Are ADRs easier to get for solo travellers/diners?

Bloodbound21

Earning My Ears
I'm visiting next March on a solo trip. It is my first adult trip and my first visit to WDW since 2012, so a lot has obviously changed since I last went.

You see people going on about how ADRs can be hard to get for the most popular restaurants but is it easier if you only need a table for one? I'm mostly concerned about getting a Boma breakfast and dinner slot (not on the same day) and a Rodeo Roundup slot on my long day at DHS. What makes it harder is that I am vegan and options are more limited if you are not a burger and fries kind of guy, nor if you are not a snacker/grazer. I have the advantage of being in the UK anyway, so the time difference for booking ADRs means I am not forced to get up early, however does being a solo diner make it even easier on top of all that?

I'm visiting next March on a solo trip. It is my first adult trip and my first visit to WDW since 2012, so a lot has obviously changed since I last went.

You see people going on about how ADRs can be hard to get for the most popular restaurants but is it easier if you only need a table for one? I'm mostly concerned about getting a Boma breakfast and dinner slot (not on the same day) and a Rodeo Roundup slot on my long day at DHS. What makes it harder is that I am vegan and options are more limited if you are not a burger and fries kind of guy, nor if you are not a snacker/grazer. I have the advantage of being in the UK anyway, so the time difference for booking ADRs means I am not forced to get up early, however does being a solo diner make it even easier on top of all that?
People go on about the challenges of getting reservations because it often isn't easy. Try searching for one first. If that doesn't work try searching for a table for two.

Boma is pretty easy!

Being solo does not make it easier. It can be easier if you are trying some walk-up lounge options - but I find that very hit or miss, too.

In my experience (as a solo diner most of the time) it's much harder to get ADRs for 1 than for 2.

Very often I've had to book an ADR for 2 because nothing comes up when I search for 1...
Even numbers generally show the best availability. For some ADRs, I had to search for 4 to get any available times to show up, and after confirming that reservation, modifying down to 1.
This! I've had to put in 2 to get anything to show (and, if it's prepay, you can make the 2nd guest under 3 to avoid paying for 2). Most places sit solos at a 2-top anyway so they don't bat an eye at it.

The easiest way is to actually make a reservation for two if one isn't available. Disney's system seems to limit the amount available for solos, even if plenty of 2 tops are available.

@Bloodbound21: Check out https://vegandisneyworld.com/ for lots of good info about what's what for vegan options at WDW.

There are actually more things than are on menus, particularly at TS restaurants. For example, Y&Y will make the sweet & sour with tofu instead of chicken. MM will make you spaghetti with marinara sauce (totally off-menu) and their bread is vegan. Also, they often have Tofutti for dessert, also off-menu.

@Bloodbound21: Check out https://vegandisneyworld.com/ for lots of good info about what's what for vegan options at WDW.

There are actually more things than are on menus, particularly at TS restaurants. For example, Y&Y will make the sweet & sour with tofu instead of chicken. MM will make you spaghetti with marinara sauce (totally off-menu) and their bread is vegan. Also, they often have Tofutti for dessert, also off-menu.
And . . . GFC will make the miso salmon with tofu instead (also not on the menu), and GFC is very easy to get an ADR for.

Several vegan choices at Skipper Canteen in MK. Their falafel is delish.

Book for 2 or 4 then modify to either 1 or 2 later. As others have posted, smallest tables are 2 tops so a solo diner will be sitting at a 2 top anyway. Sometimes the greeter will ask if you want to eat at the bar or open kitchen counter if that option is available. Whether you want to do that and give up your table is up to you and what the restaurant has to offer. I've heard eating at the open 'cooking place' at Jiko is a great experience for solo diners. You do what works for you and what you're comfortable with.

Last edited:
And . . . GFC will make the miso salmon with tofu instead (also not on the menu), and GFC is very easy to get an ADR for.

Several vegan choices at Skipper Canteen in MK. Their falafel is delish.

Just ask your TS server what can be modified. They can inquire or possibly will have a chef come out to discuss what can be made for you.

Skipper Canteen has marvelous food, I agree.

Also, when visiting a Deluxe resort, take a look at the QS cold cases. They often have vegan items and may also have packaged baked goods. Moderates and Values may, too. Don't know because we are DVC and stay at the Deluxes.

If you're up for a lavish treat, Victoria & Albert's has a wonderful vegan tasting menu. They will want to know your dislikes before you arrive and will create a personalized menu for you. I had gluten-free vegan there in May. It was yumlicious!

Use two people instead of 1 for the ADR search, you can modify it when you check in at restaurants. Boma doesn’t get super hard to get because it’s sort out of the way if you’re not at AKL or AK. I did Rodeo Round Up bbq last trip solo- so much food. They don’t really modify the size of the salads/sides for 1 person. So maybe ask for the one you really want, you can always ask for more. I literally had a 2 top table full of food. No way I could finish all of it.

Just ask your TS server what can be modified. They can inquire or possibly will have a chef come out to discuss what can be made for you.

Skipper Canteen has marvelous food, I agree.

Also, when visiting a Deluxe resort, take a look at the QS cold cases. They often have vegan items and may also have packaged baked goods. Moderates and Values may, too. Don't know because we are DVC and stay at the Deluxes.

If you're up for a lavish treat, Victoria & Albert's has a wonderful vegan tasting menu. They will want to know your dislikes before you arrive and will create a personalized menu for you. I had gluten-free vegan there in May. It was yumlicious!
We often stay at POFQ and they have a couple of vegan options that are premade, like the "tuna" sandwich (it's chickpeas), which is pretty good.

And, speaking of vegan and WDW, Blaze Pizza at DS makes a great vegan pizza.

As a solo for many trips, I wasn't aware of any trickery regarding party size for ADRs. It is okay to reserve for 2, and if it succeeds, you can do some modification thing online to make it 1? Or you just tell the CM upon showing up that it's just you? I always just tried to book for 1 and gave up when it didn't work (which was a lot).

As a solo for many trips, I wasn't aware of any trickery regarding party size for ADRs. It is okay to reserve for 2, and if it succeeds, you can do some modification thing online to make it 1? Or you just tell the CM upon showing up that it's just you? I always just tried to book for 1 and gave up when it didn't work (which was a lot).
You can search for one but if you have no luck search for two. If you get a two guest reservation tell them it's just you when you arrive. It's not a problem.

Search for 2 or 4 and make a reservation. You can immediately modify the reservation for 1. System doesn’t have any issues with this. Gotta love Disney tech lol

I solo regularly. Some restaurants don’t seem to ever list ressies for 1… Garden Grill, anyone? If I want to eat there I have to book for 4 then modify to 1.

A little more complicated with a prepay like CRT. Book for 2 then call to modify and have the second meal charge refunded.

It seems to work at Oga's. They slot you in somewhere empty with the group seating. I can also see it working at Space 220 at the bar.

As a follow-up, my 60th day was today (staying offsite) and I did get the ADR I wanted at Roundup Rodeo by adding three imaginary people to the booking. All efforts to find a solo table did not work--either no times at all, or times that my park-hopping schedule could not handle. Hope it works when I get there.

In my experience (as a solo diner most of the time) it's much harder to get ADRs for 1 than for 2.

Very often I've had to book an ADR for 2 because nothing comes up when I search for 1...
This. I always book my ADRs for 2. If i can find a friend to join me, even better.

As a follow-up, my 60th day was today (staying offsite) and I did get the ADR I wanted at Roundup Rodeo by adding three imaginary people to the booking. All efforts to find a solo table did not work--either no times at all, or times that my park-hopping schedule could not handle. Hope it works when I get there.
Seriously, go into the reservation now and click modify. Select party size of 1. It will offer you the time you booked. Change it. Done… with no worries!

Yesterday I wanted to move a Yak & Yeti ressie to a later time, dining solo. Had to make it for 6 people to get the time I wanted! Immediately modified to 1. No problem.

Woodys will probably never offer tables for 1… Garden Grill and Ohana don’t that I’ve ever seen. So I book it for however many are needed to get an open slot, then immediately modify.

I don’t make up people or pretend others couldn’t make it… I modify it! Honestly, why worry when the system is more than happy to do this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter