Anyone visit WDW with DVT?

BeadyLady

<font color=magenta>Survivor<br><font color=darkor
I would like to know, or figure out if I should ask my Dr for a slip to allow me to get through the lines faster than 1 hour of standing time. I have a two hour limitation on standing - or sitting for that matter. Has anyone else gone to WDW and has any tips for me?
Thanks!

What you are asking about is a Guest Assistance Card. The GAC (we don't like to keep typing it all out on this board) says right on it that it is not meant to shorten or eliminate waits in line. What it is, is a tool to let the CMs know what sorts of assistance/accomidation someone with an invisible disability might need. That might be a place to wait where you could get up and move around rather than staying in one place. They don't give GACS that limit your wait to a specific amount of time and a note from your doctor saying you need short waits would not make any difference.
If you think a GAC would be helpful, go to Guest Services in any of the parks and explain your needs (but, be aware, saying "I need to avoid wating in line" won't get you anywhere. They need to know what sorts of needs you have so that they can try to meet them).
If you have a limit on standing in one place, you should be aware that for most attractions, the line is continually making small motion forwards. The only attractions where you would be standing in one place are usually the shows that load a large people into a theater at one time.

In your case, you might be best off renting a wheelchair, so that you can have a place to sit when you need to sit and you can stand and push it when you have reached your sitting limit.

Depending on just when you are going, you may find that the waits in line are not anywhere near as long as you expect.
During peak times (like holidays, the height of Spring Break, during much of the summer), the waits may be long for some attratction. But, even at those times, if you can go to the parks early in the day (like at opening), you can get on many attractions without more than a 15 minute wait. My DH and I went last July (a busy time) to MK for park opening. By 11:30, we had been on Snow White (twice), Pooh, Peter Pan, Haunted Mansion, Pirates and the Riverboat without more than a 15 minute wait for anything. We walked right on to some of the earlier things we visited without waiting at all.
And, often things that are very busy at one point of the day (like Spaceshipe Earth at Epcot is busy early on because it's the first thing people see when they get to the park). By mid-afternoon, it's often a less than 10 minute wait.
What would be the most helpful to you probably would be to use FastPass as much possible. Fastpass is a free service available at some rides/attractions where you put your park pass into a fastpass machine and a fastpass comes out with a time printed on it to return. When you return, you will be able to go on the attraction - usually with a 10 minute or less wait.

Sue,
Thank you for the answers - I've been a bit worried about the standing in place. I'm planning on seeing a lot of the park benches as needed. I'm also curious as to how many others have this issue - feel kinda alone sometimes on this one. Ah, well.

One thing I didn't mention, you can ask the CM at the entrance to the queue whether that particular is one where you will pretty much always be in slow, but constant motion, or whether you will be standing in one spot fo a lot of the wait.
You might want to aks your doctor for some exercises to do while you are standing and/or sitting to decrease your chance of a DVT. (Anything that causes muscle contraction of your legs will help with that).

thanks again! I've already got DVT, so I know the exercises. It's a timing thing that's most annoying. Regardless of walking or standing - still 2 hours limit. Sitting - 2 hours too - so I know that whole walk about the plane thing.

Don't feel alone! I too am dealing with a DVT. I was hospitalized on Dec. 29th, 2004 and I'm still on house arrest! :sad2:

I was looking forward to going to Disney over spring break, but it was cancelled because of the DVT. I'm hoping to be released for June...but the way it's looking, it may be October before I can go.

If you find out any information on what's best, let me know (I got to the doc next month and was going to ask about the rides...did your doc release you to go on them?)! I'll be dealing with this clot for quite sometime because it's so large. I'll take all the hints I can get because being cooped up in this house is horrible! :rotfl2:

No one seems to understand all the complications you run into with this and just how dangerous it can be. This being said, you still want to go on with your life and try to get out and enjoy it too! :cool1:

Good luck!

I got mine in May of 2001, and was on the blood thiners for 2 years- ugh on the blood test to test the levels of thinners! So here I am - the clots turn into scars - and new viens will form to work around. Got off the thinners - as they weren't doing anything helpful after awhile. I think you needing the test for levels would be your biggest concern.
My Doctor - hasn't given me any limitations, so I'm not too worried about the rides. And, maybe your clot will disolve? solve alot of problems if it does!

Thank goodness for the DISforums- hopefully keeping your brain smart while you wait of the rest time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter