• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Arrival Day Plans

justme0729

DIS Veteran
We officially have booked our first trip to Aulani for 8 nights over spring break! We will be arriving after a 9.5 hour flight at 2:45pm Hawaii time from Chicago. What would your plan be for the first day? I'm thinking we will get the rental car from the airport, maybe stop at a grocery store for water/ snacks, and do either a room service dinner or dinner at Ama Ama.

Thanks for any thoughts!

We got in from LA very late on our arrival day, so didn't do much. However, we will still beat the next day from overdoing it at Disneyland and the late arrival. We just slept in. Well DH and DS slept in; I got up for a 10am spa appointment. Great way to deal with jet lag:) We just chilled by the pool and beach. We had an early dinner reservation at Ama Ama, because I knew we would be tired. I wouldn't plan much else except relaxing.

Just went to Aulani and have some words of advise what if we had followed would have made our first day better:

1) PACK A POOL/DAY BAG!!! We are DVC veterans and know better but just didn't plan and my husband wore jeans. Well our room wasn't ready until 4:15 and we arrived around 1pm. we thought, no problem we'll get lunch, sit inside in air conditioning (sorry that isn't really a reality...everything's open, it's Hawaii). He was miserable.

2) There is a pre-arrival lounge with showers, changing rooms etc for your day bag etc, but it really isn't big enough to "lounge". it had limited space.

So pack that pool bag and go to the pool while waiting for your room!

Our arrival day we just hung out at the resort and relaxed. We didn't get in until the evening, we just had a little walk around the pool area and cooked a frozen pizza for dinner. The next day I was up at way too early o'clock ;)

Just went to Aulani and have some words of advise what if we had followed would have made our first day better:

1) PACK A POOL/DAY BAG!!! We are DVC veterans and know better but just didn't plan and my husband wore jeans. Well our room wasn't ready until 4:15 and we arrived around 1pm. we thought, no problem we'll get lunch, sit inside in air conditioning (sorry that isn't really a reality...everything's open, it's Hawaii). He was miserable.

2) There is a pre-arrival lounge with showers, changing rooms etc for your day bag etc, but it really isn't big enough to "lounge". it had limited space.

So pack that pool bag and go to the pool while waiting for your room!

Great advice! And yes, we fly in from FL, so you will be tired but the pools will be inviting. If your party is just adults, it's nice to sit at one of the 2 lounges in the early evening when the live music starts and when you get tired, just schlep up to the room and fall asleep! Like TagsMissy said, you will likely be up VERY early your first morning or 2. Or 3. :cutie:

Our arrival day, we got settled into our room, explored the resort and had sunset hour drinks and apps at the Olelo room. We then sat and enjoyed the music. After a long day of travel we went to bed early and were up early the next morning.

I would book AmaAma another day, its too nice and expensive to not enjoy it because you are tired from a long day of travelling. By the time you get your bags and get your car and buy groceries and drive to Aulani (likely through some traffic) its going to be pretty late in your normal time zone.

We officially have booked our first trip to Aulani for 8 nights over spring break! We will be arriving after a 9.5 hour flight at 2:45pm Hawaii time from Chicago. What would your plan be for the first day? I'm thinking we will get the rental car from the airport, maybe stop at a grocery store for water/ snacks, and do either a room service dinner or dinner at Ama Ama.

Thanks for any thoughts!
I've got probably that same flight number booked for my trip with the same arrival time (not too many non-stops per day from ORD to HNL). My plan is to check in, unpack, and enjoy the view of the ocean. I'll probably do dinner at Ulu Cafe and head to bed fairly early.

I would book AmaAma another day, its too nice and expensive to not enjoy it because you are tired from a long day of travelling. By the time you get your bags and get your car and buy groceries and drive to Aulani (likely through some traffic) its going to be pretty late in your normal time zone.

I second these points!

Yes, arrival day we're always tired! We come from further, so I'm usually up for close to 24 hours by the time I get to bed the first night.

We always stop at Target on the way from the airport (or check in and then I run over, but often I'm just too tired so would rather get it over with). We get snacks, drinks, breakfast food, stuff for sandwiches, and of course some alcohol (saves a ton to bring drinks to the pool in my little soft cooler I got at the Walmart there years ago).

I'd save a special dinner for another night. We do something casual (last trip I just made grilled cheese with bacon for dinner for my youngest and me, we showered and relaxed). Maybe order pizza or something from carry out or hop across the street to one of the casual places to eat.

Thanks for any thoughts!

We stayed in Waikiki for our first few days, and did some island hopping before heading to Aulani. We flew from Kauai back to Oahu and arrived around 12:30pm, then did essentially what you're proposing - picked up our rental car, stopped for lunch and groceries in Kapolei, and got to Aulani around 4pm. Our room was ready when we arrived, which worked out well. We were mid-way through our trip so we ended up doing laundry, exploring the resort, and then walking over to Pizza Corner for quick and easy dinner that night. We also wanted to explore the shopping/dining area across the street early on so we knew what our options were in the immediate vicinity.

Flying from the east coast (Buffalo), we also arrived around 2:45pm on our first day as well. We were ready to crash by 8:30pm and were wide awake by 5am. Happened the first 2-3 days, but we were pretty much adjusted after that.

We've come in at Christmas on that same flight the last few years... given that the day normally started around 4 am, we're pretty tired.

Our standard arrival day is, pick up car, drop the family at the resort for pool time while I head to the store to stock up. Early dinner (5:30 ish) at Makahiki and then early bed.

Light first day means that we're ready to hit it hard the next... no jet lag

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter