August 2021! Will the US let us in???

Where did you get this info from? There are people who still can travel to the USA under the proclamation (certain family members of citizens) who would need an ESTA. So if checking in cancels the ESTA, how would these people travel?

If people are allowed to travel due to exemptions, then they have to get special authorization from US embassy's, just the same as before Covid, when people had issues with ESTA or needed a different type of Visa to travel to USA.

USA Embassy In Ireland Official Information For U.S. Visa and Travel FAQs for non-U.S. citizens during COVID-19

The Consular Section at The Us Embassy in Ireland serves both American citizens and visa applicants.
Consular Section appointment priority is as follows:
  • Essential American citizen services
  • Immigrant visa services (family-based immigrant visa applicants, e.g. spouses, children, and fiancées of U.S. citizens)
  • Nonimmigrant visa services for life-and-death emergencies and those going to the United States for direct COVID-19 mitigation purposes
If your ESTA was cancelled but you believe that you fall under one of the exceptions identified in Presidential Proclamation 10143 and you believe that the travel restriction does not apply to you, we suggest that you contact your airline for the latest information about your travel plans and any restrictions.

If you travel, we suggest that you carry any official original documentation that you have that you believe demonstrates why you are exempt from a travel restriction, such as a Permanent Resident card (commonly known as a Green Card), a marriage certificate or a birth certificate, so that it is available if it is requested for review. You may also wish to carry a copy of the Presidential Proclamation itself.

Entry into the United States is at the sole discretion of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security Officer who questions each traveler applying for entry into the United States. Please note that U.S. Embassy Dublin cannot guarantee that any traveler applying for entry to the United States will be permitted to enter by DHS.

I posted on the other August thread a month or so ago, then I had small hopes of being able to go.
Now…I’ve resigned myself that it won’t be happening. My flight operator haven’t cancelled the flights though yet, which surprises me since it’s only 32 days away. Not quite sure what other date or announcement they might have been waiting/hoping for.
We’ve only got flights booked (got our own accommodation) and park tickets, but I need to sort out extending those/getting credits so I can use for another year, but until the flights have been cancelled I feel a bit in limbo!

As someone said further up too; I’m not convinced about 2022 either right now 😭

Where did you get this info from? There are people who still can travel to the USA under the proclamation (certain family members of citizens) who would need an ESTA. So if checking in cancels the ESTA, how would these people travel?

The official proclamation states that anyone attempting entry in violation of the proclamation will have their ESTA cancelled. Presumably anyone who had one of these exemptions would not be attempting to enter in violation of the proclamation so the ESTA wouldn't be cancelled. They would also need some sort of official documentation or prior permission I guess to prove it.

Next travel update should be on/around 15th July. Unlikely to include USA yet I would think though.

Hmm. Israel is saying that the Pfizer jab is not so good with the Delta variant. So, if true, that puts the US in a spot - since that is a major plank in their programme.
OTOH it seems (I haven't seen actual numbers, just some suggestions) the AZ efficacy may be less affected by the Delta.
Separately I've seen quotes that UK infections are likely to rise to 50k/day after 19th July easing.

However the numbers may crunch, I think the uncertainties they create will almost certainly work to delay any US opening decision. I think even September looks iffy ... and that's being optimistic. 😟

I follow some travel accounts on Instagram who live in the UK but have recently had holidays in the USA after going via Mexico.

We usually do at least 3 weeks for our trips anyway so are actually consider this option. We had intended our trip this year to be closer to 5 week as we had a huge road trip outlined after 2 week in Florida .

We could potentially do the time in Mexico 🤣 then 10 days Florida and drop and shorten the road trip itinerary. We would still have to quarantine once we arrive back in the UK though 🤔🤔

I follow some travel accounts on Instagram who live in the UK but have recently had holidays in the USA after going via Mexico.

We usually do at least 3 weeks for our trips anyway so are actually consider this option. We had intended our trip this year to be closer to 5 week as we had a huge road trip outlined after 2 week in Florida .

We could potentially do the time in Mexico 🤣 then 10 days Florida and drop and shorten the road trip itinerary. We would still have to quarantine once we arrive back in the UK though 🤔🤔
This sounds like an incredible holiday! Relaxing in a Mexican all inclusive, WDW in Florida, Road trip around some southern states.....VERY jealous!!

I'm booked for October and the latest murmurings have given me cause to think its now less likely to happen.

No way to know how much knowledge this alleged insider really has, but the FT quoted them as saying:
“The Biden administration is in no hurry . . . and the chances of anything happening before August now seem to be zilch,”

Full article here: https://www.ft.com/content/64a0018e-214e-455f-8cf3-d4e407b5b1d2

A lot of other countries are waiting to see what happens with our little experiment on 19 July. No doubt infections will rise exponentially, and there is no chance anyone is going to open their doors to us at that point when it looks like things are going a bit out of control. But hopefully infections will begin to flatten, but its anyones guess how and when that will occur. Maybe late August/September - and then there will be a lag while officials make decisions. But by that point, we're rapidly moving in to Winter which is also seen as high risk.

But then again, BoJo made a good point - "if not now, when?". This isn't going away, new variants will probably come and go, and the U.S. can't keep its borders closed forever.

If it wasn't for the fact I had DVC points that are "use them or lose them" - I honestly wouldn't be bothering right now, because the stress of the on-again-off-again travel situation, combined with Disney making it really hard to love them at the moment (park reservations required, withdrawal of 21-day ticket, withdrawal of APs, withdrawal of dining plans, withdrawal of tables in wonderland, etc etc), it just isn't worth it.

Infections are what will grab the headlines, but it’s very important to look at other things - hospitalisations have moved from around 1 in 10 people with COVID, to 1 in 50. And for those hospitalised, less intense treatment is required. Even if after 19th July we hit 1,000 hospital admissions per day in a 3rd wave/exit wave (which isn’t great and is a lot), that is comparable to respiratory admissions in winter, so no where previous levels. I’m not for a second playing down COVID and the impact it has had on people’s families, lives and livelihoods, but we do have to start to alter the way we look at it and that is on a global scale.

“The Biden administration is in no hurry . . . and the chances of anything happening before August now seem to be zilch,”
It was said a couple of weeks ago that the UK-US taskforce wouldn't report before the end of July, so that has been a given for a while.

We're booked for 11th August but, realistically, waiting for Virgin to cancel! Carribean Beach balance needs paying by tomorrow but Disney (via email) have said we can cancel up until the week before our stay and get all our money back so think I might pay that on my cc.
I really don't want to cancel Virgin just now - I'd like them to cancel so I can get the money back, rather than a voucher, as we won't be able to travel now until April 2023 due to work commitments and a wedding next August :lovestruc

we can cancel up until the week before our stay and get all our money back
I think it's 8 days prior, so don't cut it too fine :)
You might lose the £50 deposit - I don't know how they are handling that at present.

I really don't want to cancel Virgin just now - I'd like them to cancel so I can get the money back,
Absolutely. Heaven knows what will happen in the next couple of years.

I think it's 8 days prior, so don't cut it too fine :)
You might lose the £50 deposit - I don't know how they are handling that at present.

Absolutely. Heaven knows what will happen in the next couple of years.

I know. They sent me the email with the address to write to :flower1:
My plan is to make a decision after the next travel update. The latest I can cancel/rearrange Virgin is 20th July so it needs to be done before then.
What a palava! :upsidedow
Just noticed my 'ticker' is when we should have originally travelled.......:worried:

Because of the Delta variant a leisure trip to the USA in August isn't happening, I think 2021 will be a write-off regarding holidays in Orlando I'm afraid. If the original virus strain hadn't mutated we'd all be back to travelling normally this summer. There is even talk of another lock-down in this country in the autumn winter time, we won't be allowed to leave our locality let alone fly off to Florida. I think a booster campaign this autumn followed by new jabs next spring will hopefully get us back to normality in summer 2022, anything earlier you can probably forget it.

It was said a couple of weeks ago that the UK-US taskforce wouldn't report before the end of July, so that has been a given for a while.
I think the problem is, it's always "said" by vague or unknown sources, or people who do not have first hand knowledge, so you have to take everything like that with a pinch of salt. i.e. I don't think it has been "given for a while"... It's all just a guessing game right now; the U.S. seem to be keeping their cards quite close to their chest.

I think the problem is, it's always "said" by vague or unknown sources, or people who do not have first hand knowledge, so you have to take everything like that with a pinch of salt. i.e. I don't think it has been "given for a while"... It's all just a guessing game right now; the U.S. seem to be keeping their cards quite close to their chest.
The article linked in post#12 (which was only 8 days ago - feels like weeks) seems based on sources that do have first hand knowledge. They think the talks (?) could run into September.

This sounds like an incredible holiday! Relaxing in a Mexican all inclusive, WDW in Florida, Road trip around some southern states.....VERY jealous!!

I haven't booked anything just looking at the options at the moment.

We spent ages drawing up the road trip plans and I love it I just can't quite bring myself to drop any of the itinerary.

We do want to go to Mexico anyway as our Xmas 2020 trip was cancelled by tui (but that was planned around a heavy whale watching itinerary) no whales in summer 😭

So it would be compromising 2 of our big bucket list trips 🙁 however is a compromise version better than no trip 🤔🤔

however is a compromise version better than no trip 🤔🤔
I'd say not, unless you are up against a time constraint that means doing it now or never (or so far in the future it might as well be).
I wondered about doing 2 weeks somewhere 'acceptable' before WDW, but when I started investigating it began to look like a of a house cards - though Mexico wasn't somewhere I considered. At the end of the day US immigration might still say no for some obscure reason, so I decided it wasn't worth the risk.
But if you do find a reliable route please let me know ... seriously. :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter