Anyone get panic attacks?

luv2sleep

DIS Veteran
Anyone here ever had panic attacks? If so, what helped you get over them? If they still go on how do you manage them?

Oooooh yes! ::yes::

The best thing to do is to get your mind off of what you're panicking about. I find that when left alone to just "think" my mind snow balls into panic over things that I should not be panicking about. I find things like, crafting, going outside and doing some gardening, Exercise (cardio is the best), or as cliche as it sounds putting on a disney movie that will make me smile REALLY helps! Redirection is key! :goodvibes

The other thing you can try and a technique called "grounding". Literally sit down and touch something "real" around you. Focus on that thing that is physically in your hands and remind yourself that whatever that "thing" is, is real and the things you're thinking about that are making you panic are just in your head and are not really happening right now.

I hope this helps! These techniques are easier said than done but they help me a lot! It's always good to also know that you're not alone. :hug:

Why Xanax? What about klonopin or the others? Is Xanax the fastest acting and better fir acute management?

Xanax also.

I know that many people say that they are habit forming, but I have had horrible panic attacks since I was 16. Lets just say add 30 years and I have only upped my dosage once and many times I can work with the attack and not have to take anything.

The best thing to work on is knowing you are not dying. Walking out the attack, have someone you trust to talk through the attack, or whatever works for you. It took me years to realistically react during an attack. Also, you should try to reduce stress and triggers like caffeine.

The hardest for me are the ones when I wake up in a full on attack. Middle of the night. I have finally learned to wake my husband even if I feel bad and he will talk me through them and a good old slow back rub comforts me.

I hope you find what works for you. Just know you are not alone.

Immediately an attack starts, try to breath deep and hold it for 7 or 8 seconds before breathing out.Continue doing this and the panicky feeling will subside, and you should feel a little better pretty quick.Good luck.

I had them for several years. Eventually a doctor suggested testing my vitamin B levels. It turned out they were VERY low and one symptom of this can be panic attacks. Once I started being treated for this the panic attacks quickly dwindled and them went away entirely (though I get them once in a while again now, many years later, but not often and much less severe than previously).

I have what I guess you could call "situational" panic attacks (elevators, planes, etc.) caused by claustrophobia. Not bad enough to medicate, but bad enough believe me. And, sometimes you just have to ride an elevator or a plane. What helps me is to immediately engage my mind with something else. Reading works best. I try to always have a book in my purse and, weird as it sounds, I frequently read on the elevator. Or, I take out my phone and do a game that requires my full attention, like Solitaire or a puzzle. Even doing multiplication tables in my mind is better than nothing. I know it's ridiculous, but that's why it's a phobia, I suppose.

Oh yes, I sure do.
They manifest themselves both mentally and physically. I hate the feeling. I have been taking 1/4 of a Xanax daily and that has helped me alot.
I think in my case it's a combination of stress and menopause (heart palpitations are one of the lovely effects of that).

I take Ativan(I believe it's a generic of Xanax)when I think I'm going to put myself in a situation I've had a panic attack before. I love flying, but since I had a panic attack mid-flight(in a middle seat, no less :eek:) I take one in car on way to airport and another just before boarding. Just knowing I have taken 'something' makes all the difference to me. Crowds or being in a small meeting room can also set me off, so I'll sometimes I'll take 1/2 of one beforehand. My life is so much less stressful just knowing I have something to take 'if' I need it.

I had them for several years. Eventually a doctor suggested testing my vitamin B levels. It turned out they were VERY low and one symptom of this can be panic attacks. Once I started being treated for this the panic attacks quickly dwindled and them went away entirely (though I get them once in a while again now, many years later, but not often and much less severe than previously).

I'm curious, how long did it take to correct the vitamin deficiency to the point where the panic attacks stopped? Was it a few weeks, several weeks, months?

I take Ativan(I believe it's a generic of Xanax)when I think I'm going to put myself in a situation I've had a panic attack before. I love flying, but since I had a panic attack mid-flight(in a middle seat, no less :eek:) I take one in car on way to airport and another just before boarding. Just knowing I have taken 'something' makes all the difference to me. Crowds or being in a small meeting room can also set me off, so I'll sometimes I'll take 1/2 of one beforehand. My life is so much less stressful just knowing I have something to take 'if' I need it.

I do this too. Sometimes I feel better just knowing that I'm carrying the Xanax with me and that calms me down alone! I usually take one before going into the parks because the crowds and some of like ride queues make me feel really claustrophobic. I also do a lot of cardio and take multivitamins. It's easier said than done to learn how to calm down on your own, and most of us are already in full blown panic mode to think clearly at that point of no return. Just ask your doctor for Xanax and keep it with you at all times :) good luck!

Ativan is the brand name of lorazepam. Xanax is the brand name of alprazolam. Both are in the same class of drug...both benzos. Very similar.

I take my Xanax before I fly (very fearful flyer). I also wake up in the middle of the night in a full blown panic attack (heart racing and pounding, shaking...very bad). I'm not thinking about anything and I wasn't dreaming. Just up from a sound sleep in full on attack. The Xanax is the only thing that stops it.

I've never had one before, but last week I was climbing a very, very narrow stone spiral staircase inside a castle tower (while on a tour on vacation) and just started to really get anxious about getting trapped. I couldn't see what was ahead of me and there were tons of folks behind me, so there was no turning back. The only thing to hang onto was a rope running up the middle of the spiral and at one point I literally reached the end of the rope and started crawling to keep my balance. I was sweating and couldn't catch my breath (not from exhaustion)... Finally I called to people ahead of me and asked them to tell me when they saw the top so I at least knew it was in sight. I've never felt like that before, but once I reached the top, it took me about 15 minutes to regain full composure and I felt off the rest of the day.

Ohhh yes. I've had problems with them for years.
:sick:
I've tried a few different medications, and finally ended up on a low dose of Prozac, and haven't had any attacks since! I do still have Xanax handy to take as needed though! So glad I haven't needed them in a long time!

I'm curious, how long did it take to correct the vitamin deficiency to the point where the panic attacks stopped? Was it a few weeks, several weeks, months?

The severity dropped within about 3 weeks and they started to taper off, and they stopped altogether after about 2 and a half months, maybe 3 (again, I have a few again now, but much less severe and only every month or two whereas these were daily, sometimes more)

The severity dropped within about 3 weeks and they started to taper off, and they stopped altogether after about 2 and a half months, maybe 3 (again, I have a few again now, but much less severe and only every month or two whereas these were daily, sometimes more)

Thanks for the update! I'm seeing improvement with supplements but it's nice to hear a firsthand account from someone who has already been through it. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter