Are the "there's nothing left at Hollywood Studios" threads maddening to anyone else?

The Hollywood Studios threads are a bit much when the come about once a week. Maybe we should have a sticky so people can kevtch about DHS and keep it contained to one thread. It is the same as the constant threads complaining about Disney Springs. It just comes down to people thinking that Disney needs to be all things to them all the time. They can't fathom that Disney has a plethora of offerings to fit a very wide range of needs and wants. Remember all the complaining about Downtown Disney when it was in transition? The same thing is happening for DHS and it will start happening for Epcot soon. And once DHS is Disney Florida Adventure or Disney Movie Magic or Disney Film Adventure or whatever people are going to be constantly posting threads about how horrible the park is and that it is ridiculous that you can only pick one FP from Star Wars and one FP from Toy Story and one from the rest of the park and that the lines are too long and there aren't enough places to eat. And blah, blah, blah. I guess what I am trying to say is that people like to complain.

I love DHS, I have always had a fantastic time at that park. I cannot wait until the new areas open and hopefully they announce phase 3.

Also about the streetmosphere characters. I get the impression they've added a lot of them back because I was in the park 3 times in September around Irma and there was more than I have ever seen before.

I know there's tons at the park for *some* people. ToT and RnR are probably my favourites.

But personally with two toddlers who aren't going to sit through a full day of shows and only one ride they meet the height requirement for, I'd definitely prefer another day at MK, Epcot, AK or Universal.

If I could convince DH to do rider swap and ride solo it might be a different story :)

We had 2.5 parks days at DHS on our trip this year and we still didn't see everything we wanted to. I'm a little baffled by it... But I'm not a once and done. Tower of Terror needs multiple rides, for example!

People like rides and rides have more re-rideability (is that a word lol) As opposed to shows, which often have a once-and-done feeling to them for many folks

Yes. I agree.

We park hop to HS on multiple days to go on TofT and RnR, but we usually don't spend more than an hour or two at a time.

Well... if your family doesn't do rollercoasters or live entertainment shows, and could care less about Star Wars... there really isn't much left to DHS. ;)

@999_Happy_Haunts nailed the list of attractions that many people have come to know as "DHS" ; now they are all gone. When I started researching our trip, those are the things I remembered from my childhood trip OR they were things that had happened AFTER said trip and I was looking forward to them again - but they were closed. Animation Academy? Closed. Honey I Shrunk the Kids? Closed. Studio Backlot (my absolute favorite ride!!!)? Closed.

I remember going to HS when it first opened as Disney MGM. It used to feel like a real inside peak at a true place where movies and tv shows might be made. It had a theme, granted one contrived to compete with Universal Studios. But I loved the feeling I got there, especially as a child--the sense of wonder seeing warehouse props, Walt Disney's plane, the Golden Girls house! Even a store where you could buy a lamp, wardrobe piece or other prop that appeared in an episode of some show like Dallas. Ok, really dating myself here. It just doesn't feel the same. No more sense of peaking behind the Hollywood curtain. I know all the parks evolve, but HS underwent relatively rapid metamorphosis. And frankly, it has an identity crisis IMO.
Remember the Roger Rabbit theming in the backlot area? I LOVED that. There is so much gone that people probably don't even remember. The backlot tour and watching animators in what is now the launch bay could take hours once upon a time. It's definitely a park in transition that is going to turn into something way different. I'm not complaining as I can't wait for Star Wars but remembering all the details, former shows, tours, etc... I can identify with people feeling what is missing.

When I went as a kid, I loved MGM. The backlot tour was my favorite ride and I loved the Honey I Shrunk the Kids area.

Now, with those gone and GMR as well, about all I want to do is TSMM, ST, and Frozen Sing Along and the last one starts to feel a little tired after a couple times. I’m not into creepy/horror, so ToT is a no go. Thought RnR might be interesting, but heard there’s really loud music, so another pass.

I am looking forward to TSL and Star Wars Land, but for now, even with dinner at the 50s Prime Time Cafe, there’s not enough to fill anywhere near a whole day for me.

I get it feeling like they're just closing and leaving a shell of a park, but it is a bit annoying to have threads all the time about it.

I still love DHS; even with all the closures it has a great atmosphere and I don't think I could ever skip it. Plus, I'm a Tower of Terror junkie.

No. If a subject doesn't interest me, I pass it by. Repeated threads about a theme park that is half closed don't even reach the mildly irritating threshold, not anywhere close to "maddening".

Doesn't bother me at all - same with AK. To 'me', they have always been half day parks. JMO
Everyone has their likes and dislikes, preferences, etc. I take it the same as a large majority of people saying DHS doesn't have any decent quick serve restaurants - again, it's personal reasons, and hardly registers with me.

We just got back on the 18th from a 10 day stay(2 days were in the Contemporary due to Irma) But we did a full day and then another 1/2 day at HS. There was plenty to do! We even didn't get to do a few things. I think its a great park that will get even better every year for the next 3 years. I do miss back lot, CC and GMR but times change.

It does not bother me because for some it is a half day park, for some its a multi-day park, for some, it's a "skip it altogether" park. Everyone's interests are different. For us, it is a half day park. We don't like major thrill rides, so TOT and RNR are out for us. Kids are too old for disney jr. show, have no interest in Frozen show and have done the little mermaid so many times they are sick of it. We still enjoy the park and do tsmm, star tours and muppets. We enjoy sci fi and brown derby. So we usually go for the morning and have lunch then head out. Sometimes we come back for fireworks at night and a few more times on tsmm.

It does not bother me because for some it is a half day park, for some its a multi-day park, for some, it's a "skip it altogether" park. Everyone's interests are different. For us, it is a half day park. We don't like major thrill rides, so TOT and RNR are out for us. Kids are too old for disney jr. show, have no interest in Frozen show and have done the little mermaid so many times they are sick of it. We still enjoy the park and do tsmm, star tours and muppets. We enjoy sci fi and brown derby. So we usually go for the morning and have lunch then head out. Sometimes we come back for fireworks at night and a few more times on tsmm.

This is exactly what we plan to do. Only this time we're trying PrimeTime for lunch for the first time after several visits to Sci Fi. :thumbsup2

I am going for the night shows when we are there in December. We don't really do the singing/dancing themed shows, meets, or coasters/thrills, so the only other things we'll do are Muppets and Startours. I am hoping to fill about five hours there, including dinner at Sci-fi. I've heard great things about Fantasmic, and we've never been to the park before so hopefully it will be fine. I enjoy the theming/imagineering aspect of Disney so as long as that's there we're cool.

While I can certainly understand those who still love DHS, and see it as more than a full day park, I cannot really understand the feeling of the OP. As noted throughout this thread, there have been many attractions that have been taken away from DHS (along with its entire atmosphere and theme), so why would it be surprising, or upsetting, if some folks (like me) see it as less than a half day park? Fortunately, we would never think of WDW without PH, so we'll spend two or three hours at DHS, do TSMM, RnR, TOT and ST, then mosey on to another park.

And that's considering that our favorite Disney World memory ever took place there:

I am so jealous of your trip numbers! I haven't been since 1993, but next family trip is at the end of this year! I have a toddler (almost 3), so we're doing one day at HS, but she still takes naps early afternoon- I don't know how we'll fit in everything I'd like to do with her in 1/2 a day, and that's even knowing she won't sit through some shows and can't go on some rides. I want to do as much of the Star Wars stuff as we can, + Disney Junior show, Toy Story Mania . . . we probably won't fit in everything before she crashes, but who knows!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter