Are my observations at MK the same as yours?

Floridagram

DIS Veteran
I have and AP but have not been to MK in several months. (Grands are older and prefer HS and AK ) DH and I had a couple of FP so went to MK by ourselves. We had time to kill so sat people watching while we waited. I was shocked at things I saw. There were 4 people in white uniforms that sweep up trash walking together and socializing. They appeared to be from the same foreign county. They walked past a lot of popcorn. Another guy on his own was sweeping but it was very hit or miss. I am not sure if the problem was poor training or lack of supervision but was not the Disney standards of old.

At Sunshine Tree where you get the orange swirled ice cream there was the every present long line. I waited and when I could see what was going on there were 2 windows open and 5 or 6 workers. Yet the person manning the window was getting her own ice cream, no back up from the others. Then one went to fill the straws and 2 others stood there watching her and did not take the next persons order until she was done. As I was next they finally opened the 3rd window, but the guy did not know how to ring up what I wanted. So he had to stop the lady next to him, which was the only one working hard.

When we had been at HS on July 5 there were 2 registers open at the Backlot Restaurant. Are you kidding me, the summer and a holiday week and 2 places to give your order?

Clearly with all the cuts I knew they were making they have things as bare bone as possible. After they once again raised the prices this year, substantially? If this were a local restaurant or store I would not shop there any more. I have never minded paying the prices because it was Disney quality. That is surely not the same as it used to be. Thanks for letting me rant.

We were there a month ago and I couldn't disagree with you more. We found the parks to be very clean and the CMs were extremely pleasant and efficient. I can't say that it's noticably different than my first visit 20 years ago

My recent experience was ..less workers, less outwardly friendly CM’s, a bit more trash about, an overall decline in most areas. I was disappointed .. as my Expectation was higher .. and that is based on Disney’s Marketing and recent experiences.
I think that the Guests themselves .. often large, seemingly entitled groups of people, and others ...have caused an Impact on the Overall feel/changes noted. Interactions amongst CM’s and guests, even guests to guests have all declined over the years, imho. There’s plenty of great groups and guests but the Overall vibe of friendliness/kindness/respect has lessened
:( ( in over 30 on site stays)

Despite this.. I still enjoy our ( less frequent, no longer AP) visits and make a personal Choice to enjoy Disney. Thankfully, It’s Still escapism/magical to me...

Nope, been going for over 35 years and still find the parks clean and the CMs friendly and helpful. Are there times when something is missed on the ground, yep, I just stop and pick it up. There are way more people in the parks now then in the good ole days and I think people expect someone to clean up after them now so just throw things down. Are there times when CMs are distracted and might not wait on us as timely as I might want, yep, but they more often than not there is someone there when we need them. Do things get backed up at the stands, yep, but it happens everywhere and CMs are people too so there are going to be times when it's not a smooth as we would like.

I think it’s been pretty well documented on a lot of podcasts (including the Dis) that what you experienced has become the new norm and people have just gotten used to it.

I think it’s been pretty well documented on a lot of podcasts (including the Dis) that what you experienced has become the new norm and people have just gotten used to it.

So is anyone with a "podcast" an authority to say that WDW is now worse than it used to be? Not to be snarky, but if I make my own podcast and say it's the best it's ever been, does that make it so? It's subjective. I don't agree it's "well documented" about any new norm at WDW.

Last edited:
I have and AP but have not been to MK in several months. (Grands are older and prefer HS and AK ) DH and I had a couple of FP so went to MK by ourselves. We had time to kill so sat people watching while we waited. I was shocked at things I saw. There were 4 people in white uniforms that sweep up trash walking together and socializing. They appeared to be from the same foreign county. They walked past a lot of popcorn. Another guy on his own was sweeping but it was very hit or miss. I am not sure if the problem was poor training or lack of supervision but was not the Disney standards of old.

At Sunshine Tree where you get the orange swirled ice cream there was the every present long line. I waited and when I could see what was going on there were 2 windows open and 5 or 6 workers. Yet the person manning the window was getting her own ice cream, no back up from the others. Then one went to fill the straws and 2 others stood there watching her and did not take the next persons order until she was done. As I was next they finally opened the 3rd window, but the guy did not know how to ring up what I wanted. So he had to stop the lady next to him, which was the only one working hard.

When we had been at HS on July 5 there were 2 registers open at the Backlot Restaurant. Are you kidding me, the summer and a holiday week and 2 places to give your order?

Clearly with all the cuts I knew they were making they have things as bare bone as possible. After they once again raised the prices this year, substantially? If this were a local restaurant or store I would not shop there any more. I have never minded paying the prices because it was Disney quality. That is surely not the same as it used to be. Thanks for letting me rant.
I agree with people seeing what they want to see :duck:

I had a great tome in June, and I can’t wait to go back in August!

So is anyone with a "podcast" an authority to say that WDW is now worse than it used to be? Not to be snarky, but if I make my own podcast and say it's the best it's ever been, does that make it so? It's subjective. I don't agree it's "well documented" about any new norm at WDW.
Haha. No I don’t think that anyone with a podcast is an authority but considering that people like Pete and Len Testa who make a living off of people going to Disney discuss it is a pretty clear indication it’s happened. I understand that there are camps that don’t want to see things as well as groups that haven’t been going long enough to know things changed but it doesn’t change the fact that there are also people who have seen it happen.

I don’t know that chipped paint ruins your vacation but for people who were raised watching the painters flock in at the end of extra magic hours it is an indication of the change. The changes in employment to college program along with reduction of the training programs and front line management is also well documented and impacts the overall service levels. Again for some it’s not a big deal but for others who were raised with a different level of Disney it becomes obvious.

I think the comment that people see what they want to see goes a long way both directions.

Haha. No I don’t think that anyone with a podcast is an authority but considering that people like Pete and Len Testa who make a living off of people going to Disney discuss it is a pretty clear indication it’s happened. I understand that there are camps that don’t want to see things as well as groups that haven’t been going long enough to know things changed but it doesn’t change the fact that there are also people who have seen it happen.

I don’t know that chipped paint ruins your vacation but for people who were raised watching the painters flock in at the end of extra magic hours it is an indication of the change. The changes in employment to college program along with reduction of the training programs and front line management is also well documented and impacts the overall service levels. Again for some it’s not a big deal but for others who were raised with a different level of Disney it becomes obvious.

I think the comment that people see what they want to see goes a long way both directions.

Yep, the last sentence of your post I agree with. The rest, I simply don't. Just because two people who have blogs say things changed doesn't make it so. We've got a family friend born and raised in the area and has worked for both WDW and Universal for the past 8+ years and I'd bet she would disagree too. Like you said, people see what they want to see. I don't think anything has changed...except for the better.

Yep, the last sentence of your post I agree with. The rest, I simply don't. Just because two people who have blogs say things changed doesn't make it so. We've got a family friend born and raised in the area and has worked for both WDW and Universal for the past 8+ years and I'd bet she would disagree too. Like you said, people see what they want to see. I don't think anything has changed...except for the better.
I can see why you would just blow off the opinions of people who have made Disney their careers. After all how could someone who has spent years in the parks be expected to tell if things have changed. If the same animatronic has been broken for 5 years that’s not a change it’s simply the new version of the show.

If you really have a friend who was born and raised in the area and has worked for Disney I would be shocked if they said nothing changed especially if they are 30+. If not and their only experience is the Iger era then it’s possible they could say it’s the same since the pattern of his leadership has been pretty consistent. That said even growing up in Iger park era I would be hard pressed to think someone who went with any real consistency could say they haven’t noticed changes in maintenance and service standards.

Again, see it how you want to see it. Doesn't make you correct, right? I never said nothing has changed. WDW has changed a ton over the years. The question at hand is if it has changed for the better or worse. Yes, I can dismiss the opinion of someone who makes a living putting their own spin on WDW...there are people who make a living preaching self help or any other number of things...do you buy into everything they say? Their opinion is subjective. What you think and feel about the quality of what you get at WDW is 100% subjective. My subjective opinion is that WDW has improved over the years, including recent years. My opinion is that there's a lot of "nostalgia" wishing and "In my day..." and "In the good 'ol days...get off my lawn" stuff from people who just don't like change and/or want to find ways to be negative. Do I think everything at WDW is 100% perfect? Nope. I think many of the attractions could use some refreshing and updates, for example. However, I like to look at the broad picture and all the things that are there, are being done, are being built. Plus the cleanliness, which I still find top notch... the CMs, which I find the best in the industry and the entertainment I get for my money and my opinion is that WDW is better than ever. That's just my opinion. YMMV.

Something worth bringing into the conversation is how much the world outside of Disney World has changed over the years as well. When people comment that staff members are different, well, so is everybody else. One simple difference is the use of smartphones everywhere. That is going to impact human interaction in almost any situation. Personally, I have found staff to be as friendly and accommodating as ever. Some people working quick service food service have been awfully pokey, but they can be like that outside Disney World as well.
The one thing that drives me crazy every time I go to Disney is the area after the Figment ride. Parts of that have been broken for years, floor tiles are held together with tape, and the computers are from the early 2000's. That area impacts me personally, though, because I have two young children.

Again, see it how you want to see it. Doesn't make you correct, right? I never said nothing has changed. WDW has changed a ton over the years. The question at hand is if it has changed for the better or worse. Yes, I can dismiss the opinion of someone who makes a living putting their own spin on WDW...there are people who make a living preaching self help or any other number of things...do you buy into everything they say? Their opinion is subjective. What you think and feel about the quality of what you get at WDW is 100% subjective. My subjective opinion is that WDW has improved over the years, including recent years. My opinion is that there's a lot of "nostalgia" wishing and "In my day..." and "In the good 'ol days...get off my lawn" stuff from people who just don't like change and/or want to find ways to be negative. Do I think everything at WDW is 100% perfect? Nope. I think many of the attractions could use some refreshing and updates, for example. However, I like to look at the broad picture and all the things that are there, are being done, are being built. Plus the cleanliness, which I still find top notch... the CMs, which I find the best in the industry and the entertainment I get for my money and my opinion is that WDW is better than ever. That's just my opinion. YMMV.

You, of course, are entitled to your opinion as is anyone. But I don’t believe that reports of dirty parks (not filthy just not Disney clean), rude CMs or CMs not doing their job or changes in what is expected of CM’s and a lack of customer service has anything to do with nostalgia or not liking change or “get off my lawn” type of thinking. Now, if they were saying they hated the Frozen ride, WDW was going down hill ever since they got rid of 20,0000 leagues or something of that nature I could agree with you but they aren’t.

I went to Disney the first time in 1976. Just Magic Kingdom and fell in love. Has it changed since then? You bet! And very much for the better. Are there things from that trip that I miss? Sure but I know why changes are made and that, my friend, is just nostalgia because the way it was probably wasn’t better just the way it was my first trip.

Fast forward to 2002. Took dd for her first trip. And it was amazing. Clean, wonderful CMs. Busy but they were handling it to the best of their ability. Even had a few tell us they were not expecting the crowds they had that week but everything was still immaculate, the Disney customer service was still perfect.

Last trip? Well a lot of the pristine cleanliness was gone. The CMs, while still mostly friendly, seemed over worked and a few came off as rude. And when I say cleanliness was gone I don’t mean to say it was filthy, just not that Disney clean.

Cuts in employees takes its toll on any business and for any employee. And it definitely takes its toll on customer service. That isn’t nostalgia, that is fact.

Is it horrible? Probably not. Is it going to stop people from going? Probably not. But it doesn’t mean that what people are seeing isn’t legitimate.

I don’t think anyone said anything about perceived values and opinions. You can pay $50,000 for a rusted out Yugo and if it’s your dream car you’ll see the value in it. However it doesn’t change the fact you just bought a rusted out Yugo and there isn’t any debate about the condition of the car.

Something worth bringing into the conversation is how much the world outside of Disney World has changed over the years as well. When people comment that staff members are different, well, so is everybody else. One simple difference is the use of smartphones everywhere. That is going to impact human interaction in almost any situation. Personally, I have found staff to be as friendly and accommodating as ever. Some people working quick service food service have been awfully pokey, but they can be like that outside Disney World as well.
The one thing that drives me crazy every time I go to Disney is the area after the Figment ride. Parts of that have been broken for years, floor tiles are held together with tape, and the computers are from the early 2000's. That area impacts me personally, though, because I have two young children.

But here is the thing about customer service including fast food service. Disney set the standard. People that work with customers all over the world have had “Disney” training. So should they now really be set to the standard of McDonalds?

But here is the thing about customer service including fast food service. Disney set the standard. People that work with customers all over the world have had “Disney” training. So should they now really be set to the standard of McDonalds?

Yeah. I can't say I was ever treated unprofessionally or anything along those lines. Friendliness has always been at least a B+ from what I have seen in my limited experiences. Service has at times been slow in some places, but nothing worse complaining about in my mind. If I were in their position - low pay, hard work, and high demands to always be friendly, it would be hard for me to always work at 100% efficiency as well. Things are always clean and people are always friendly, so I can be a little forgiving of a minor inconvenience here or there if it helps make somebody else's day a little more tolerable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter