Anyone Have a bike trailer for 9 yr old?

shoegirl1020

Mouseketeer
I've been wanting to buy a bike so I could go bike riding with dh and dd10. However, my ds9 will not/cannot ride a bike. He loves his scooter, which wouldn't work on a bike path.

So, I was thinking of getting a bike trailer for my ds2 and was hoping they make one large enough to accomodate a child between 100 pounds with a sibling.

Anyone have any suggesstions or a website that I could visit>?

What about a "Trail a bike". It's something that hooks onto the back of a adult bike and basically makes a tandem with the back seat lower. The child in the back pedals, but doesn't steer. They also don't have to be able to balance. I got one for my DS when he was 4 and even though he was far from being able to balance a 2 wheeler he did fine with this.

I know that I'd never be able to pull a 100 lb child unless they were doing a lot of the work.

Most of the bicycle trailers on the market have a max combined weight of 100lb between 2 children and gear. Your big problem is likely to be width and height, not weight. The trailers are built for smallish children and frequently have dividers between the seats.

A chariot cabriolet might work for you, since I think it allows sitting in the center position. A burley cub is probably worth trying, since it's the largest burley. I think that REI tends to have both of those in stock so you can see how your son would fit.

Trail-a-bikes are an option. You can usually get an optional seat accessory that provides a backrest and seatbelt. They come in varieties with and without the ability to shift gears.

For yourself - get the lowest gears you can, because you'll need them if there are any hills where you're riding. Even on flat land starting from a stop with a loaded trailer is like trying to start a semi powered by a geo metro engine. Riding is easy - acceleration is very hard. You'll want powerful brakes too.

You might want to consider something like an xtracycle. It isn't a traditional trailer - but he could sit on the back and rest his feet on a set of footsies. An xtracycle will probably be easiest to drive of the options. There's a new frame built to have native xtracycle capabilities that Surly will be releasing this summer.

A trailer is the safest, but the hardest to manuver and propel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter