Apple Pay

I just don't see the costs with cash. That article makes no sense.
I agree
Apple Pay has saved my proverbial behind more than once. I go for a haircut, forget my cards/wallet or my PIN code and fix everything just by swiping my phone on the account I choose :)
In my entire life (50+ years), I have NEVER forgot my wallet and not been able to pay for something.

Well, as the lady that owns my favorite cheese shop is thinking of going cash only. She is paying $5,000 a month in credit card fees.
I just don't see the costs with cash. That article makes no sense. But it is from a bank, which makes nothing on cash business, and 3% on credit card sales so not sure they are unbiased.
I used to have to count out a cash drawer every night, took 5 minutes. Although most of the places I go to that are cash only are like the cheese store, and the local gourmet hamburger restaurant where the owner is the only one in the cash drawer, so there is tight control over who gets in the cash draw.
The costs associated with cash were a big reason my company tried to go cashless. Every retail location had two shifts. All cash had to be counted at the beginning and end of each shift. Any discrepancies had to be researched and resolved immediately by a manager. Cash from sales had to come to the corporate office where we reconciled each shift against their cash sales, counted up the overall cash from all locations for deposit, and calculated when to ask the bank for change or replenishment. The employees were at risk of termination for discrepancies. There was an armed truck service that moved the money from one location to another. Handling cash took a lot of extra man hours and extra expense.

However, due to the type of business and contracts we were involved with, the end result was worse when cash wasn’t accepted than dealing with the extra expense and work hours handling it.

Apple Pay has saved my proverbial behind more than once. I go for a haircut, forget my cards/wallet or my PIN code and fix everything just by swiping my phone on the account I choose :)
I would have been sunk as my barber shop, and the one closest to my house are cash only.
And I have NEVER forgotten my wallet. Can't say the same for my phone although I do .zero financial transactions on my phone for security reasons.

I hate carrying things in my pocket. It's very seldom you catch me with my money clip on me. It's always in my car. I always have my phone on me though.

I hardly ever use cash.

I use Apple Pay for everything I can.

There are a few places that make me carry a card, but, more and more these places are moving to accept Apple Pay.

I can't believe more restaurants do not utilize the mobile terminals for Apple Pay or swiping a card.

I don't use Apple anything. I always carry my purse (feel naked without it), so I always have my wallet. Seems easier to just pull a card out than have to fiddle with a phone app.

I don't use Apple anything. I always carry my purse (feel naked without it), so I always have my wallet. Seems easier to just pull a card out than have to fiddle with a phone app.
There is no fiddling with an app.

You double click the side button, glance at your phone, and tap the card reader.

Again not trying to change any minds but you’re not fiddling with an app. Double click the side button as you hold your phone near the reader. Takes literally two seconds. If you wear an Apple Watch it’s even faster because you don’t even have to pull your phone out.

Again not trying to change any minds but you’re not fiddling with an app. Double click the side button as you hold your phone near the reader. Takes literally two seconds. If you wear an Apple Watch it’s even faster because you don’t even have to pull your phone out.
I don't use Apple anything. No iPhone, no Apple watch. I still think it's easier to just pull out my card and tap.

I don't use Apple anything. No iPhone, no Apple watch. I still think it's easier to just pull out my card and tap.
Android only here, but while Google pay is an option, I don't use it. Pull out the card I want to use (could be one of three bank/debit accounts or one of two credit cards, to say nothing about HSA card if medical), then insert or hold (tap is a misnomer IMO), card goes back in wallet.

Good for you? :confused3

It looks like the "Apple Pay" folks are trying REALLY hard to convince others that their way is the best way. Why do you (general) care whether someone else uses cards, cash, or (heaven forbid) a check?
Rather than trying to convince, I think the "Apple Pay' people are simply responding to those posting incorrect info on how it works.

The "Apple Pay" people are just sharing info like everyone else here.

Good for you, though.

No place I shop has ever refused to take my cash...............LOL. Don't see any reason to change. Apple just wants to get into the lucrative credit card fee business. Nothing wrong with that, but the way I currently use cash or credit cards isn't going to change for me. Have an android phone and don't think it is good idea to have one-stop shopping on your phone when you carry it around in public.

You're lucky. There are numerous cashless businesses near me. A new waterpark opened here last summer. As of this summer, they are fully cashless. You can link a credit card to your RFID entry wristband for the day, or you can visit one if several "Cash to Card" ATMs scattered around the park. You feed your cash into it and it spits out a free debit card loaded with your cash amount. No fees. Look for this to start popping up in more places as cash handling goes out of favor.

I use Google Wallet. I like it because it's more secure. It uses a uniquely generated card number for each transaction, so there is much less chance for fraud. I find it as easy as using a credit card, since I tap to pay with cards everywhere I shop.

I do only carry one credit card along with my drivers license when I need to go out. I hate having cash on hand.

See, here in the U.S. cash costs a merchant nothing. Credit cards however, do charge a fee of 3-4%. which more and more merchants here are adding onto you bill.

Cash absolutely costs a merchant. They need to invest in a good safe to store it in. They need to either pay an armored car company for cash pickups/deliveries or they need to use man hours to go to the bank every morning. They need to maintain a bank account and pay any associated fees. It costs man hours to count and reconcile cash drawers numerous times a day. And there is a risk calculation about being robbed when you have cash on the premises.

As of this summer, they are fully cashless…you can visit one if several "Cash to Card" ATMs scattered around the park. You feed your cash into it…
So they aren’t fully cashless. Inconvenient for sure, but they will still take your cash.

Good for you? :confused3

It looks like the "Apple Pay" folks are trying REALLY hard to convince others that their way is the best way. Why do you (general) care whether someone else uses cards, cash, or (heaven forbid) a check?
I don’t care what you use, I’m just correcting misinformation. People see things on the internet and they tend to run with it. Lots of people are afraid of technology because they don’t understand it so if I see something that’s incorrect I try to provide the correct information so if they *want* to try it they have good information. No other reason than that.

So they aren’t fully cashless. Inconvenient for sure, but they will still take your cash.

*They* will not accept your cash for any purchases, no. The machines are located near the lockers and they are third party owned and operated. They are like a vending machine.

And at the end of the day, they aren't giving you back any cash left on the card. You have to use the card elsewhere to drain it.

You also can't use cash outside at the ticket window to buy tickets. The cash machines are all located inside the gate.

I have never used Apple Pay, I used to use the objectively superior Samsung Pay, but have stopped using it on a day to day basis. I have a couple of cards stored in case I have my phone but not my wallet, but in general use the actual cards. The wide adoption of tap to pay has made pulling out my wallet and grabbing a card as fast or faster than using my phone. I also carry between 4 and 10 CC with me, takes a lot less time to grab the specific card out than it does to cycle through the options on Samsung Pay, then make the transaction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter