April 2021 Car Rental Thread

I just returned from a Budget rental. Arrived Wednesday night, literally no line. After a failed attempt at a hard upsell, I was given a small SUV after prepaying to rent an economy car($152 for 5 days through U T). The vehicle was next to new. There seemed to be plenty on site both when I picked up last Wed and when I dropped off this morning.
Amazing. When I look at Alamo or Budget for 2 weeks from now, , the best I can find for a midsize is still over $450 with discount codes.

Just checked costco for the 11--20. all cars are over 600. is anyone renting cars at this price. if not why aren't the prices coming down. they just keep going up

Does anyone recall at Alamo in Orlando if they have a "Standard" Car row, of do you just go up to Full Size?

Though I decided not to rent a car on this trip, I did want to share that the best I found was through Avis and linking my Amazon account - with taxes $402 for a "standard" WITH a $40 Amazon gift card after rental is complete. Weird thing, too, they offered me a Ford Mustang or similar (not convertible) cheaper by $10/week than the compact car....

Does anyone recall at Alamo in Orlando if they have a "Standard" Car row, of do you just go up to Full Size?

No Alamo Standard row at MCO (as of our last visit in December, anyway).

Regardless of whether you book a standard or full size, you will be selecting vehicles from the same aisle.

I just returned from a Budget rental. Arrived Wednesday night, literally no line. After a failed attempt at a hard upsell, I was given a small SUV after prepaying to rent an economy car($152 for 5 days through U T). The vehicle was next to new. There seemed to be plenty on site both when I picked up last Wed and when I dropped off this morning.
What type of "small SUV" did you have?

The intermediate cars have been fluctuating between $550-$600 which makes me so glad I’ve got one for $307. In contrast, I’ve got a car for the first week in December for $225.

The intermediate cars have been fluctuating between $550-$600 which makes me so glad I’ve got one for $307. In contrast, I’ve got a car for the first week in December for $225.
Wow, our rental for October is still mid 300's.

Yeah, this is bad. I booked Alamo back in late February for April 9-13 at $286 for an intermediate via Costco thinking rates would come down. I guess because of the combination of spring break season, demand picking up because of pandemic restrictions loosening a bit and the temporary closure of one of the MCO rental garages, prices have done nothing but climb and climb rapidly. Looking today, some agencies are completely sold out. Now I'm happy with my $286, instead of the almost double it would be if I rented today. Hoping this is more an aberration and rates get at least somewhat better for future trips. The old rule of prices coming down the last couple weeks before pickup certainly is untrue today...

Yeah, this is bad. I booked Alamo back in late February for April 9-13 at $286 for an intermediate via Costco thinking rates would come down. I guess because of the combination of spring break season, demand picking up because of pandemic restrictions loosening a bit and the temporary closure of one of the MCO rental garages, prices have done nothing but climb and climb rapidly. Looking today, some agencies are completely sold out. Now I'm happy with my $286, instead of the almost double it would be if I rented today. Hoping this is more an aberration and rates get at least somewhat better for future trips. The old rule of prices coming down the last couple weeks before pickup certainly is untrue today...
There is also way less supply compared to demand at the moment. Rental agencies sold off a large portion of their fleet at the beginning of the pandemic and haven’t brought enough new cars in which is causing prices to skyrocket.

This is from a friend who is in the business

I work with rental agencies. COVID was a horrible time for Hertz with their cars. Their bankruptcy forced them to abort retail and stay with rental. So their overhead was huge will little income. This forced a backup of vehicles and when allowed...they ran so many to auction to recoup money. Now they are low on vehicles. Auctions are bringing insane prices (hence why many dealers are low on inventory and companies like CarMax or caravana are buying everything over book) for vehicles because dealers have low inventory. So many agencies are selling and shorting their rental fleet. It’s a weird time.

UGH... Our plans have changed due to a family emergency. Originally booked a MS SUV at Hertz, 4/11-4/16, "weekly" rate of $299, thru autoslash/Priceline. We have had to extend our stay until Sunday, 4/18. Still a weekly rental but now the best I can do is $446 at Hertz, once again through autoslash/Priceline. Should I try calling Hertz directly and see if they'll extend the original rental for the full week, at the same price, or is that a waste of my time this year?

I have 8 days Alamo standard SUV April 18-25 for $475, which is TERRIBLE, but now it's $591. Ugh.

Just popped over and reserved a mid SUV for a Late September trip, $374. Will watch that one.

I am holding 2 ressies for 4/24-5/1. I am going to make up my mind today when I run the numbers again. So far I have:
Midsize SUV thru Budget for $509.09. :scared1:
Fullsize car(Chevy Malibu) at Thrifty for $444.83. :sad2:

I usually rent from Alamo....but their prices are higher right now. :sick:

I am holding 2 ressies for 4/24-5/1. I am going to make up my mind today when I run the numbers again. So far I have:
Midsize SUV thru Budget for $509.09. :scared1:
Fullsize car(Chevy Malibu) at Thrifty for $444.83. :sad2:

I usually rent from Alamo....but their prices are higher right now. :sick:
There have been reports of very long waits at the Budget desk - more than an hour. Thrifty may be better not just for the price but for checking out.

Checked again today for our April trip and still $150 over our reservation. Doesn't appear to be going to come down.

i'll just uber around i guess. Prices are out of control / even towards then end of april.

So many agencies are selling and shorting their rental fleet. It’s a weird time.
Sell off over the winter months. Production is down in the industry on new vehicles and those low mileage year or two old cars are selling for a premium. Going to take some time for them to both commit to reinvesting in their fleets & securing new vehicles.

Many who are ok with traveling to FL aren’t willing to use public transportation as they have in the past...a whole new pool of car renters.

That said, the agencies are in the business to make a profit. Will raise rates to highest level the public will swallow.

A real outside chance, might see lower rates pop up sporadically starting a week or two out for lower volume periods. Didn’t see it happen over last few trips since October.

Just hope they don’t stay too conservative and not expend the Capital to renew their fleet numbers into next year when ME changes. Will certainly increase the pool of people vying for the same finite number of vehicles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter