much?

I have notes on my must-sees by area to avoid backtracking to and fro but think most of our time will be dominated by HP though Transformers and Spiderman are triple starred! and Mummy and Simpsons single stars-DH will need Kwells before Mummy with the short backwards bit after his EE experience and we're both medicating for FJ! Apart from the Simpsons (would love a pic with Sideshow Bob!) we haven't really any M&G wishes as neither of us are into Marvel characters. Sad recounting of your trip is almost over!

I'm back! Did you miss me? :rotfl:

I was about 25 pages behind but I'm all caught up now. Way too much to comment on but I really enjoyed all of your photos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter