AP rates/DDE vs. MYW dining pkg?!?! HELP!

cheerbop

DIS Veteran
Ok...The more I research, the more confused I get...can someone help with our decision?

We are looking at Dec 7-14 (7 nights) at either of htese or combo of these:
CR, WL, GF, AKL
4 of us DH, me, DS(7), DS (1)

NOW...I see how the MYW dining CAN work IF you don't do the Candlelight proc dining pkg or the Fantasmic dining pkg or a Dinner show like Hoop dee doo that is NOT the late one (all not in the plan)...
but when you break down the cost of things like this that are NOT in the plan added into the MYW PACKAGE with no room discounts it seems as if it may cost more than an AP rates booked sep.

If we saved hundreds on a room (told at that time the discount avg's about $100 a night at a deluxe) totalling about $700...wouldn't this save more $, esp if we bought the DDE also.

We would have to purchase an AP for one of the adults obviously, but won't the saving add up?

I get so confused with this..... HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused3

I'm in the same boat as you. My husband and I want to stay at AKL in October and I'm also trying to weight everything out. I'm not sure if I want to do the meal package either. If I don't use all of the vouchers, I will feel as if I wasted my money. I want to do some dinner shows in the parks also, and I don't think I can use the vouchers for that either. I was thinking about getting an AP and hoping to get $100 off my room rate instead of the free dining package (I got a pin code attached to my name). As an AP member, I think it would be beneficial to get the meals discount for and extra $50 plus my husband and I were going to go to MNSSHP and AP members get discounts on those tickets too.

Decisions, decisions....

:confused3

I'm glad you asked this because I have the same question. Since we're planning on staying at the FW Cabins, I think we'd be better off getting the AP discount and DDE, and eating some meals at the cabin. I'm still thinking about it, though... :)

So if I would get an A/P rate you can't get the New Dining Plan for the $35/day?

They love to make us crazy! :crazy:

Angie, I don't think so because you have to be buying a *package* in order to get the dining plan, and everyone in your group has to be on the package. If you get one AP, then not everyone will be on a package. I think that's the way it goes, but hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

From my research, you are correct. Everyone must be on the plan. And, to be on the plan, you must pay rack rate for the room.

That is what my dilema is. I can totally see why the package works for those at Value Resorts and aybe even the Moderates...but when I figure in staying at a Delux and averagin about $100 or more a night on a 7 night trip I am looking at paying $700+ less on my room.
UNLESS I am really missing something, I think I will go with the AP...we pay a little extra for it, but that still leaves multiple 100's of dollars in savings.

AND, we want to get some dinner packages that are NOT on the plan..Fantasmic, HoopDeeDoo(only the late show in the pkg...NOT with 2 young children!), Candlelight Processional, etc. So, even with the PKG we will be spending the $ on these out of pocket.

What do you think?! I may not be offered as much food on the AP rates, but I will eat well just the same!

Give me your input! :teeth:

The DDE membership might not be your big saver either if you are wanting Fantasmic, CP, etc.
The DDE was good on holidays, up until this year. And I think a select WDW restaraunts allow doscounts on holidays now.
I have never tried using DDE for Fantasmic. I have read here the official word is NO. That being said, you know it can be done and sometimes is.
I don't know about DDE or AP for CP, as we have not done that.
To truly decide, if I were you I would contact DDE and ask specific questions about your dining needs.

Also take into consideration costs if AP discounts are not offered. That is a possibility. Also by this years trend the AP discounts aren't as good as they were last year. They are a flat dollar amount off and not a percentage. So when calculating expect to pay a little more than last years rates.

And also count into if you will be making more than one trip before the AP expires - if so then it might be worth it, if not then you have to take that into consideration too.

Lots of math involved ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter