Are you obligated by family to travel for the Thanksgiving and/or Christmas holidays?

In our family, it is the opposite - we're obligated NOT to travel, because the traditions of holidays at home have somehow developed a life of their own, independent of whether anyone involved actually enjoys the hosting and all of the work involved. I hope to change that if the responsibility of hosting ever falls to me, but right now it is still our parents' generation making the decisions so we have the traditional T-giving and Christmas at MIL's house every year.

For the past 26 years my wife and I have been obligated to travel about 500 miles round trip for Thanksgiving and about 350 miles round trip for Christmas.

For Thanksgiving in my opinion it is ridiculous. My in laws are the ones that host, yet live 250 miles away from where they host. Every year they rent a small event hall, an old house converted into an event hall, and everyone goes there. In the beginning the in laws hosted at my mother in laws mothers house that the in laws owned. Once my mother in laws mother passed away and they sold the house no one there stepped up to host. They all just expected my in laws to continue to host and refused to travel.

Christmas is also a little on the ridiculous side. We always go to my brother in laws. His wife hosts a big Christmas Eve party primarily for their local friends and her parents. It was so hard when my kids were little. Having to somehow get all the presents there without the kids seeing. Eventually we started coming home on Christmas Eve getting home around midnight every year. It made for a less than relaxing Christmas morning.

Not once has any of the family we travel to offered to bear the burden of traveling, even on an alternating schedule.

I really wish we could start our own family traditions.

You don't HAVE to do ANYTHING just because other people expect it. The situation you've described is, honestly, ridiculous. Your ILs live WITH you, yet because all the rest of your ILs refuse to travel, you AND your ILs "have to" travel 250 miles away, rent a hall, and put on a massive Thanksgiving feast?

That's dumb. Especially if your ILs are getting quite elderly now. Especially if putting this on every year has become more and more difficult for them.

Nobody can take advantage of you without your permission. This has continued because you have CHOSEN to go along with it.

What will happen if you just say, "Enough. Not this year. We're not going"? Will they all get upset? Probably yes. But you know what? They'll get over it. The people who really want to see your ILs will come to see them where you are instead.

You CAN start your own family traditions. You SHOULD start your own family traditions. Just because this is how it's always been in your extended family doesn't mean that's how it always SHOULD be. Stand up and take charge of your own life.

For the first 11 years of our marriage, DH & I knocked ourselves out every holiday season and we'd travel to go visit my ILs for 1 holiday and then my parents for the other holiday. My ILs and my parents did not live in the same area and it was about a 5 hour drive in opposite directions to see them from where we lived at the time.

Then we moved to another state and had kids and you know what? We could totally not afford to travel. Nor did we have enough vacation time in order to travel. So I told everybody that if they wanted to see the grandchild and see us, they'd have to come to us. My parents were really ticked off about it. But they got over it because they wanted to see their grandchild, so they sucked it up and dealt with it. And the world continued to rotate on its axis. Everybody adapted and got over it.

When the kids were a little older and we actually had vacation time, we started to travel occasionally at Thanksgiving to visit 1 set of relatives. Except for ONE Christmas, we've always celebrated Christmas at OUR house. WHY? Because I was just NOT going to deal with the nonsense of getting all of the Santa gifts sent to a relatives' house so my little kids wouldn't see the Santa gifts in the trunk of the car. My parents were regularly mad about that, but again, they got over it when they saw that DH & I were not budging on this.

Besides my youngest brother, we all live in the same city, so no travel required. My brother and his fiancé come here when we’re getting together.

No, we don’t have to go anywhere. I like it that way. We use to have to do my husband’s family’s meal at 1pm and then I’d have to leave early to go home and start cooking for my family’s dinner at 5:00. My mom’s birthday was on Christmas so my sister and I always did all the work. My brother’s wife just sat and watched for 20 years and never offered to help. Never brought any food. His 3rd wife does the same. They just waltz in like royalty, sit down, eat, and then leave. My brother and sister both refuse to host dinner and expect me to. I did it a few times and then I realized I was doing 90% of the cooking and all the clean up and they all just ate and left. I’m done. Now we just have our son, daughter-in-law and granddaughters over and that’s it.

We haven't traveled for Thanksgiving for many years.
We have never traveled Christmas Day. We are the family members that live away from everyone else, not too far but not in the same area to easily visit on that day. When we had kids we made a decision to have Christmas Day at home. It's just easier that way.
We do travel during the holidays- we visit family over the Thanksgiving weekend, and during the week between Christmas and New Year's. We are happy to do it so it's not really an obligation for us.

This year is different, we are traveling Christmas Day to spend it with family. Now that the kids are older I have no problem doing it. It might become the new tradition.

OP if you want to start your own traditions just do it. Life is too short and sometimes you have to put your happiness over other's happiness. You've done it their way long enough, start doing it your way.

But in your position....even though it has to be tougher with your in-laws actually living with you.....one way to break out of the cycle is to go away for the holiday. I'd suggest Thanksgiving....and see how it feels.
We have tried traveling for both holidays on different years and got the stink eye both times.

We have tried traveling for both holidays on different years and got the stink eye both times.
If you truly want out of this, you have to be okay with the stink eye.
I’ve already told my kids that once they are out and have families of their own, seeing me on Christmas Day is optional. My kids’ favourite Christmas ever was 2020, when the pandemic forced us all to have the holiday completely at home, just the five of us. I completely understand. It was my favourite in my 49 years too. They can see me at other times over the holidays. I want them and their future children to know the joy we had last Christmas.

I've told my own kids I wanted Christmastime with them, but they can do whatever they want for the other holidays of the year when they move out and go away...and my Christmas is flexible as a day between mid-Dec and early Jan, so I see them every winter without me traveling (so I can travel and see them in the summers)...

A few years ago our kids were in two different states. Colorado and Florida. My eldest lived adjacent to her in laws and thanksgiving was their big get together. My kid in Florida was a CP so no way she’d get off, so for several years, I’d make a small turkey breast and we’d Skype with the kids. Travel on thanksgiving gives me hives.

I should add, my wife and I retired in July and this will be the first Thanksgiving in 42 years that we aren't working on Thanksgiving. We have always shifted Thanksgiving to the Saturday after so everyone can be here. DD is the only one who can come this year, and Thanksgiving is a normal working day for her, so it will be the Saturday after again.

I really wish we could start our own family traditions.

So what's stopping you?

No one is obligated at attend any event. Just tell 'em you're thru with the ridiculous travel commitment and want to stay closer to home.

+++++++++

I've since read further replies and it appears to me that you really DON'T want to break this "obligation," just complain about it. Several excuses, about getting the stink eye, or other nonsense.

Last edited:
So what's stopping you?

No one is obligated at attend any event. Just tell 'em you're thru with the ridiculous travel commitment and want to stay closer to home.

+++++++++

I've since read further replies and it appears to me that you really DON'T want to break this "obligation," just complain about it. Several excuses, about getting the stink eye, or other nonsense.
Yes it makes no sense to get pushed around like that.

So what's stopping you?

+++++++++

I get it...you want to see family, but for once, you want them to do the work to do it...and if not the work, at least some absolute appreciation for the burden you've taken on all these years...

At holidays, everyone usually likes seeing everyone in families and it's lots of fun...but like the free rider problem in economics, family members like to not have to be the far traveling or hosting ones (aka, the ones with costs for those benefits) to do it...when you have to do both (travel and host), like OP does for Thanksgiving, well, that's gotta hurt, especially if you don't get a lot of extra love and thanks for it...

We alternate sides of the family for Thanksgiving instead of trying to get two place and eat two Thanksgiving meals (no one is happy if you eat dinner at one place and eat dessert at the other.) My DH's family traditionally had something on Christmas Eve and my mom would do Christmas day, so that was an easy call...until we moved 6 years ago and my MIL said we were hosting Christmas Eve going forward...but now she does something on Christmas Day and gets upset that we don't come.

Easter has been at our house for the past 6 years with both sides of the family. It's an easy holiday to host. The hardest part is remembering where the candy filled eggs are hidden.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter