Are you a sarcastic person?

Compared to my wife, no. But TV News is one of those jobs where sarcasm is kind of a safely valve when you are covering horrific stories. So if you aren't sarcastic when you start in the business you will learn to be.

If I'm around people who I don't know well, no I'm not sarcastic. Only around folks I know pretty well, and then it's a humorous sarcastic, or at least that's my intention.

Yes , it's just a part of my personality. Other family membersy(mine) are too. I have noticed that my husband's family has NO real true sarcastic person in their family. It's explains so much............... LOL!

My sister and I are *so* sarcastic with each other, you'd think we couldn't stand each other. It's just fun, and we both know it. I try not to be sarcastic with anyone else because I'm afraid they won't get the humor and will get their feelings hurt. I cringe at the thought of hurting someone with words.

But TV News is one of those jobs where sarcasm is kind of a safely valve when you are covering horrific stories. So if you aren't sarcastic when you start in the business you will learn to be.

It's similar in nursing, but I wouldn't describe it as sarcasm, just Really Inappropriate humor. I left the ER this summer, and joined a department that has a lot of beloved former ER nurses as well. There's some sarcasm, but mostly it's a bunch of dirty jokes. That's our safety valve. Since joining the new department, I have heard how much the influx of ER nurses has changed the culture. Holy cow, they can be so uptight, I call them "pearl clutchers." The newer, former ER nurses have been warned to be mindful of what we say depending on who is around :listen: :rolleyes1

It's similar in nursing, but I wouldn't describe it as sarcasm, just Really Inappropriate humor. I left the ER this summer, and joined a department that has a lot of beloved former ER nurses as well. There's some sarcasm, but mostly it's a bunch of dirty jokes. That's our safety valve. Since joining the new department, I have heard how much the influx of ER nurses has changed the culture. Holy cow, they can be so uptight, I call them "pearl clutchers." The newer, former ER nurses have been warned to be mindful of what we say depending on who is around :listen: :rolleyes1
My mom was a Surgical Nurse so I COMPLETELY understand. As a teen I recall her coming home and I asked how her day went and she said she had a case that went for hours, she was exhausted, it was some complicated surgery that went perfectly, no complications in the OR, but the patient died in the recovery room from an unrelated medical condition. As she put it "the operation was a success, but the patient died"

Call me a pearl-clutcher then because I think there's a limit to how filthy the banter in a workplace should get. And since it likely would be roundly criticized if a group of men did it, I'm not sure why it should be OK for a group of women.

Call me a pearl-clutcher then because I think there's a limit to how filthy the banter in a workplace should get. And since it likely would be roundly criticized if a group of men did it, I'm not sure why it should be OK for a group of women.

You don't have to understand who I am, what me and my colleagues do, how we cope, and how we bond. I get that. But that's how we do, and we are family because of it. I honestly wouldn't expect anyone on the outside to get it. Even our spouses don't get it unless they also work in our particular field.

I think because the ER is not primarily women staff, but a good mix of both sexes, that helps keep it from being the back-biting environment that I have only heard about in different departments. Apparently that's how my new department used to operate. Along w/ being warned about what we say and who we say it in front of, we have also been told that we work harder, faster, and complain less about our assignments than those who used to be there. We are used to real stress, and know how to focus on the larger picture. I may work 40 hrs a week now, but I feel like I'm retired, and I am loving every minute of it. :cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter