August 2021: Florida has more new Covid cases than ever before

They really just need to say no travel unless vaccinated, no testing needed. Even without vaccination the risk from covid is so low. All the fear mongering is really losing sight of that. Especially for young people. With the vaccine even more so. Here is the data complied from the last few weeks
Totally agreed. We were doing the math using Florida numbers last week and the reality is that the case count per 100k amounted to less than a 1% chance of getting COVID, even unvaccinated. The challenge right now in Florida is that if you are one of the unlucky one, the health care system is starting to get stretched again -so you want to make sure that if you get it, and you need care, you will be well taken care of... but yes, the risk of such is extremely low. I had that exact same discussion with my spouse that over here, case count is becoming less relevant - and other measures might be more meaningful on a go forward basis

My boyfriend and I were planning on coming down end of August/early Sept for his first trip to Disney but ended up cancelling right at the 30 day window. We were optimistic originally and were really hoping to go since we were originally supposed to go back in April 2020 and kept having to reschedule, but with the case rates going up there was no way we could justify it.

We're both fully vaxxed but the risk of testing positive from a breakthrough case and not being able to get back to Canada were just too huge. Plus I was worried that we would just be stressed the whole time with the lack of distancing and general crowdedness, and I really didn't want that for his first trip.

It's definitely sad, but honestly, as soon as we rescheduled, I did feel quite a bit of relief. The planning was getting so stressful and I found myself obsessing over the Florida COVID numbers more than I should have! We're rescheduled for February and I'm really hoping things are a bit better by then!
We felt the same. Cancelled our mid-Sept trip, re-booked for the first week of Feb. Felt better immediately. Within a few weeks, we went from "get vaccinated and you will have a minuscule chance of catching it" to "yeah, you'll probably catch it, but you won't be TOO sick". That risk of a positive was just too much for us coming back to Canada.

Totally agreed. We were doing the math using Florida numbers last week and the reality is that the case count per 100k amounted to less than a 1% chance of getting COVID, even unvaccinated. The challenge right now in Florida is that if you are one of the unlucky one, the health care system is starting to get stretched again -so you want to make sure that if you get it, and you need care, you will be well taken care of... but yes, the risk of such is extremely low. I had that exact same discussion with my spouse that over here, case count is becoming less relevant - and other measures might be more meaningful on a go forward basis
Nice numbers. I'm willing to bet the number of unreported cases is 10 times that at least...especially amongest children. There are 100000 people at all 4 parks per day: no way only one person per day is getting covid right now! So at Disney you have no vaccinated children who account for maybe 33% of the people there at least, plus about 40% of the adults not vaccinated. And those few who got the J and J shot, it doesn't protect against the variant.

I'm not looking at it at a potentential hospitalization situation (I'm sure my vaccination will prevent this), but from a I could test positive and not get back on the plane to Canada.

They really just need to say no travel unless vaccinated, no testing needed. Even without vaccination the risk from covid is so low. All the fear mongering is really losing sight of that. Especially for young people. With the vaccine even more so. Here is the data complied from the last few weeks
Cute chart.

I'll pass it along to my wife who is currently working in a covid unit in Hollywood right now and let her know that the hospital beds they have set up in the cafeteria to control the overflow of new patients is all just fear mongering. BTW the number of younger admittances (under 50) has tripled in the last few weeks. Oh, and more than 90% of those in there are unvaxed.

I really wish some of you could spend a day at work with her.

EDIT: I over reacted a bit and didn't really read your post. Sorry.

Last edited:
Cute chart.

I'll pass it along to my wife who is currently working in a covid unit in Hollywood right now and let her know that the hospital beds they have set up in the cafeteria to control the overflow of new patients is all just fear mongering. BTW the number of younger admittances (under 50) has tripled in the last few weeks. Oh, and more than 90% of those in there are unvaxed.

I really wish some of you could spend a day at work with her.

EDIT: I over reacted a bit and didn't really read your post. Sorry.

yes the chart shows that most severe outcomes are in unvaxed as you said, but also that vaccinating young people is of limited benefit therefore mandating a vaccination target based on 12+ makes no sense as the 12-29 year old group is at extremely low risk. The 12+ target was made thinking that people with the vaccine are less likely to transmit but with Delta that doesn't seem to be the case. The USA doesn't compare, especially a place like LA where the population is very dense, there are tons of homeless encampments, and without looking I would assume their rate of vax is far less than ours.

yes the chart shows that most severe outcomes are in unvaxed as you said, but also that vaccinating young people is of limited benefit therefore mandating a vaccination target based on 12+ makes no sense as the 12-29 year old group is at extremely low risk. The 12+ target was made thinking that people with the vaccine are less likely to transmit but with Delta that doesn't seem to be the case. The USA doesn't compare, especially a place like LA where the population is very dense, there are tons of homeless encampments, and without looking I would assume their rate of vax is far less than ours.
Well, it is all a matter of perspective. Some will say that 174 dead children in a state is 174 avoidable deaths... and others will point out to the fact that this is low risk as it amounts to 0.003% of the 0-16 population, so what's the point of vaccinating. Both points are valid depending as to how you look at the exact same data set

Well, it is all a matter of perspective. Some will say that 174 dead children in a state is 174 avoidable deaths... and others will point out to the fact that this is low risk as it amounts to 0.003% of the 0-16 population, so what's the point of vaccinating. Both points are valid depending as to how you look at the exact same data set
Both points are not valid to me. Apparantly to you they are.

We cancelled our trip as well. Between the testing requirements, restrictions, no fast passes or magic hours and rising covid numbers it just did not make sense. Vacations are suppose to be fun... this was just becoming too stressful.

Both points are not valid to me. Apparantly to you they are.
For clarity, I never said they are valid to me. And to your previous post, I do agree that # are likely under-reported. As for the "protection" and the "odds of testing positive even when vaccinated", numbers seem to be changing on a daily basis based on which report you look at. For example, the latest study published today on J&J vaccines in South Africa when Delta was prevalent showed very good protection against infection. Not trying to start an argument - my main point is that people could look at the same data set and come to different conclusions, and I laid out two examples. Nothing more, nothing less

Just my food for thought. Even though we are double vaccinated and might not require hospitalization if we catch Covid - we do not know the long term effects of this virus. Viruses are tricky things. Post-polio syndrome and shingles are examples of a virus that you may have thought you were over and done with coming back to ferociously bite you in the *** even decades later. There is thoughts that MS and rheumatoid arthritis (and probably many other diseases) are actually from a virus we had earlier in life.

So, death is not the only bad thing that can happen to someone. We do not know what this virus might do to the people who think they have gotten it "mildly".
That’s my biggest fear of all this

We cancelled our trip as well. Between the testing requirements, restrictions, no fast passes or magic hours and rising covid numbers it just did not make sense. Vacations are suppose to be fun... this was just becoming too stressful.
I totally get what you are saying, we booked a trip and are still on the fence because the planning feels like a pain and there is some stress and risk to going forward with the required testing and protocols and all the unknowns. On one hand I want to go regardless as I am sick of this, on the other hand part of me thinks it’s crazy to travel in such an awkward time. But maybe it will be awkward for years and I simply don’t want to keep waiting. We don’t know what to do and I can really relate to your post.

I hope everyone can be civil so that this thread does not get shutdown.

It's great to read others thoughts and plans as we have a December trip that is very uncertain right now. One of my biggest concerns is actual case count. Not everyone gets tested or even knows they are/were covid positive. Hopefully this current wave will burn itself out quickly.

I totally get what you are saying, we booked a trip and are still on the fence because the planning feels like a pain and there is some stress and risk to going forward with the required testing and protocols and all the unknowns. On one hand I want to go regardless as I am sick of this, on the other hand part of me thinks it’s crazy to travel in such an awkward time. But maybe it will be awkward for years and I simply don’t want to keep waiting. We don’t know what to do and I can really relate to your post.

i did ultimately choose to cancel ours but I can definitely see the perspective of having to live with it. I do understand for the most part the basic risk to me is pretty low, but I can’t help but think maybe it is just best to play it safe and wait it out. I could make a totally different decision in May, even if (heaven forbid) the situation is the same.

Adults,fine.
Children?Different story.
"Limited benefit"?"Extremely low risk'?
This just seems like trying to justify people's decisions to take their unvaxxed under 12 to disney or anywhere for that matter,for a few days holiday,imo.Charts,reports,blah,blah, blah.........Show me FACTS where kids,grandkids,etc,who depend on their parents,grandparents,to "take care of them'because they know or should know better,have 0 deaths and 0 risk of dying.Even sadder thing is,people will argue that everyone's lives are at risk everyday,.......more justification.
Until then,it's just knowingly gambling with their lives,imo.

That is the reality that we will likely need to get used to - and each will have their "trigger". For some, it will be the possibility that they are stuck somewhere, and having to reschedule their return - especially with insurance plans that currently focus primarily on emergency medical care and not trip interruption, for others it will be concerns about getting really sick and needing care - even if vaccinated and insured, for others it is coming back home to a loved one that might be immunocompromised... and for others... COVID... this is something they can already deal with. I am personally in the I want to go camp... and I may do some solo travel in the next couple of weeks to somewhere, without putting the other people around me at risk.

I am hoping that one more winter season will give us a much better idea of how we will have to deal with Covid. Until then I am staying close to home where I know the numbers of cases are low.

I want to travel as much as the rest of you. Covid is but a blip of time on our long lives. Patience will see us through to the other side and the "New" normal that we will see.

Policy on COVID discussions

The global COVID pandemic created unprecedented restrictions, disruptions and changes to our travel, work, shopping, schooling, social interactions and so many other aspects of our lives since the beginning of 2020. We’ve all been affected, and we have been inundated with news, information, mis-information, frustrations and opinions. We’ve heard them, we’ve shared them, we’ve argued about them.

The discussions, debates and arguments about the virus, distancing and masking policies, various politicians’ statements and actions have been overwhelming and divisive. Many threads on the DISboards have been derailed or devolved into arguments due to this topic. We understand the passion, but feel that we’ve let the discussions run their course. We are sure there are better places on the WWW to learn about and debate scientific, medical and political issues. The mission of the DISboards is to be a great travel resource and a friendly community.

Now that travel is opening up again, it’s time to refocus on that mission!

From this point on, we will welcome information on COVID policies RELATED TO TRAVEL. Things like the vaccination policies issued by venues or destinations, the cleaning or distancing procedures in use, practical tips for travelers or things they might need to know that are different from location to location are all valid topics. Any official policies issued by Disney, other travel destinations, cruise lines, airlines, etc. regarding requirements for visiting parks or cruising can be shared. This information needs to be on-topic for the specific forum and thread where posted.

We will NOT welcome debate or opinion about medical, scientific, or political aspects of the pandemic. There are a few often repeated trigger items that won’t be allowed: No statistics about infection rates, no ranting about individual rights, no “face-diaper” comments, no debate about whether vaccinations or masking are effective, no discussions about which governor or politician or news personality did or said what.

In summary: COVID related discussion should be limited to actual policy and practical application, and NOT veer into opinion or debate.

We understand that you may be passionate in your opinions on this topic and want to discuss or debate them, and appreciate your understanding that there are more appropriate places than the DISboards to do that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter