Asia Disney Parks closed due to Coronavirus (SHDL, HKDL, TDL)

See, I'm not sure why this is news. Obviously, the disease is spread human to human, we already know that. If it wasn't, there wouldn't be 8000+ cases in such a short period of time. Furthermore, it's the husband of the woman already diagnosed, who was in Wuhan. Why is anyone surprised that the spouse caught it?

This isn't directed at you, just the media in general.
It has to do with the relatively strict standards of epidemiology. What seems to be the case, might not be the case until it's proven to be the case. There could be different strains, etc. Also, no one trusts the incomplete info coming out of China, but high-level epidemiologists and diplomats can't say that. I suspect that is the biggest reason.

TL;DR of the announcement:

They're declaring it a global emergency due to the potential of it spreading to poor countries that are ill-equipped to handle it. They are not currently recommending travel restrictions. Also repeated several times that China's response has been amazing.

I'm not familiar with this process, but I assume it's a checkmark to allow governments to take stronger measures.

I may be missing something in your post, perhaps you mean just domestic travel? But that bolded part is incorrect. For several days, the State Department has had a Level 4 restriction for travel to Wuhan, and Level 3 to the rest of China. As of Thursday night, after your post, We now have the very strongest possible warnings (Level 4) NOT to travel to any part of China. Nearly all commercial flights to China have been suspended. In addition, I personally would avoid HK and Thailand.

The thing to remember is that the situation can change very rapidly, in a matter of days, because early spread in an epidemic is exponential, not linear.

Like the mental exercise where you are offered either a million dollars up front, or a just penny but doubling that every day for a month? The coronavirus could be that penny. You won't feel like you won the lottery, though.

The purpose of quarantine, travel restrictions, hygiene is to change that natural growth. But for sure people shouldn't think our authorities are hiding something or incompetent because they change their recommendations.

If you are really that worried, pack some hand sanitizer, wash your hands frequently and don't suck on your fingers.
Or stick them in your eyes or up your nose, either. Or fiddle with your glasses which is a really big problem in my family.

Part of the effectiveness of masks is to keep people from touching their faces.

Last edited:
I just wanted to add that this epidemic is a really good example of why you want to register with the State Department (STEP program) when you travel abroad. They will notify you of things like the Travel Precautions, etc. and if things go really sideways, help you return to the US.

Edit:
Pres. Trump has closed the borders to all foreign nationals who've been to China in the last 2 wks. CDC says all US citizens returning from Hubei Province, China will be subject to quarantine for 2 wks. Citizens returning from other parts of China will have a monitored self-quarantine in their homes.

This is a perfect example of how quickly things can change early in an epidemic.

Last edited:
TDR suspending face character meets until further notice....

HK DL did the same thing 3 days before they closed completely. I would bet that TDR closes soon. What happened to that poster earlier in this thread who was celebrating because they thought their crowd levels would be lower for their trip in late February?

HK DL did the same thing 3 days before they closed completely. I would bet that TDR closes soon. What happened to that poster earlier in this thread who was celebrating because they thought their crowd levels would be lower for their trip in late February?
I'd adopt a wait and see basis before we know if TDR is closing or not.
USJ and USS same thing.

I am not worried about my holiday. It's a holiday. I AM worried about my husband. He travels all over UK (which now has cases), on public transport, including flights. He is still needing blood products due to incurable leukaemia, few people have less immunity.
Going on holiday is a luxury. If losing a luxury is the worst that happens, we've done well.

It has to do with the relatively strict standards of epidemiology. What seems to be the case, might not be the case until it's proven to be the case. There could be different strains, etc. Also, no one trusts the incomplete info coming out of China, but high-level epidemiologists and diplomats can't say that. I suspect that is the biggest reason.

I may be missing something in your post, perhaps you mean just domestic travel? But that bolded part is incorrect. For several days, the State Department has had a Level 4 restriction for travel to Wuhan, and Level 3 to the rest of China. As of Thursday night, after your post, We now have the very strongest possible warnings (Level 4) NOT to travel to any part of China. Nearly all commercial flights to China have been suspended. In addition, I personally would avoid HK and Thailand.

I think the PP was referring to the WHO announcement which, as the PP stated did not (yet) call for a travel ban.

I am not worried about my holiday. It's a holiday. I AM worried about my husband. He travels all over UK (which now has cases), on public transport, including flights. He is still needing blood products due to incurable leukaemia, few people have less immunity.
Going on holiday is a luxury. If losing a luxury is the worst that happens, we've done well.
Wow, I'm so sorry to hear that. But your post helps all the rest to us keep this stuff in perspective, so thank you.

I'm sure he already does the usual precautions on the plane- using an antibacterial wipe on the airplane seatbelt buckle, armrest, tray table etc. , rigorous hand washing, doesn't touch his face, etc.

But his might also call his doctor and ask for an N95 mask to wear on the plane & in the airport, or get it from the hardware store and ask the doctors for help getting it fitted.

If he were in the US, he might ask for accommodation under the ADA, to work from his own office. I don't know how that works in the UK.

God bless you & stay safe.

I think the PP was referring to the WHO announcement which, as the PP stated did not (yet) call for a travel ban.
WHO does not decide what goes on in the US, and they still are not calling for travel bans. For us, their role is usually advisory, although they can help less fortunate countries out with expertise and money. That was one of the reasons they declared a global health emergency.

All of our travel advisories come from the CDC and the State department & they've had them for many days. Actual travel bans are usually from the President, that's what he did yesterday.

Last edited:
Wow, I'm so sorry to hear that. But your post helps all the rest to us keep this stuff in perspective, so thank you.

I'm sure he already does the usual precautions on the plane- using an antibacterial wipe on the airplane seatbelt buckle, armrest, tray table etc. , rigorous hand washing, doesn't touch his face, etc.

But his might also call his doctor and ask for an N95 mask to wear on the plane & in the airport, or get it from the hardware store and ask the doctors for help getting it fitted.

If he were in the US, he might ask for accommodation under the ADA, to work from his own office. I don't know how that works in the UK.

God bless you & stay safe.
Thank you. Yes, we all take extra precautions all the time anyway, and he can, under whatever they call the DDA these days, work from home a lot but his job is to ensure safeguarding and compliance with regulations in care homes and special schools, so, he has to visit them in order to help them, and prepare them for inspections etc.
His HCP recommends a mask and gloves (which they can prescribe) on top of all his meds and usual hand washing / anti bac gel / wipes.

Thank you. Yes, we all take extra precautions all the time anyway, and he can, under whatever they call the DDA these days, work from home a lot but his job is to ensure safeguarding and compliance with regulations in care homes and special schools, so, he has to visit them in order to help them, and prepare them for inspections etc.
His HCP recommends a mask and gloves (which they can prescribe) on top of all his meds and usual hand washing / anti bac gel / wipes.
That sounds great! I'd still request an N95 mask right now, though, if that's not what he has.

WHO does not decide what goes on in the US, and they still are not calling for travel bans. For us, their role is usually advisory, although they can help less fortunate countries out with expertise and money. That was one of the reasons they declared a global health emergency.

All of our travel advisories come from the CDC and the State department & they've had them for many days. Actual travel bans are usually from the President, that's what he did yesterday.

Yup, I'm aware that WHO doesn't decide what happens in the US, other than through resolutions and, even then, only if the US signs onto that specific one (I'm an epidemiologist and I work at WHO* and know exactly how we interact with our Member States). I neither said nor implied that nor that the US had not introduced a travel ban. I was simply trying to undo your confusion since you and the PP were referring to two different announcements and it didn't seem that you understood.

*I'm not an infectious disease epidemiologist and am not part of the emergencies team (which is the team that is involved in the outbreak.

That's me still here, nothing has changed disease process still going as expected, actually I expected it to spread a bit faster. Still not freaking out, trust the experts to do their jobs.

Yup, I'm aware that WHO doesn't decide what happens in the US, other than through resolutions and, even then, only if the US signs onto that specific one (I'm an epidemiologist and I work at WHO* and know exactly how we interact with our Member States). I neither said nor implied that nor that the US had not introduced a travel ban. I was simply trying to undo your confusion since you and the PP were referring to two different announcements and it didn't seem that you understood.

*I'm not an infectious disease epidemiologist and am not part of the emergencies team (which is the team that is involved in the outbreak.
Thank you for the clarification. As you know, there's a lot of misinformation floating about. I just wanted to be clear that there are, in fact, strong travel warnings for the US and have been for a while.

A 2 percent fatality rate is not low. That is 200 times deadlier than the seasonal flu which has a mortality rate of around .01 percent depending on the year and how bad it is.
But experts are saying there are probably more like 75,000, possibly as much as 150,000 cases in China. They just have been confirmed since they have such limited testing.

if there actually are 75,000 cases and 314 deaths currently, the mortality rate is more like 0.4%, putting it in the range of the swine flu pandemic from 2009. Which is FYI is now the most common circulating flu at this point in the season.

if there really are 150,000 + cases, it drops even further.

while this is obviously a concerning virus, it’s not going to be the pandemic of movies that wipes out large portions of the worlds population.

if there actually are 75,000 cases and 314 deaths currently, the mortality rate is more like 0.4%, putting it in the range of the swine flu pandemic from 2009. Which is FYI is now the most common circulating flu at this point in the season.
I hope you are correct, but unfortunately, deaths may be underreported as well. Since there's a shortage of test kits, and transportation to the hospitals, and hospital beds, people may be dying undiagnosed, even unhospitalized. It appears that these aren't counted as coronavirus fatalities.

Truly, we just don't know. As cases mount outside of China, we'll get a much better picture of the disease. Maybe in a week or two the picture will be much clearer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter