Assisted listening devices?

Bubby4Clay

Mouseketeer
Has anyone borrowed/rented them at the parks? If so, I have some questions.

Rental fee?
If you park hop, do you have to pay twice?
Is it a hand-held wand, or more like a "walkman"?
Sound quality?
Would you recommend it to others, or was it waste/useless?

Thanks!

Bubby4Clay said:
Has anyone borrowed/rented them at the parks? If so, I have some questions.
Rental fee?
If you park hop, do you have to pay twice?
Is it a hand-held wand, or more like a "walkman"?
Sound quality?
Would you recommend it to others, or was it waste/useless?
Thanks!
rental fee: $25 refundable on return of the device to the guest services location you borrowed it from. Yes but since it is only a deposit it isn't an issue.

Like a walkman.

not that good in my opinion. I found it a waste as it amplifies everything and not just the voices so I still can't understand the script. I still prefer interpreters.

Also there is a handheld device that is a personal caption system
$100 refundable deposit. Can be a much better option as it allows you to read the script. Of course I can hear much of the music but speech is my problem

You can also use reflective captioning. Ask at the entrance to the show and they will set up a plexiglas screen in front of you which you adjust to see the captions and you also view the show through the screen.

If you can sign there are also interpreting scheduled at certain parks on certain days and a schedule can be obtained from Guest Services at any park for the current week or requested prior to you trip from Guest Services. If you need this let me know.

Thanks for your help, Talking Hands!

My mom (almost 70 y.o.) and I are going next week. She wears hearing aids, but has difficulty understanding dialogue.
Was hoping these would help her out---doesn't look too good.
I may have her try it, just to give it a test run.

Bubby this thread also has lots of links to help you understand the choices in the parks > http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=788449

I know I cut and pasted some links to allearsnet.com, in the thread, there are many that posted thier experiences!

My dh and ds are hard of hearing, and I second the Reflective Captioning You will need to get the routine down for some places, but dh LOVED it! When you go to the parks, you get a map, and their are symbols that help remind you what exhibit uses what device. For Reflective captioning I remember the Hall of Presidents - always look at the back of the theatre, you'll see a box thingy with red lights, backwards... Now for the popular 3D movies, when you check in, tell the CM you need reflective captioning, if they dont understand, say you'll wait with the wheelchair... and then when that cm comes out, mention you need xx amount of seats and one mirror for reflective captioning... if that cm doesnt understand, ask him to find out where the mirrors are stored... for Honey I shrunk the Audience the best seat is to the far left back, now we went in got our 3 seats while the CM went searching for the mirror, and the rest of the audience came thru... (this was the only place where we were questioned by people why we "cheated", once they saw the mirror, they felt guilty!! Usually you get the mirror before the audience comes in!!)

In Philharmagic in MK you want to the right end, we sat kinda in the middle front... (we went after midnight it wasnt full then!!)

Now for Its Tough To Be A Bug, it took the CM's awhile to find it, so we sat thru the first show w/o the mirror, and then they let us stay for the next show since they found the mirror, and we were set up... DH was surprised at how much he missed without the Captioning!!

In MGM we rented both devices, we did find them to be heavy, the hand held captioning wasnt (last summer) set for the new "Backlot Tour" we got a kick out of reading something entirely different than what we were seeing... he did like it in the Walt One Man's Dream exhibit if I remember correctly... The FM device was ok...

I carried the devices in a Tote Bag, and just handed them to dh when we got situated... He is very embarrassed that he doesnt "hear" and needs aides... but the Reflective Captioning was the BEST!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter