Ashamed to go to Disney without kids

My first trip was in the early 90s with a couple of friends. Then when I got married, my hubby and I went for several years before we had kids. I never once felt that there was anything wrong or weird going without kids. It is an amusement park after all and we have gone to other amusement parks as adults. Most places, unless they are specifically built for toddlers, are made for people of all ages. Places like WDW and US have many, many things for adults to do without kids, and this includes all of the rides. There is no maximum age on any ride at WDW. I am not really a big drinker and will have maybe 1 or 2 drinks by the pool during my whole trip and I don't just focus on more "adult" type things. I go on Dumbo and the Winnie the Pooh ride, I don't care what others think and honestly, most people probably do not even notice you or care if you a child with you or not. I don't let myself feel guilty about things that I do like going to WDW. I am not hurting anyone and am doing nothing wrong. Guilt is for when you know that you have done something wrong, like hurt someone. Go and enjoy your vacations with the thousands of other adults without children.

63 year old here been going to WDW for 40 Years! The last 26 of those with Kids. In seven weeks we are going again this time with no kids and we can't wait! We have three character meals booked. Parade watching parties booked, so we can jump up and down and wave at the floats. Lots of money put aside for Ugly Sweaters and presents for us. WDW is for all ages and all party sizes. Please do not feel guilty, go and have the time of your life!

do you think all that theming is meant for kids? the Epcot Wine and Food Festival or World Showcase for that matter? adults with kids are too busy keeping an eye on junior or should be to take it all in - much of the Disney magic is intentionally geared to bring in adults without children - so consider yourself targeted and warmly welcomed

Single... 44 years old man here. Been going to Disney solo at least once a year for the last decade. As an extreme introvert it took me a couple of visits to realize that those feelings were, at least for me, my fear of how other people saw me. And then I realize that the vast majority of people don't even pay attention to the other guests. Granted I don't meet the characters I haven't gotten over my fear of judgement for that yet. But I go on Small World at least once a trip. ;)

As a fellow introvert who used to shirk characters, they are very good at adjusting the interaction. Though yes, it's hard to get over waiting in line for Cinderella and not feel like a bunch of people are staring at you.

I made my first autograph book for my last visit. I was still slightly embarrassed (my own issue) about asking characters for their signatured. Anna tried to get me to loosen up with saying "I don't judge". But my head just wouldn't let me respond to get the two way interaction 😅.

I have another autograph book for my next visit and I hope I can give the characters a better interaction (as much as they try to give me).

I think folks are conflating introversion with shyness, which is a common mistake. Introversion just means you gain energy from solitude and start to feel drained after too much socializing. I’m very outgoing but I’m exhausted easily in large groups. I find as an introvert that solo trips to the World are ideal because I can control the amount of interaction with people I get. One on one interactions like character meet and greets are ideal for introverts because these are short, focused encounters. I did a few on my solo trip last month and had a blast...ime characters have a bit more fun with adult guests because they can let a little more loose than they can with kids.

If you’re worried about being awkward, clothing is a great icebreaker. Two of my favorite character interactions ever happened on that last trip because of what I was wearing. I did the Disney Visa M&G at Epcot with Mickey and Goofy, wearing an Evil Queen shirt, and Mickey’s reaction was hilarious—he hid behind the curtain and kept peeking out and only came back when I reassured him it was just a shirt. I also went to Villains After Hours in a Dr Facilier inspired cosplay and met Ariel before the party since I knew no characters would be available. She gushed about how cute my outfit was and made me twirl lol. I got some great PhotoPass pics from it.

Also characters get excited about taking selfies with you; I got some really cute ones with Baymax and with Mickey and Goofy.

I love going by myself and with other adults. Honestly my least fav trip was with kids - although they were not the issue it was their stuffy parents lol.

I have issues with the M&Gs too as I feel awkward and never really know what to say. I found some good things to ask about on Kenny the Pirates site and use some of those. Otherwise, I prefer fur characters as it is easier for me to suspend my adult brain and enjoy messing around with Tigger that it is for me to do that with the face characters.

I do like F&W but I am not much of a drinker either and I don't do the big thrill rides (why I love WDW)

I'm a kid at heart and have to "adult" a lot in my regular world. I don't have kids - and I probably never will but that won't stop me from enjoying things that I love. Fight through the uncomfortable and I promise it is worth it!

I'm a kid at heart and have to "adult" a lot in my regular world. I don't have kids - and I probably never will but that won't stop me from enjoying things that I love. Fight through the uncomfortable and I promise it is worth it!

This. A lot of people don't get why adults go to Disney when there's more "adult" theme parks like Cedar Point. But I've been to Cedar Point. I'm a thrill ride guy, so I had a lot of fun. Thing is, I prefer variety. I like the few thrill rides available at Disney World, but I like the slower rides too because they all offer some level of something I don't get to experience often (I'm terrible at video games but still have fun on TSM). I'm really looking forward to visiting GE (I did get all of the paid experiences admittedly, but even if I didn't, I would be happy just to explore the land). I feel like Disney offers that variety of thrill and simple rides that I crave and when I can't find a FP, I still have options of something else to do. And that includes meet & greets (man did that first trip really change my perspective after visiting just a few characters).

This. A lot of people don't get why adults go to Disney when there's more "adult" theme parks like Cedar Point. But I've been to Cedar Point. I'm a thrill ride guy, so I had a lot of fun. Thing is, I prefer variety. I like the few thrill rides available at Disney World, but I like the slower rides too because they all offer some level of something I don't get to experience often (I'm terrible at video games but still have fun on TSM). I'm really looking forward to visiting GE (I did get all of the paid experiences admittedly, but even if I didn't, I would be happy just to explore the land). I feel like Disney offers that variety of thrill and simple rides that I crave and when I can't find a FP, I still have options of something else to do. And that includes meet & greets (man did that first trip really change my perspective after visiting just a few characters).
I think sometimes people associate Disney as something you grow out of when you get to a certain age. They may not even know much about the parks themselves but just have that overall viewpoint.

I think sometimes people associate Disney as something you grow out of when you get to a certain age. They may not even know much about the parks themselves but just have that overall viewpoint.

*raises hand sheepishly* That was me and my dad on our first visit. We thought it was "one & done" since we were "too old" for most of the stuff there. Third trip coming up now XD.

*raises hand sheepishly* That was me and my dad on our first visit. We thought it was "one & done" since we were "too old" for most of the stuff there. Third trip coming up now XD.
No need to feel sheepish :hug:

I'm glad you've continued to go :)

We have really haven't voiced this next part to too many people though it'll be out now lol: We don't have kids yet but in our 2011 WDW, 2017 WDW, and the 2 2019 DLR trips both my husband and I jokingly but not so jokingly said "I don't know how people do it with kids".

Now we absolutely plan on bringing kids when we have them (and hopefully we do have children) but we just joke about how our touring habits and the like would be vastly different with children (understanding that the go go go 20K-30K steps staying in the parks for the entire day, etc touring patterns would change).

So here we are at these parks that so many people associate is just for kids wondering how all the people with kids manage it :lmao:There's irony for ya :teeth:

As a fellow introvert who used to shirk characters, they are very good at adjusting the interaction. Though yes, it's hard to get over waiting in line for Cinderella and not feel like a bunch of people are staring at you.

I made my first autograph book for my last visit. I was still slightly embarrassed (my own issue) about asking characters for their signatured. Anna tried to get me to loosen up with saying "I don't judge". But my head just wouldn't let me respond to get the two way interaction 😅.

I have another autograph book for my next visit and I hope I can give the characters a better interaction (as much as they try to give me).

I'm terrible at character interactions, too. If you're looking for tips, Kenny the Pirate has the character locator website. It's about $15/year. Best part of the site is the info he includes about interacting with each of the characters. So for example, if you go see Donald Duck one of the suggestions is to tell him Mickey is your #1 and see how he reacts. There are also tips for posing for pictures with most of the characters.

I'm terrible at character interactions, too. If you're looking for tips, Kenny the Pirate has the character locator website. It's about $15/year. Best part of the site is the info he includes about interacting with each of the characters. So for example, if you go see Donald Duck one of the suggestions is to tell him Mickey is your #1 and see how he reacts. There are also tips for posing for pictures with most of the characters.

Problem is I usually go in with what I plan to say and then forget because I've been waiting too long in anticipation 😅

We have kids and have gone a few times without them. Heck DH has conference in Orlando in January, tells me he wants to get an AP again to Disney and spend a few days there then says immediately -No kids. :rotfl2: . Our kids have been enough that they don't care if we go without them.
We have celebrated our 10th and 25th anniversary at Disney; the 10th we got a baby sitter for our two young children and went to V&A's then partied on Pleasure Island, then caught early flight home the next day. The 25th our oldest got us a great CM rate at AKL-we started at Victoria Falls, dinner at Jiko, closed down Victoria Falls after. DH said one if his favorite Disney trips ever. We've also done New Years without kids at Disney

TL;DR: you do NOT need kids to have a fabulous time!!!!

As an example of how shameless I now am for my visits despite my own similar discomfort...

Attached is my personally made autograph book for character meets on my upcoming trip in December. Yes it's a quick and simple thing I just threw together with $1 items (book being the exception) but that's kind of the appeal for me. It really matches the "everyone is a kid at Disney" ideal that permeates the parks.

Attachments

• 20191003_213051.jpg
    20191003_213051.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20191003_211739.jpg
    20191003_211739.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 3
Disney is all about enjoying yourself and all they have to experience, no matter the age. My husband & I had our 4 children young & now have 5 grandkids! We come with our kids and often just bring the grandkids by ourselves for our Disney trips. Right now we are here for 2-1/2 weeks with No kids (we have come before without kids too). At times it feels odd in lines like PeterPan & Winnie the Pooh for the rides & we just went over to meet Winnie the Pooh in Epcot (highly recommend since it’s in Christopher Robins room- adorable pix’s).
But I push that feeling away as much as possible because we payed just as much as the people around us with kids. It’s so fun to enjoy& do exactly what we want vs we cater the whole trip to others when w bring kids with us. It’s a very different experience. Next time you are at a Disney park, take a good look around, sit on a bench for a while and I’m pretty sure you’ll see lots of us grownup kids all by ourself just like you. You deserve to enjoy your life anyway that makes you happy so enjoy the Magic of Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter