August 2023 W.I.S.H blissful, bold blue moon

I’m actually quite surprised that I have managed to maintain my weight since before vacation. I knew that I would not lose weight over vacation and actually expected to gain. I would be happy to continue to maintain during the next two weeks. Before the end of the month, I will be back in my very structured routine, so I will remain flexible for now. My summer is nearly finished.

I recently read a post where someone was calling out that August is the transitional month between summer and fall. Around here summer typically doesn't start until mid-July so I've always thought of August as high-summer, but this year we've had such a long dry summer that I can really feel the changes coming, even this early in the month. Driving to Sequim yesterday the maple trees along the way are already starting to turn. Days are getting shorter, particularly today because there's a heavy overcast and it feels like the sun hasn't come up yet at 7:30am. When the sun is up the light is starting to change, starting to slant and land at an angle. Summer plants and flowers are dying back. It is both sad and exciting, as autumn is my favorite time of year.

I feel the same about this week... sad about all the things at work that are ending but excited for the new things that are coming, now that we're getting a glimpse into them.

I recently read a post where someone was calling out that August is the transitional month between summer and fall. Around here summer typically doesn't start until mid-July so I've always thought of August as high-summer, but this year we've had such a long dry summer that I can really feel the changes coming, even this early in the month. Driving to Sequim yesterday the maple trees along the way are already starting to turn. Days are getting shorter, particularly today because there's a heavy overcast and it feels like the sun hasn't come up yet at 7:30am. When the sun is up the light is starting to change, starting to slant and land at an angle. Summer plants and flowers are dying back. It is both sad and exciting, as autumn is my favorite time of year.

I feel the same about this week... sad about all the things at work that are ending but excited for the new things that are coming, now that we're getting a glimpse into them.
If I wasn't returning to school in 2 weeks, I would still consider it high-summer. The only changes I'm seeing are my petunias drying out and not being as lush as they were a month ago. The rest of the flowers are gorgeous, and the angle of the sun is still like summer to me. I have family out west who started school a week ago. It was so odd to see them in their "first day of school" photos.

Back when I was a kid, we didn't go back to school until after Labor Day. I wish that was still the case for both kids and teachers.

Here (southern Illinois), August mostly seems like a transitional month. It's still super hot during the day, but the evenings are starting to cool down. It lets us get a glimpse of the cooler fall temperatures.

I don't have anything "extra" this week during the work week, so I'm hoping to settle back into a routine. My eating has been pretty good, but I'm hoping to complete a really good week this week to prove to myself I can still do it!

It has been a munchie day....a day where all I want to do is eat. No good
Trying to get myself back on track in prep for mini vaca #2 next week and all the junk food that comes with it. Fortunately there is also a lot of walking. Not wdw step counts but way more than a typical day.

Had a restful weekend. This week is my first full work week. DH is so funny, he always asks me what project am I working on. I just have to laugh and tell him that my job is nothing like his where I can focus half a day on one thing. I always tell him I have a million projects going at once and I just do little bits here and there between interruptions and somehow everything gets done!

Tomorrow we have kindergarteners coming for their first day of camp. They'll be so cute! Friday when it is over the teachers will switch kids around because they'll know who can't be with whom!

Kinda bummed I forgot to buy celery when I went shopping. I have the little to go peanut butter cups and for some reason they sound really good with some celery for snack. Oh well. Next time. I did buy an English cucumber so hopefully tomorrow I'll remember to slice some up and take it to work.

09F2174F-DA63-485B-B92E-F8D529880581.jpeg
Welcome to Tuesday!!!

It’s so funny, I planned my week of “hosting” over the weekend and then yesterday we all started discussing the end of summer and I already had planned that as our topic for Tuesday!!

So, with summer winding down-did you do everything that you wanted to do? Anything your putting off until next summer? What was your favorite thing you did this summer?

Temperature wise we are still in full swing of summer so it’s hard to imagine that’s it’s coming to a end for us, but I know it is!

My summer was great, I enjoyed my time off and did everything that I wanted to do! I don’t know that I could pick one thing as my “favorite” but fostering and then adopting our dog and spending quality time with family are definitely high on the list!

I have not put anything off thankfully and I still have one more day trip to do-a lake day with DD, my niece and nephew. I need to get that on the calendar before the end of the month!!

Have a great Tuesday everyone!!

Hopping back in after a few busy days. We fly in 9 days and I'm in full planning/packing mode for this trip.

Our schools don't start back until after Labor Day, so we've got a solid chunk of summer left. The girls are spending this week at camp Mom-Mom-Pop-Pop at their shore house, then they're home for two days before we fly to Cali for 12! We've had some fun this summer, but my health status has forced us to push the big stuff later, so we'll go out with a bang.

I can't say that I've had an epic summer, but I've done much better at actually having a summer than I have in past years.

One of the things I had thought about doing but haven't yet is enjoying some outdoor music, but there is plenty to choose from in the coming weeks. There is also Shakespeare in the Park at a local vineyard that I think I'll go to Thursday evening.

Saturday I have an embroidery class which looks like it'll be fun.

I recently realized that when I go to the beach it is always to walk, so I'm planning on taking a chair to sit and read some day soon.

So, with summer winding down-did you do everything that you wanted to do? Anything your putting off until next summer? What was your favorite thing you did this summer?

A little background: For years, I've put up a foam poster board on our coat closet door sometime in the spring, with a block of small sticky notes on it. When we think of fun things to do over the summer, we write them on a square and stick it somewhere on the poster. After we do a thing, we move the stickies to a "checked-off" box in the corner:

Summer Poster.jpg
(Edited photo because some of them have other people's real names on them.)

...did you do everything that you wanted to do?
No, we haven't done everything. DH was sick for what felt like most of July. But he's all sorted out now, and we have a lot of good weather left here in Mass. This is also the first year in a while we are not restricted by a return to the school schedule, so there's hope for a few more stickies - maybe up to 4 of the 7 left.
Anything your putting off until next summer?
I don't think the weekend trip to NYC is going to happen this time. There's also a zoo outing with a friend and her DD that was originally on last summer's poster and got cancelled due to illness. I meant to reschedule it for this summer and never did, so maybe I'll try again on that one too.
What was your favorite thing you did this summer?
If you count May as part of the summer, my favorite was going to Florida with DS for my Dad's 80th birthday!

Last edited:
A little background: For years, I've put up a foam poster board on our coat closet door sometime in the spring, with a block of small sticky notes on it. When we think of fun things to do over the summer, we write them on a square and stick it somewhere on the poster. After we do a thing, we move the stickies to a "checked-off" box in the corner:

View attachment 783950
(Edited photo because some of them have other people's real names on them.)

No, we haven't done everything. DH was sick for what felt like most of July. But he's all sorted out now, and we have a lot of good weather left here in Mass. This is also the first year in a while we are not restricted by a return to the school schedule, so there's hope for a few more stickies - maybe up to 4 of the 7 left.

I don't think the weekend trip to NYC is going to happen this time. There's also a zoo outing with a friend and her DD that was originally on last summer's poster and got cancelled due to illness. I meant to reschedule it for this summer and never did, so maybe I'll try again on that one too.

If you count May as part of the summer, my favorite was going to Florida with DS for my Dad's 80th birthday!
The foam board is a amazing idea! We are totally doing this!!!

Did you do everything that you wanted to do? Definitely. This year was so much better than last year since we weren't having any renovations done, and I was free. We had two vacations in Cape Cod that were both wonderful. I wanted to see a few different friends throughout the summer, my childhood beach BFF, my school BFF, my old para, a retired colleague, an old friend, and my kindergarten team that I will be leading this year. I enjoyed my pool and my backyard. I read about 2 books a week, and I turned in a large bag of books to my used book store. I left with 10 used books which should last me a month or two. I did some deep cleaning, organizing, and schoolwork. I happily returned to my old church. I had some very necessary alone time. I managed to maintain my weight. I stayed relatively active.

Anything you're putting off until next summer? Entertaining larger groups.

What was your favorite thing you did this summer? Reuniting with my childhood friend in Cape Cod; staring at Cape Cod Bay; seeing whales and dolphins in the Atlantic Ocean; and eating colossal shrimp at Pepe's Wharf.

View attachment 783866
Welcome to Tuesday!!!

It’s so funny, I planned my week of “hosting” over the weekend and then yesterday we all started discussing the end of summer and I already had planned that as our topic for Tuesday!!

Temperature wise we are still in full swing of summer so it’s hard to imagine that’s it’s coming to a end for us, but I know it is!

My summer was great, I enjoyed my time off and did everything that I wanted to do! I don’t know that I could pick one thing as my “favorite” but fostering and then adopting our dog and spending quality time with family are definitely high on the list!

I have not put anything off thankfully and I still have one more day trip to do-a lake day with DD, my niece and nephew. I need to get that on the calendar before the end of the month!!

Have a great Tuesday everyone!!
So, with summer winding down-did you do everything that you wanted to do?

I'm not very organized keeping a list of what I want to do, so probably not really. I love @PollyannaMom board idea. I want to start something like this and since we're past the school breaks schedule, I might do something visual for each season or something. I'm not very good at doing something out of our normal routine and I think this would help!

What was your favorite thing you did this summer?

My favorite thing from this summer would have to be our Alaska cruise vacation. It was so special to my mom and our whole family. Everything went so smoothly and everyone got along great! It truly couldn't have gone better and I'm so thankful for that.

Yes, we did everything we wanted. Which was mostly not be home!

It's hard to pick a favorite. I loved NYC, we loved visiting our friends in Buffalo and loved seeing my brother in Florida and then lounging on the beach for almost a week. I think one of the surprising things I loved was that someone from his condo building puts on a 4th of July fireworks show. It was such fun to just stand on the deck and watch these amazing fireworks go off. And then to look up and down the beach and see others doing the same. That doesn't happen here in the Pacific NW where wildfires are always at the front of everyone's minds!

6F3767F2-C2D8-4460-B702-AE1920B5C903.jpeg
Welcome to Wednesday!!! What are you Whooooohoooooing today??

I really enjoyed hearing everyone’s summer recaps-that was fun!

Whoooohoooo we are getting some much needed landscaping done this week!!! We have been on a waitlist all summer for some major clear out from a late fall storm last year (more yard waste than we could ever dispose of ourselves), flower bed stone refresh and new edging and yesterday was the first day and it’s already looking amazing!!!

Whoooohooo for low humidity yesterday and again today-it’s really lovely for it to be warm but not feel like your suffocating!

Have a great Wednesday everyone!

Woohoo... a dress I've been admiring and dreaming about went on sale and my size was still available, so I treated myself and bought it. I haven't worn that brand before so I'm hoping the XL will fit and I'll be able to take it to WDW with me, but for sure it will go to Morocco with me in the Spring.

Woohoo... the UTI is over and done with and I'm feeling more myself again. It threw me off-course with my health goals, even tho I am on-track with where I planned to be weight wise. I'll be purging the 'fridge this evening and doing a complete food reset.

Woohoo... I have six sugar pumpkins growing in the garden and the two oldest ones are starting to show some orange.

Last edited:
WooHoo - we just booked a small getaway for Labor Day weekend. We are going to do a short cruise - we love to cruise, but have never done one less than 7 days before, so we'll see if we like this 3 day one that we have booked. I got a good offer for one and with points to fly on, we just couldn't pass it up!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter