Are you sending your kids to school next month?

My DM was.....displeased with our decision to keep the kids home. She has jumped on the social interaction bandwagon and feels they need to go to in person classes for that reason. I agree social interaction is important but school is not going to look like school this year. They're going to be in masks 6 feet apart and can't even eat lunch with their friends. How is that better than staying home and texting with their friends?

Tragically, a recently graduated student committed suicide earlier this summer and my mother has now convinced herself it is due to the covid induced social isolation (I have heard absolutely no allegations that this is the case) and thinks DD14 will become suicidal doing online school in the basement (aka her fully finished bedroom with en suite full bathroom) 5 hours a day.
And frankly , for all those claiming that social interaction is the reason for returning to school .. why can’t those people have kids in their homes and assume the risk themselves in smaller numbers ? I don’t disagree that social interaction is integral to our mental health . What I have a harder time justifying is that to achieve said social interaction we all have to send them back into school with all the inherent exposure and risk .

While I don't at all think kids should be in school, the argument that they should isn't just because of social interaction. Some parents have to go back to work and can't leave small kids on their own all day. Other kids (with IEPs or who are low income, or experiencing homelessness) are going to suffer longterm or permanent consequences from a year without school.
I don’t disagree with you in the least . I just think we needed to find solutions for those particular issues . I don’t know that full scale reopening is the answer .

And frankly , for all those claiming that social interaction is the reason for returning to school .. why can’t those people have kids in their homes and assume the risk themselves in smaller numbers ? I don’t disagree that social interaction is integral to our mental health . What I have a harder time justifying is that to achieve said social interaction we all have to send them back into school with all the inherent exposure and risk .

I am leaning this way as well. I don't know if the "back to school experience" will be more harmful for mental health. We ALL want school to resume so kids can socialize, but school will look very different than it did last fall.

If they go back now, I worry about the impact it will have. Everyone wearing masks, emphasis on cleaning, not being able to be close to friends, no lunch in cafeteria (so you can't socialize with kids in other classes), plus if they are doing a hybrid model then they will never see half the kids who are in the other group attending different days.

I also worry about the stress of catching the virus and how the kids will pick up on the importance of not spreading it. Will they feel anxiety about it from all the talk of social distancing, keep your mask on, you coughed go to the nurse to isolate in the covid room, wash hands again, step away from your friend etc.

Last edited:

I am leaning this way as well. I don't know if the "back to school experience" will be more harmful for mental health. We ALL want school to resume so kids can socialize, but school will look very different than it did last fall.

If they go back now, I worry about the impact it will have. Everyone wearing masks, emphasis on cleaning, not being able to be close to friends, no lunch in cafeteria (so you can't socialize with kids in other classes), plus if they are doing a hybrid model then they will never see half the kids who are in the other group attending different days.

I also worry about the stress of catching the virus and how the kids will pick up on the importance of not spreading it. Will they feel anxiety about it from all the talk of social distancing, keep your mask on, wash hands again, step away from your friend etc.

Everything you posted is on point. They made school sound like prison and I am only half joking. :)

When I see that people think their kids' mental health is being harmed by staying home, I can't help but wonder what home life is like, if it makes your school aged child have mental health problems? Most young kids love being at home. I remember summer breaks and holiday breaks being awesome, even in high school. I was a good student and enjoyed learning, and am very outgoing and social, but given the choice, most kids I know would rather be home.

Now if people are saying the pandemic in general is haveing an effect on mental health, I would agree with that. But returning to school and pretending the bad is over won't change that. We're still in a pandemic, even if we pretend we're not.

When I see that people think their kids' mental health is being harmed by staying home, I can't help but wonder what home life is like, if it makes your school aged child have mental health problems? Most young kids love being at home. I remember summer breaks and holiday breaks being awesome, even in high school. I was a good student and enjoyed learning, and am very outgoing and social, but given the choice, most kids I know would rather be home.

Now if people are saying the pandemic in general is haveing an effect on mental health, I would agree with that. But returning to school and pretending the bad is over won't change that. We're still in a pandemic, even if we pretend we're not.

You're missing the factor that most of these kids haven't had playdates or interaction with their peers since March.

Maybe they ARE doing the best they can for their own kids, but are concerned for the kids with parents who don't care, who aren't trying to help with kids' school work, maybe aren't feeding them well, and in some cases physically abusing them.

And while kids do tend to love time home on holiday, it's very different over the long haul. It does take a toll.

I don't know what the answer is. But it's a valid concern.

Everything you posted is on point. They made school sound like prison and I am only half joking. :)
As far back as when I was in school, my friends and I used to half-joke that our school was turning into a prison. Between the cameras around every corner, full-time security guards, having to wear ID badges around our necks, locker and bag searches, lead-lined windows, strict security protocols, and the move towards metal detectors, clear backpacks and the like, there was a sense that schools (or the students within) were dangerous. And this was all pre-Columbine BEFORE THERE WERE MASS SHOOTINGS IN SCHOOLS. Once that started security measures got even tighter and I have often wondered what kind of psychological effect active shooter drills have on a six year old. Now we’re adding contagion to the lists of threats in the school environment and all the omnipresent protocols that go with it, so our children will spend all day hiding from an invisible killer while simultaneously being ready to jump away from their desks and huddle in the corner to hide from another type of armed killer. At some point it gets to be too much and the damage to mental health is going to outweigh whatever education they’re supposedly receiving when they’re not neurotically washing their hands for the twelfth time or hiding in a dark coat closet.

My DM was.....displeased with our decision to keep the kids home. She has jumped on the social interaction bandwagon and feels they need to go to in person classes for that reason. I agree social interaction is important but school is not going to look like school this year. They're going to be in masks 6 feet apart and can't even eat lunch with their friends. How is that better than staying home and texting with their friends?

Tragically, a recently graduated student committed suicide earlier this summer and my mother has now convinced herself it is due to the covid induced social isolation (I have heard absolutely no allegations that this is the case) and thinks DD14 will become suicidal doing online school in the basement (aka her fully finished bedroom with en suite full bathroom) 5 hours a day.

I think that we are giving kids too little credit. Kids are very adaptable and especially in this day and age of technology, keeping in touch with others is soooo easy. We didn't have texting, skype, emails, etc. Heck, we were not even allowed to be on the phone for very long "just in case" someone is trying to get a hold of us. Yes, I am that old. I went all summer playing outside without anyone with me. We just did not live close enough to any kid that I knew to play with. Kids will be just fine on their own if they have the right forms of entertaining themselves. If all they do is sit in front of a screen and zombie out, then that can turn their brains to mush. Kids that use their imagination can benefit from this time alone. Get them science kits or anything else that can challenge them. Have them help with meal planning and shopping and cooking. Anything that they can do to get a sense of accomplishment like a puzzle, will help them more then anything. And it keeps them safe.

I feel like my daughters are being called into a war zone

Tbis is how I feel as a teacher. I am counting down the days until I enter “war.” I am planning an early birthday party for DS9 and family pictures.

I work with a population that even people who think schools should be closed says probably “need” to be there. This is a population I have a passion for and, no, I cannot quit without far reaching consequences for my school, those kids, myself and my workplace. If it was that easy, you would probably see most teachers quitting, honestly.

Mu school has seen the light a little and have added some precautions (allowing masks for some teachers if you want), but it is not going to be enough. I just hope they make good decisions about to mitigate all this and all the (inevitable) illness (normal and Covid, because how can we tell the difference?). I am at the mercy of my parents and their decision making, and they don’t want their kids to miss and lose out of what they need!

When I was a kid summer was not for school so of course I loved the freedom then. But when it was school time being at home like what is going on I can say would have been different. Did I like the one off inclement weather days? Sure. Was it nice to watch The Price is Right when I was home sick? Sure. Would I have wanted to be home 24/7 instead of a school? Nope nadda no way.

I don't think we can compare summer and holiday time and being at home to an entire school year. And if you asked kids who did do home school or virtual schools before this pandemic you'd find ones that craved the traditional school setting.

All that being said that's not be advocating for school buildings to be open but I don't think what you are talking about is the same as what this upcoming school season is entailing. You're not comparing tit for tat IMO.

I understand your point, but sports and activities are often tied to school, and those have been cancelled as well. I know for me, being isolated was very very difficult and the first time I was able to see friends it was like a cloud had lifted. I teach teens, and many times sports, band, choir, peer groups, etc., are their lifeline....even with kids who have a stable home environment. For kids who don't....not opening schools is very detrimental. I absolutely agree with you that there are no good answers, though. Opening schools isn't safe, not opening schools isn't safe in different ways. Perhaps schools shouldn't be a source of so many resources (mental health, activities, sports, socialization, food), but unfortunately, they are. :( I guess we just need to ride this out the best we can, but remember to check in on everybody and help each other out.

Most of which kids? I literally don't know a single person who stayed at home consistently all summer.

My kids have literally only socialized with their cousins and one kid from the neighborhood in person, between March 17 and today. Before we decided to let the kids hang out, we talked with my SIL and BIL, and the mom of the neighborhood boy about our movements and interactions with the world. Everyone felt comfortable expanding their bubble, and before we schedule meet ups we parents touch base about what our movements have been since the last time and make sure everyone is comfortable. Few kids in my area are just randomly hanging out in groups. We are also in a town that has NOT experienced a new COVID hotspot since things started opening back up again (In a few of the surrounding towns we have had notable new positives/hotspots - three from parties that are being investigated and contact traced, and three from teachers that tested positive within a couple of weeks of ESY summer school starting).

I don't think we can compare summer and holiday time and being at home to an entire school year. And if you asked kids who did do home school or virtual schools before this pandemic you'd find ones that craved the traditional school setting.

Here's the thing I feel like 90% of the discussions around the school year are missing - IF WE GET THIS RIGHT it will not be for the full school year. That is a HUGE IF but assuming we don't throw kids to the fire, and adults are smart(er) about precautions and modeling good precautions for their kids....there's a decent chance that schools could resume something closer to "normal" in the second half of the year. If we mess it up, and schools become COVID petri dishes, yes we are going to find ourselves singing this song long into the spring.

I understand your point, but sports and activities are often tied to school, and those have been cancelled as well. I know for me, being isolated was very very difficult and the first time I was able to see friends it was like a cloud had lifted. I teach teens, and many times sports, band, choir, peer groups, etc., are their lifeline....even with kids who have a stable home environment. For kids who don't....not opening schools is very detrimental. I absolutely agree with you that there are no good answers, though. Opening schools isn't safe, not opening schools isn't safe in different ways. Perhaps schools shouldn't be a source of so many resources (mental health, activities, sports, socialization, food), but unfortunately, they are. :( I guess we just need to ride this out the best we can, but remember to check in on everybody and help each other out.

Slightly off topic but the bolded is so very true. The schools are meant to educate children, that is it. They were never designed to feed your children (outside of lunch since it happens mid-day) or bethe primary resource for their physical or mental health. They shouldn't be the only source for extra-curricular activities. Over the past couple of decades we have moved far too much out of the homes where these things belong and into the schools where they don't. It isn't sustainable and it sets up a single point of failure which is never a good scenario.

"I literally don't know a single person who stayed at home consistently all summer."

I'm in NYC. We haven't gone anywhere since March. I don't know anyone who has gone anywhere since March.

"I literally don't know a single person who stayed at home consistently all summer."

I'm in NYC. We haven't gone anywhere since March. I don't know anyone who has gone anywhere since March.

Ok. And we haven't and I don't know a single person who stayed home ALL SUMMER LONG.

I do not know you. I do not know the people you know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter