Anyone recently off the Magic - fireworks time?

Lisa F

is a very wise woman
I read a bunch of reports from the winter when fireworks were between dinner seatings at around 8pm causing me to cancel my 7:30 Palo and figure out a plan B.

Now I am wondering if I'd been too hasty - the sun doesn't even set until after 7:30 in June when we're sailing.

Can anyone recently on the Magic tell me what they are doing now?

I read a bunch of reports from the winter when fireworks were between dinner seatings at around 8pm causing me to cancel my 7:30 Palo and figure out a plan B.

Now I am wondering if I'd been too hasty - the sun doesn't even set until after 7:30 in June when we're sailing.

Can anyone recently on the Magic tell me what they are doing now?
Two weeks ago on the seven night cruise on the Magic, it was between dinner seatings.

For the Summer months, the deck party starts around 10pm, with fireworks closer to 10:30pm

It could be one of those things where they move it due to weather? I've had them change the pirate night entirely because of forecasted weather. It's traditionally on night 3 of a 4 night cruise, but they moved it to night 2 on my first cruise.

Seasonally adjusted deck party and fireworks timing has been the norm for a while on DCL... so in itself, this isn't new. Some ships like the Wish have two deck parties, with one fireworks showing... but the Classic ships like the Magic and Wonder, especially on family heavy cruises do revert to an earlier time when it is dark enough outside in between dining time to host the fireworks. Summer does not allow for that.

Seasonally adjusted deck party and fireworks timing has been the norm for a while on DCL... so in itself, this isn't new. Some ships like the Wish have two deck parties, with one fireworks showing... but the Classic ships like the Magic and Wonder, especially on family heavy cruises do revert to an earlier time when it is dark enough outside in between dining time to host the fireworks. Summer does not allow for that.
so do you think I am pretty safe for 10 days or so before summer solistice that they will be at 10pm and not between meals? I think sunset is around 7:35.

This is really driving me crazy honestly! I had everything all set with late dining, Palo at 7:30 and then freaked when I read a bunch of reports of it being earlier. Of course I don't know what timezone we'll be in, we will be between ft lauderdale and Cozumel.

Last edited:
I was on the Disney Magic from 4/27 to 5/4. The fireworks were in between dinner/show and touched off around 8:00 pm/8:05 pm. They had the Pirates in the Caribbean Deck Party with Mickey and Friends at 7:30 pm and that was it for deck entertainment. Weather was not a factor and sunset was at approximately 6:48 pm.

I was curious about the change and asked our dining team leader. Per our dining room staff, they are experimenting with changing the fireworks time to earlier based on guest feedback. Some Guests have given feedback that the normal 10:00 pm time was too late, especially for younger kids (i.e., the kids couldn't stay awake that long, or the fireworks/noise disrupted early bedtimes). We have taken a few cruises during the winter months, and this was the first time we have experienced fireworks at this early time not affected by weather.

I am sure they will push the time back to its original slot as sunset gets later in the summer months, but it seems they might be leveraging the sun setting early to accommodate guest feedback during those winter months.

It could be one of those things where they move it due to weather? I've had them change the pirate night entirely because of forecasted weather. It's traditionally on night 3 of a 4 night cruise, but they moved it to night 2 on my first cruise.
Well all of the pirate stuff is on day two so I'm pretty sure it will be that day. I was just very taken aback by the time. And have been going crazy and driving everyone else crazy trying to plan my palo night which I felt was set when I assumed pirate party at 10!

I was on the Disney Magic from 4/27 to 5/4. The fireworks were in between dinner/show and touched off around 8:00 pm/8:05 pm. They had the Pirates in the Caribbean Deck Party with Mickey and Friends at 7:30 pm and that was it for deck entertainment. Weather was not a factor and sunset was at approximately 6:48 pm.

I was curious about the change and asked our dining team leader. Per our dining room staff, they are experimenting with changing the fireworks time to earlier based on guest feedback. Some Guests have given feedback that the normal 10:00 pm time was too late, especially for younger kids (i.e., the kids couldn't stay awake that long, or the fireworks/noise disrupted early bedtimes). We have taken a few cruises during the winter months, and this was the first time we have experienced fireworks at this early time not affected by weather.

I am sure they will push the time back to its original slot as sunset gets later in the summer months, but it seems they might be leveraging the sun setting early to accommodate guest feedback during those winter months.
I just looked at the navigator for two cruises (I think, April 14th) before that and it was normal time (10pm). I just can't remember, do you know once you board what the schedule is like for the entire week? So I'd probably be able to move things around once I board (there is still availability for later seatings, which is what we want anyway, for every night.)

And I'm not so sure they will push it, sunset is already pretty late right now - half hour later might not change? although it's not truly dark for an hour after sunset so seems like before 7 it would be ok and much after 7 it won't be fully dark by 8.

I just looked at the navigator for two cruises (I think, April 14th) before that and it was normal time (10pm). I just can't remember, do you know once you board what the schedule is like for the entire week? So I'd probably be able to move things around once I board (there is still availability for later seatings, which is what we want anyway, for every night.)

And I'm not so sure they will push it, sunset is already pretty late right now - half hour later might not change? although it's not truly dark for an hour after sunset so seems like before 7 it would be ok and much after 7 it won't be fully dark by 8.

Yes, I suggest once you are sitting in the terminal waiting to board open the app and log in/connect to the ship's Wi-Fi. Not sure if this is true for Ft. Laudy, but normally sitting in Port Canaveral gets me close enough to connect to the ship. Otherwise, load the app once on the ship. There you can navigate to the entire schedule of events for the duration of the cruise and see what time the deck party is. Normally, the fireworks follow the deck party so if the party is at 7:30 pm, I am assuming the fireworks will be 8:00 pm. If you have trouble with the app or are unsure about times, I am sure a crew member will know the schedule for the sailing.

Then before you get on board you can decide how to alter your plans and whether you need to stop by to change dining reservations once boarded. I would make this a priority as one of the first things to do once on if Palo is important to you.

Yes, I suggest once you are sitting in the terminal waiting to board open the app and log in/connect to the ship's Wi-Fi. Not sure if this is true for Ft. Laudy, but normally sitting in Port Canaveral gets me close enough to connect to the ship. Otherwise, load the app once on the ship. There you can navigate to the entire schedule of events for the duration of the cruise and see what time the deck party is. Normally, the fireworks follow the deck party so if the party is at 7:30 pm, I am assuming the fireworks will be 8:00 pm. If you have trouble with the app or are unsure about times, I am sure a crew member will know the schedule for the sailing.

Then before you get on board you can decide how to alter your plans and whether you need to stop by to change dining reservations once boarded. I would make this a priority as one of the first things to do once on if Palo is important to you.
I already need to try to add our traveling companions (first time cruisers) to our Palo brunch so was planning on getting there at noon - even though it says 12:30, I'm reading they are available early. So I should have it pretty well sorted!

It's just driving me bonkers that I can't have it sorted ahead of time! Safest thing is to just stay clear of that night entirely .

The April 17th sailing was at 10pm... some more recent may have been earlier because of ship positioning, length of cruise, guest mix.. April/May is a bit of a transition period. Sunset in Bahamas in mid-June is around 8pm... so the sky would still be a bit too bright still for fireworks. Fireworks at MK are moving closer to 9:30pm in mid-June. The other tips that have been provided are good... but for clarity, DCL has not "changed" anything - they just adjust

The April 17th sailing was at 10pm... some more recent may have been earlier because of ship positioning, length of cruise, guest mix.. April/May is a bit of a transition period. Sunset in Bahamas in mid-June is around 8pm... so the sky would still be a bit too bright still for fireworks. Fireworks at MK are moving closer to 9:30pm in mid-June. The other tips that have been provided are good... but for clarity, DCL has not "changed" anything - they just adjust
We will be on our way from ft. lauderdale to cozumel with sunset at 8:13 in Ft. Lauderdale and 7:30 in cozumel (which is an hour behind EDT that time of year) so probably between then, with nautical twilight lasting nearly an hour after it does seem like 8pm won't be a good time for fireworks that time of year.

You wouldn't happen to know when they change the clocks approaching cozumel would you? Would the sea day the day before (night before) be on EDT like Ft. Lauderdale or EST like Cozumel?

I cruise infrequently and had always taken 10pm for granted for the deck party.

We will be on our way from ft. lauderdale to cozumel with sunset at 8:13 in Ft. Lauderdale and 7:30 in cozumel (which is an hour behind EDT that time of year) so probably between then, with nautical twilight lasting nearly an hour after it does seem like 8pm won't be a good time for fireworks that time of year.

You wouldn't happen to know when they change the clocks approaching cozumel would you? Would the sea day the day before (night before) be on EDT like Ft. Lauderdale or EST like Cozumel?

I cruise infrequently and had always taken 10pm for granted for the deck party.
DCL usually ask guest to move time back the evening before getting into Cozumel. The sea day will be EDT

I'll be on the Magic on Thursday and can tell you what time the fireworks are for our sailing.

I'll be on the Magic on Thursday and can tell you what time the fireworks are for our sailing.
Thank you, I appreciate it! I think I have decided to keep my 8pm Palo on pirate night and then try to switch the time on board if need be due to fireworks and if not just cancel that and go to first night which I am relatively sure I should be able to get on board. I probably can't keep my prebooking because I won't have the 24 hour cancelation but I'm guessing I could get it day of.

DCL usually ask guest to move time back the evening before getting into Cozumel. The sea day will be EDT
Thanks. I think that is jogging a memory, they leave it in turndown and you lose/gain overnight. which makes the most sense. I think I am losing my mind :) but sunset will be like 8:15 with nautical twilight about an hour later so I think I am probably pretty safe that they are not going to be shooting off fireworks without the sun even being down yet.

Here’s my (mostly) tongue in cheek: if you had kept Night 1 Palo, this wouldn’t be an issue. Said by someone who intentionally does Palo on Pirate Night - but haven’t experienced these new test times for fireworks.

I might even go outside to see the fireworks if I were dining in Palo.

Here’s my (mostly) tongue in cheek: if you had kept Night 1 Palo, this wouldn’t be an issue. Said by someone who intentionally does Palo on Pirate Night - but haven’t experienced these new test times for fireworks.

I might even go outside to see the fireworks if I were dining in Palo.
I haven't canceled it yet lol. I THINK finally what my plan is is this

I am going to keep 8pm pirates night
we have an 11:30 PAT boarding group 7

I'm going to get on board and see the Palo people about adding our people to our Thursday brunch (I am not canceling if I they can't though, lol - but I am hoping I'll be able to snag a 4 top for our 2 top on that day since the other sea day is packed with things we don't want to cancel) and also check the navigator (who am I kidding, I am going to be checking the navigator as soon as I am in ship wifi range!) If the pirate party is at 10pm I will probably keep our 8 or maybe see if I can move it to 7:30 (which it was originally before I freaked out like an idiot seeing all of those references to 8pm fireworks.)

If the pirate party is at 7:30 with fireworks to follow, I will cancel pirate night and book first night on the spot - since I assume they won't let me cancel it day of without penalties, I can't hold it in advance. But I really cannot imagine they are shooting off the fireworks 15 minutes before the sun even sets!!! But I digress, if for whatever reason the fireworks are at 8 I am going to assume it will be easy enough to get either first night or last night, both of which have multiple seating time choices available right now 33 days out.

So I am pretty sure 10pm for the party will be it with fireworks to follow because it makes no sense any other way that time of year. I just wish I'd been able to process all that without changing things around, stressing, and bugging you fine people. But I mean seriously, maybe I should have checked sunset first thing lol.

I thought of going outside to see the fireworks but in my quick disboard search people said they close that section of deck during the fireworks. I would be totally ok pausing dinner for fireworks having done that at california grill more than once. But having to find a spot among the crowds in the middle of a meal - no.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter