AP Holders: Should Disney "Stop the Clock" on passes until there is a Vaccine for COVID-19 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is what y’all are asking for something you’d really be upset about if you didnt get it, or are you just hoping for some disney magic?

I don’t really understand your problem with people asking Disney to freeze their passes. I’m not asking for any additional months. I’d simply prefer Disney freeze my pass for the 3.5 months I had left when they closed, and allow me to decide to use those three months when either a. We have a vaccine b. The virus cases drop to zero c. When there’s a reliable treatment. I don’t think that’s too much to ask. However, if they decide to open the parks in June and stick with either the refund or extension options, we’ll just get the refund. No harm no foul.

I don’t really understand your problem with people asking Disney to freeze their passes. I’m not asking for any additional months. I’d simply prefer Disney freeze my pass for the 3.5 months I had left when they closed, and allow me to decide to use those three months when either a. We have a vaccine b. The virus cases drop to zero c. When there’s a reliable treatment. I don’t think that’s too much to ask. However, if they decide to open the parks in June and stick with either the refund or extension options, we’ll just get the refund. No harm no foul.
I do like the fact they are giving you an option for a refund at least. I think that’s a nice option.

Just wanted to note that it’s pretty often advised on here that you can make good use of APs by strategically planning 2 trips within its year.

Some people sound almost as if they think it was a risky decision to buy an AP based on just enough travel to make it valuable. Hindsight is 20/20, while this kind of circumstance will surely play a role in planing for many people in the future, up until now nobody in their wildest dreams expected months of closures as a possibility. It was pretty reasonable to think that the biggest risk of locking into 365 days of travel was personal circumstances preventing it from happening.

The first company to start clinical trials has been using the same technology for over 30 years and has yet to produce a viable product. This may be a very long road
That isn't true at all. Moderna was founded in 2010 and didn't start working on vaccines until a few years ago. Although they haven't yet brought any to market, none have failed testing, it's just normally a slow road to ho.

mRNA vaccines is a bleeding edge technology and it has not been around for 30 years, more like 5-10.

I do like the fact they are giving you an option for a refund at least. I think that’s a nice option.

I agree.... you’ll have people that have passes and are at risk and really shouldn’t be going to a Disney Park right away. So it gives those people and people like us who don’t want the exposure right now an option. I’d actually probably risk it, because I’m not completely convinced my chances of catching it at Disneyland are any greater than at the grocery store, but my husband is adamant we aren’t going to Disneyland this summer. I’d just like an option to freeze because we are local and definitely will use the pass when it’s safer. It’ll be interesting to see how things shake out here in California over the next month. Latest models show we peaked two days ago and recommend relaxing some social distancing measures May 18, as long as there are certain criteria in place.

And that's where you're wrong.

Because history would tell us?

Disneys response to DVC members and AP holders has caused more of an uproar than I think I have ever seen before.

Who is gonna pay full price for half the service thats being proposed?

Forget their slimy decision to stop paying their staff after the billions they have raked in.

I mean you’re basically asking Disney to give you non expiring tickets, what a can of worms that would be opening.

I’d be slamming Disney if they didn’t add on days to your ap to match the days they’re closed. However they are. This just proves that you can’t make everyone happy no matter what you do.

Wrong. I said they were valid for the next year, so they would expire within a year. That way people would have some flexibility. Doesn't even have to be a one for one day ticket, maybe just 14 days of tickets that would expire within a year.

And no, you can't make everyone happy. But, this involves the happiness of current pass holders, which isn't you, so don't get so high and mighty thinking you know what is right or fair to us when it's really none of your business and doesn't affect you.

Seems a little snotty and preachy.

Touched a nerve? By your own account, you are a 50 year old who enjoys upwards of 3+ trips to Walt Disney World. All of us on these boards love Disney and understand the cost of going. To that end, we can also understand the magnitude that closing the parks and resorts is having on the company, financially. The parks and resorts division - which accounts for 30% of the operating income of the company - is bleeding money - losing $13,000,000 a day - that’s $455,000,000 since they’ve closed - JUST BETWEEN WDW & DL. For the company to be so consumer focused in offering extensions and refunds to AP holders during this time is unprecedented.

So no, my comment was not at all snotty or preachy.

You, as a consumer, need to accept some responsibility here for what you agreed to when you made the purchase. You purchased a pass that was forthcoming with the fact that it did not guarantee theme park admission.

Because history would tell us?

Disneys response to DVC members and AP holders has caused more of an uproar than I think I have ever seen before.

Who is gonna pay full price for half the service thats being proposed?

Forget their slimy decision to stop paying their staff after the billions they have raked in.
Because I'm renewing in 2 weeks so your blanket statement of "no one will pay for an ap every again" is wrong. I along with many many others will continue to get ap because it makes sense for us. I have been an AP holder for 20 years and i can tell you that the offers have gone way down but for me it still makes sense financially. Until it doesn't. And that is a personal decision

There’s expectations and there’s desires.

I don’t expect more than an extension based on the exact amount of days lost, and to a lesser extent I don’t expect that clock to start until at least all 4 parks are open.

I do hope they will take individual situations into account if their given solutions don’t work well for those individuals. I don’t think asking for the extension to be applied in a way that allows that individual passholder to actually see value in having an annual pass is outrageous. Everyone’s circumstances are different, I *hope* but not expect that Disney is willing to address that.

I would not expect the clock to start only when all 4 parks are open, otherwise you're proposing folks with APs going before then would be getting in for free. If one park is open, the clock starts.

This thread will never end because the next round of complaints will happen once we hear about any "modified experiences" and folks would want to pause their AP until they can get the "full" WDW experience.

This thread will never end because the next round of complaints will happen once we hear about any "modified experiences" and folks would want to pause their AP until they can get the "full" WDW experience.

For these people, getting the refund should be their option. It’s not like Disney is telling you you have to take the extension.... I would love a freeze because we are local and I’m not comfortable going if they open this summer.... but I’ll happily take the refund option if it’s either extend or refund. I personally don’t think the value is there for modified experiences, depending on what they are, but I wouldn’t complain to Disney about that. I’d just get my refund and reassess when life is more “normal”.

I would not expect the clock to start only when all 4 parks are open, otherwise you're proposing folks with APs going before then would be getting in for free. If one park is open, the clock starts.

Well considering they price according to the full Disney experience... if you go to a Broadway show and the star is out for that perfromance, you can get a refund to come back a day when they are there.

What makes this the right thing to do? Because it’s what you want? Because it’s what works best for your situation? What about an individual whose pass expired in the beginning of April - they then get extended through to summer of 2021? That would be the right thing to do? Somehow, I feel like the same folks complaining about the options Disney has currently put forth would be in an uproar at the idea of some people getting something for free that they aren’t. The fact of the matter is, the only truly fair method is to extend everyone the same amount of days, or offer a refund for the days they are closed - through the end of their AP.

What do you work for Disney or have stock in Disney??? People buy these passes based on how many days they figure they will be in the park in a given year. There are calculations for this, there own reps recommend doing this. We just want to get what we paid for, based on the schedule we booked our vacations on.

Despite what fine print may or may not say, I do feel like if they are not at the least opening all 4 parks, including that period in the time APs are extended would be the right thing to do.

Limited experience within the parks is a little more grey. What they are legally bound to provide AP holders is not really the question,
IMO.

Touched a nerve? By your own account, you are a 50 year old who enjoys upwards of 3+ trips to Walt Disney World. All of us on these boards love Disney and understand the cost of going.

And I will go when I'm 80 if I'm alive and still happy with the experience. Couldn't care less about what judgy people think about it. Me and my family went 8 times last year. We regularly spend $30k+ a year there. Why? Because we love it and we can. Wonderful time I get to spend with the people I love. Exactly what Walt himself said he wanted from the parks, although I'm sure he would agree with everything he would see if he were alive today. No apologies and I don't care what people think of it

To that end, we can also understand the magnitude that closing the parks and resorts is having on the company, financially. The parks and resorts division - which accounts for 30% of the operating income of the company - is bleeding money - losing $13,000,000 a day - that’s $455,000,000 since they’ve closed - JUST BETWEEN WDW & DL. For the company to be so consumer focused in offering extensions and refunds to AP holders during this time is unprecedented.

No, it's not "unprecedented" for companies to not hide behind some fine print and make some accommodations. And their best customers usually get more accommodations.

So no, my comment was not at all snotty or preachy.

You, as a consumer, need to accept some responsibility here for what you agreed to when you made the purchase. You purchased a pass that was forthcoming with the fact that it did not guarantee theme park admission.

There is also the legal principle of what is fair and reasonable in a contract Even outside the courts, not sure Disney wants to argue with some of there most frequent customers that they should have somehow expected to suck up the cost of a multiple month shutdown with little flexibility because of financial cost when they have been paying execs tens of millions of dollars for years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter